i4 power

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Might be another reason the i4 is only quoted as 360bhp in the Emira If this a45s dyno run is anything to go by it makes little more than that in the front engined supposed 420bhp merc and torque is WAY down.

Might not be whupping those v6 boys just yet šŸ˜„

krist

Reaction score
with 380 bhp, 420Nm and an 8 speed dsg, plus some weight saving on top of it, it should be really fast. At least I hope so :)

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
with 380 bhp, 420Nm and an 8 speed dsg, plus some weight saving on top of it, it should be really fast. At least I hope so :)
Why would it be 380bhp? With the more complex issue of mid engine cooling maybe the quoted 360 is as much as thy could get.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If you read the comments, the car had a fault according to the owner and will be retested hopefully.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Quite the let down for AMG

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are some comments from the AMG owner (in comments, not mentioned in video). Apparently there was an issue found with a water pump (possibly charge cooler pump) on the AMG that could explain the shortfall in expected power (investigated and found only after power was lower than expected). The car is 2.5 years old apparently.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Still amazes me how much power can be generated by 2ltr engine these days.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Also , if you watch the drag races with the Merc and Audi etc (different cars), the Merc is extremely close to the Audi. Certainly not 40 bhp behind. I tend to believe the owner that not all was right with the Merc.

simonb

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Why would it be 380bhp? With the more complex issue of mid engine cooling maybe the quoted 360 is as much as thy could get.
the complex cooling issues are more in the A45 with the exhaust on the rear bulkhead
Emira may be less of an issue as it is behind the engine
The Turbo may end up in the hot bit

krist

Reaction score
Tuning potential with the AMG engined i4 is a win and will no doubt form the future versions 410, 430 etc.

Iā€™m biased as an i4 depositor and hope that when announced the press say itā€™s the Emira to have over the V6
and 450, 500... this engine is insanely tunable
it is in the film above. I can bet you my last penny, the 360 is just a figure used to make enough difference between i4 and v6. If both were about 400, that would be confusing for the customers. And I can also bet the "cooling issues" is just a phrase used to somehow confirm that. With most cooling units at the front anyway, and additional space for coolers in the middle, where would that problems come from? Ferrari, McLaren have no problem cooling a much larger turbocharged v8s, so why cooling a small 4 cylinder engine would be an issue?

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agree; none of the diff / transmission drag you hear and feel on the V6 too. Well at least I did on my test drive on Friday.

Must say not a big fan of the steering wheel. Big chunk at 10-2 suppose it will grow on me

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had my test drive recently and I was discussing the I4 power rating with the sales guy. He was adamant that there are no cooling limitations with the I4 and the 360bhp is purely a detune to keep some air between the V6 and also future hotter models based on a more exploited version of the same I4 engine.

Latest signals are for I4 testers to hit the dealerships in July/August.

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
and 450, 500... this engine is insanely tunable

it is in the film above. I can bet you my last penny, the 360 is just a figure used to make enough difference between i4 and v6. If both were about 400, that would be confusing for the customers. And I can also bet the "cooling issues" is just a phrase used to somehow confirm that. With most cooling units at the front anyway, and additional space for coolers in the middle, where would that problems come from? Ferrari, McLaren have no problem cooling a much larger turbocharged v8s, so why cooling a small 4 cylinder engine would be an issue?
Because ferrari and maclaren etc develop their engines from scratch specifically for that purpose, not borrowing one from a hatch back. šŸ¤·šŸ»

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Quite sure i4 will bring some positive news for Lotus and us deposit holders. Being first campaign of 50 canā€™t wait

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are some comments from the AMG owner (in comments, not mentioned in video). Apparently there was an issue found with a water pump (possibly charge cooler pump) on the AMG that could explain the shortfall in expected power (investigated and found only after power was lower than expected). The car is 2.5 years old apparently.

I think itā€™s the secondary electric water pump that cools the block. Itā€™s an on demand pump controlled by the ECU to ensure proper cooling at full power. Likely it disables full power output if it isnā€™t working.

The main water pump is mechanically driven. I remember seeing the engine build on these in a video and thinking, ā€œwow if that water pump fails, thatā€™s gonna be a pain in the ass to get toā€. I remember it being deeply integrated, sounds like an engine out procedure to fix.

You know how that goes with Lotusesā€¦

Last edited:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Because ferrari and maclaren etc develop their engines from scratch specifically for that purpose, not borrowing one from a hatch back. šŸ¤·šŸ»
With respect, what an eyeroll-inducing load of tosh :)

The cooling of any liquid-cooled engine in any packaging is going to come down to whether the cooling loop has sufficient capacity and flow rate to pump heat away from the block and turbo (and why shouldn't it?), and whether the radiators have sufficient surface area and airflow to dump that heat into the atmosphere (and why shouldn't they, stuck up the front with loads of ducting?). A longer loop in a mid-engine layout can actually provide more liquid capacity to absorb and carry the heat than in a front-engine layout.

I can't see why there would be an issue TBH, if the radiators are up to snuff.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
With respect, what an eyeroll-inducing load of tosh :)

The cooling of any liquid-cooled engine in any packaging is going to come down to whether the cooling loop has sufficient capacity and flow rate to pump heat away from the block and turbo (and why shouldn't it?), and whether the radiators have sufficient surface area and airflow to dump that heat into the atmosphere (and why shouldn't they, stuck up the front with loads of ducting?). A longer loop in a mid-engine layout can actually provide more liquid capacity to absorb and carry the heat than in a front-engine layout.

I can't see why there would be an issue TBH, if the radiators are up to snuff.
Car certainly has plenty of space for radiators up front. I believe one of the front vents up on the manual v6 isn't even used at all and is for the automatic.

One thing to consider is the DCT on the AMG M139 also has a heat exchanger that shares the same coolant loop as the engine.