Is this really the one to get?

Stonecutter

Reaction score
So I’m obsessive, and even though I just joined I have been lurking for a while and overloading info on the Emira. In the kind of person who will spend 2 years obsessing on this before I get it.

This morning coming back from coffee I had a thought. I nailed a couple
Rev matched down shifts and powered out of a sharp right turn throwing me back in my seat and it just a moment of “this is the absolute bliss of a weekend car”. I have the Audi 5 cylinder and while not the best at anything it has presence, sounds and more importantly that I never gave much thought to a mass of torque down low.

So I wondered how the Toyota V6 would have handled that. The lotus would no doubt be like sex in the handling and turning aspect of it but on a public road what of the rest? I have looked at my engine dyno Vs the lotus dyno and the lower end torque gap is something I need to see and feel in person running out 2nd and 3rd. I made a joke the other day about swapping the Audi 5 in the emira but as a 400hp engine it really would I think be a great fit. Then I realized duh, the Mercedes 4 is probably going to act literally the exact same way. Then I started wondering if that is truly the Emira to get and if I could live without the manual and the sounds.

I have no experience with the SC Toyota but read a ton about the linear power and I really wonder how that feels under 60mph. I may be a kid, but this is a toy and getting pushed back in your seat while not a priority is a major part of the public road experience to me.

Is anyone else who would normally all day long want the sound and manual considering this engine? If so what are your reasons/thoughts on why? I never even considered this engine option until this morning. Now I am……

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I do love sound but I have had that and my STI is loud and a manual and is my DD so I get my fix.

I am considering getting the I4 because I believe it will be quick, responsive, and nimble compared to big strong, linear, and great sound. I believe I am splitting hairs a little but this is how Lotus has described the power trains in video interviews. However I don't really want another turbo car. So I guess I am kind of like you, I want the V6 but excited and totally open to the I4. I also wonder what the I4 redline is?

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I do love sound but I have had that and my STI is loud and a manual and is my DD so I get my fix.

I am considering getting the I4 because I believe it will be quick, responsive, and nimble compared to big strong, linear, and great sound. I believe I am splitting hairs a little but this is how Lotus has described the power trains in video interviews. However I don't really want another turbo car. So I guess I am kind of like you, I want the V6 but excited and totally open to the I4. I also wonder what the I4 redline is?
If turbo it will not be anything that high. I think mine redlines at 7100, but it sounds like a “race car” after 3500.

I assume the amg is an excellent engine. Modern turbos have little lag and hold power through the range. If race car sounds at the high end that would be a huge bonus to the amg.

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
the kind of person who will spend 2 years obsessing on this before I get it.
Good news! You'll have to spend 2 years obsessing before you get one, whether you like it or not :p

I think folks that are after the manual experience are unlikely to change camps for the engine, as the overlap with the group looking for something that sounds more exotic is high. I historically put a lot of weight on a nice sound (every car I've ever owned has had the exhaust system replaced for sound as much as power reasons), but I also like a bit of turbo-shove-in-the-back, so my inner conflict is almost entirely on the sound issue.

For me personally, the idea of the AMG i4 and DCT in this chassis just checked the right boxes for what I was looking for... a modern drivetrain with so much tuning potential, that is both easy to drive daily in traffic, but also robust and savage if you take it by the scruff of the neck.

As long as it doesn't sound as dull as dishwater (🤞 ) , I think it is a winner for those who want the "new school" flavour of Emira rather than something more classic.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was looking at the Evora before the Emira, but mostly found owners complaining about gearbox linkage. A real Achilles heel for many years. The Toyota V6 is solid reliable but lacks pedigree and for me it’s old engine block - I preferred something more exotic but wished for its reliability.
As soon as the AMG was mentioned; I knew it would be the engine choice to have, even without a manual.

Powerful, slightly lighter overall, forged internals matched with a fast DCT, and A45 have so far been reliable. I think the turbo torque hit and high rpm engine noise will make the Emira feel like a mini GT racer. It’s no coincidence that all new mild hybrid AMGs engines are M139 based.

Last edited:

grahamgreen

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was looking at the Evora before the Emira, but mostly found owners complaining about gearbox linkage. A real Achilles heel for many years. The Toyota V6 is solid reliable but lacks pedigree and for me it’s old engine block - I preferred something more exactic but wished for its reliability.
As soon as the AMG was mentioned; I knew it would be the engine choice to have, even without a manual.

Powerful, slightly lighter overall, forged internals matched with a fast DCT, and A45 have so far been reliable. I think the turbo torque hit and high rpm engine noise will make the Emira feel like a mini GT racer. It’s no coincidence that all new mild hybrid AMGs engines are M139 based.
Exactly my thinking. Role on July

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I was looking at the Evora before the Emira, but mostly found owners complaining about gearbox linkage. A real Achilles heel for many years. The Toyota V6 is solid reliable but lacks pedigree and for me it’s old engine block - I preferred something more exactic but wished for its reliability.

I think you nailed the rationale for this. Plus the fact that while I normally wouldn’t run a car, this one would be bagging for it and the rest of car I’m sure can handle it.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Not the best sound but not the worst - just look how rapid it is in the A45S!! go to 03:00

Top end engine noise in this clip.

Last edited:

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was going for touring, but looking at how rapid the car might be off the line, Sports suspension might be more suited to the i4..... hmmm. It will be my weekend car..... Will need to test drive both suspension.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So I’m obsessive, and even though I just joined I have been lurking for a while and overloading info on the Emira. In the kind of person who will spend 2 years obsessing on this before I get it.

This morning coming back from coffee I had a thought. I nailed a couple
Rev matched down shifts and powered out of a sharp right turn throwing me back in my seat and it just a moment of “this is the absolute bliss of a weekend car”. I have the Audi 5 cylinder and while not the best at anything it has presence, sounds and more importantly that I never gave much thought to a mass of torque down low.

So I wondered how the Toyota V6 would have handled that. The lotus would no doubt be like sex in the handling and turning aspect of it but on a public road what of the rest? I have looked at my engine dyno Vs the lotus dyno and the lower end torque gap is something I need to see and feel in person running out 2nd and 3rd. I made a joke the other day about swapping the Audi 5 in the emira but as a 400hp engine it really would I think be a great fit. Then I realized duh, the Mercedes 4 is probably going to act literally the exact same way. Then I started wondering if that is truly the Emira to get and if I could live without the manual and the sounds.

I have no experience with the SC Toyota but read a ton about the linear power and I really wonder how that feels under 60mph. I may be a kid, but this is a toy and getting pushed back in your seat while not a priority is a major part of the public road experience to me.

Is anyone else who would normally all day long want the sound and manual considering this engine? If so what are your reasons/thoughts on why? I never even considered this engine option until this morning. Now I am……
I was originally in the i4 camp but switched over to a v6 a day after placing the reservation when it was announced. I sat down and analyzed _why_ I wanted this car and in the end it was that I wanted a more engaging car. I have a twin turbo car with a dct now and it's considerably faster than the Emira ever will be -- but in the end -- it's not engaging. Following that mindset, the M139 AMG w/ DCT won't be nearly as engaging as the V6 in basically every aspect.

The test drive sealed the deal for me, while it would be a slower car it would be a much more fun experience that I can hold on to for decades to come as everything goes all electric. Another point I thought about was -- if I wanted to buy a turbo 4 cylinder sports car, there's a ton of those out on the market.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
IF only the Emira had the latest Civic R engine and manual transmission..... it will be the perfect car from me.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
might do as well as the Emira.
buy a Civic R then 🤷‍♂️
I’m not in a market for a Hot Hatch, if I was it would be either the Civic R or GR Yaris. Both cracking cars.

The Emira is likely to be my last ICE purchase.

Reactions: ADC

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a test drive later today, haven't driven an Emira or Evora to date.

But I would expect the difference is in the Emira V6 you'd carry more speed into the corner and keep engine on boil higher in the rev range to have torque on hand out of the corner. Nailing that itself should be pretty joyful and engaging, but without a doubt a different driving experience to a turbo'ed engine.

I've been driving an Mx5 ND for the summer, its not fast by any means and there is no surge of power anywhere in the band (it's NA of course), though it does rev to 7.5k. But is it engaging and fun, absolutely. Coming from that has desensitised my turbo surge cravings, the Emira should feel great.

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I think you are going into your drive with the right mindset and from a nice driving car that the emira should be similar to but better in all ways.

I think the reality is that it is going to be a while before anyone who didn’t order a FE will be able to drive one and while I do agree with all the manualv6 Comments, I think if you haven’t ordered already and are not staunchly opposed to paddles, it may be worth a wait for that to test drive.

Having no lotus experience it is hard to read the comments on the manual and have an idea. It would be nice if they could get regional dealers a demo car that stays there so that people could decide to put on order or not.