• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Horsepower and torque readings with modifications

tnbuilder

Reaction score
So with the display that shows the hp, torque, and boost%...is this some measurement or just a throttle and rpm curve that is preprogrammed? I am wondering of you add an exhaust and/or tune, would those numbers be correct, or just read whatever it is based on throttle and RPM from stock?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So with the display that shows the hp, torque, and boost%...is this some measurement or just a throttle and rpm curve that is preprogrammed? I am wondering of you add an exhaust and/or tune, would those numbers be correct, or just read whatever it is based on throttle and RPM from stock?
It's a readout of the current position in the load table in the ECU's programming. Basically it's how much torque the conditions and the throttle position are requesting. HP is calculated from that number based on RPM.

Aftermarket mods will shift the load state, so they should be reflected. At least until the load table reaches the end and maxes out, in which case you'll need a tune/reflash. I don't know how high the load table goes in the Emira's factory programming. Time will tell.

If the readout isn't from the load state itself but just from the "request" table, then it probably won't show any change even with mods.

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's a readout of the current position in the load table in the ECU's programming. Basically it's how much torque the conditions and the throttle position are requesting. HP is calculated from that number based on RPM.

Aftermarket mods will shift the load state, so they should be reflected. At least until the load table reaches the end and maxes out, in which case you'll need a tune/reflash. I don't know how high the load table goes in the Emira's factory programming. Time will tell.
I am sure you are right on this but having done the exhaust and 3rd cat delete I’ve not noticed and difference. Probably worth noting what they show before doing the mods.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am sure you are right on this but having done the exhaust and 3rd cat delete I’ve not noticed and difference. Probably worth noting what they show before doing the mods.
They probably also don't make much measurable performance difference without accompanying tuning.

Even on a dyno doing back to back before/after runs you're talking single digit percentage changes. You aren't going to see that sort of subtle difference on an in car entertainment HP/tq approximation screen.