i4 power

TurboTambo

Reaction score
The i4 in the Emira has the tuning potential to give this car supercar status. 600bhp+ tuning potential. Not sure I'll be stressing the engine to those levels, but 450-500bhp will be easily achievable, low cost and reliable. Bye bye 718 GT4

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The i4 in the Emira has the tuning potential to give this car supercar status. 600bhp+ tuning potential. Not sure I'll be stressing the engine to those levels, but 450-500bhp will be easily achievable, low cost and reliable. Bye bye 718 GT4
I hear this a lot but so far have not seen a 600 hp M139. People keep parroting a 2020 article about renntech and 600hp being possible — but so far the only package that renntech has released is a 490hp piggyback.

How do you know it’s reliable?

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's this that confuses me a little, if you're not bothered about a warranty and are prepared to run a tuned British car without one, want 5-600bhp just buy a 570 and have a car that was developed to handle it rather than end up with a 100k plus 4 banger?
But when have cars like these needed to make sense 😄🤷🏻
I guess it's purely the thing of wanting something individual but then how many 570s do you see knocking about?

teamvxracing

Reaction score
maybe people have never heard of a Lotus type 116 Turbo before , or the later type 121

simonb

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If the Chinese i4 are going to get 400 horsepower, then the 360 figure is more odd, particularly on an engine with currently 380, 400 and 416 horsepower options

TurboTambo

Reaction score
I hear this a lot but so far have not seen a 600 hp M139. People keep parroting a 2020 article about renntech and 600hp being possible — but so far the only package that renntech has released is a 490hp piggyback.

How do you know it’s reliable?
Have a look at this from a year ago. The tuning potential of the M139 awesome. Just have to bear in mind reliability when the figures get silly.

TurboTambo

Reaction score
It's this that confuses me a little, if you're not bothered about a warranty and are prepared to run a tuned British car without one, want 5-600bhp just buy a 570 and have a car that was developed to handle it rather than end up with a 100k plus 4 banger?
But when have cars like these needed to make sense 😄🤷🏻
I guess it's purely the thing of wanting something individual but then how many 570s do you see knocking about?
A 500bhp+ Emira is still way cheaper than a 570s. A used 570s in Australia would cost me a minimum $325k (exc. gov costs). Emira all the way for me. Also, the Lotus warranty is only a couple of years anyway.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I remember seeing M139 tunes being taken off market after an onrush of them.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
A 500bhp+ Emira is still way cheaper than a 570s. A used 570s in Australia would cost me a minimum $325k (exc. gov costs). Emira all the way for me. Also, the Lotus warranty is only a couple of years anyway.
OK different to the uk then, 570s Starts from less than a new emira and warranty is 3yrs.

£74k is the cheapest 570s so £5k cheaper than my Emira on the road

Honeywell

Reaction score
OK different to the uk then, 570s Starts from less than a new emira and warranty is 3yrs.

Bit brave to buy a six year old McLaren at a mileage approaching new clutch territory.

Amajor attraction of the Emira to me is for that money it's got three years manufacturer warranty and a £600 a year fixed cost service plan plus everything is new and will nly be driven by me with my mechanical sympathy. I don't want something that some young Sheik has been ragging up the Kings Road at 2am that can hand you a £10,000 service bill suprise all in exchange for worse looks and more power than I can use satisfactorily on the road.

I'd walk past a McLaren to get to an Emira any day. Though of the silly supercars I'd go McLaren over the others just for hydraulic steering,

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
A used 570s in Australia would cost me a minimum $325k (exc. gov costs).

570s are ~$155-200k here in the US. The 150k range 570s typically have over 30k miles and 3+ owners. A clean 2017+ single owner 570 with under 20k miles will be in the $175-190k range.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
570s are ~$155-200k here in the US. The 150k range 570s typically have over 30k miles and 3+ owners. A clean 2017+ single owner 570 with under 20k miles will be in the $175-190k range.
Those prices in the US are quickly dropping from what I've seen, I've seen 570S with your criteria and 1 owner dropping into the high 150s and low 160s.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Those prices in the US are quickly dropping from what I've seen, I've seen 570S with your criteria and 1 owner dropping into the high 150s and low 160s.

Good. Any idea what they were pre-pandemic? I wasn't shopping 570s back then.

I know 981 GT4s were in the 75-90k range. Then they jumped to 90-120k and slowly coming back down.

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, cars are expensive here. I would have bought a Mclaren MP4-12C (or even a Noble M12) if I could get one at UK prices.
Please spare a thought for those of us in Singapore as well. The new budget got announced yesterday and there is yet ANOTHER year on year hike in car taxes... which I am estimating to bring the total price of an Emira to the range of SGD$550k fml...

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Please spare a thought for those of us in Singapore as well. The new budget got announced yesterday and there is yet ANOTHER year on year hike in car taxes... which I am estimating to bring the total price of an Emira to the range of SGD$550k fml...
Having spent a little time in Singapore traffic, the last thing the island needs is more cars! :p Bummer though.

Fido

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Why would it be 380bhp? With the more complex issue of mid engine cooling maybe the quoted 360 is as much as thy could get.
The torque figure is the key one. Peak torque of 420Nm compared to the V6 410Nm suggests to me that real world performance of the I4 will be better than the V6. We know the I4 revs freely and it will have a near flat torque delivery curve. Peak HP will be capped by the mapping for brochure purposes alone, I’d struggle to see any way Lotus would design an installation that required the base engine to be de-rated for any technical reason. The lighter weight and DSG box will give it a further edge in performance too. 0-62mph (0-100kph) times are generally pointless and usually modelled anyway. Constructors will perform the odd test to prove that the modelling is accurate but it’s very hard to get everything perfect to deliver. The test is usually quite abusive and it’s easy to spin a few tenths away scrabbling for max traction.
A petrol engine will never best an electric equivalent as an electric motor can deliver peak torque at zero rpm, so if standing start times are important to you you’re on the wrong forum!
At some point Lotus will undoubtedly produce higher output tunes of the I4. More power will lift top speed but unless you have access to somewhere to do 180mph, then the torque figure is the one that should attract your interest because that will deliver driving performance.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The torque figure is the key one. Peak torque of 420Nm compared to the V6 410Nm suggests to me that real world performance of the I4 will be better than the V6. We know the I4 revs freely and it will have a near flat torque delivery curve. Peak HP will be capped by the mapping for brochure purposes alone, I’d struggle to see any way Lotus would design an installation that required the base engine to be de-rated for any technical reason. The lighter weight and DSG box will give it a further edge in performance too. 0-62mph (0-100kph) times are generally pointless and usually modelled anyway. Constructors will perform the odd test to prove that the modelling is accurate but it’s very hard to get everything perfect to deliver. The test is usually quite abusive and it’s easy to spin a few tenths away scrabbling for max traction.
A petrol engine will never best an electric equivalent as an electric motor can deliver peak torque at zero rpm, so if standing start times are important to you you’re on the wrong forum!
At some point Lotus will undoubtedly produce higher output tunes of the I4. More power will lift top speed but unless you have access to somewhere to do 180mph, then the torque figure is the one that should attract your interest because that will deliver driving performance.
It's only ½ tank of petrol lighter due to the heavier gear box.

Tbh though it's all becoming a mute point since I heard an i4 at Hethel 🤣😬😬