Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 15.41.46.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 15.42.13.jpeg
    Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 15.42.13.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 218

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hmmm must be the lighting but the green almost looks black.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Confirms my concerns about colors. With the exception of shadow gray, which seems to have some non-homogeneity, the other colors all read flat despite Lotus describing them as metallic. Like they came out of a box of crayons. Yet I still think they need to be seen on a car. Magma red looks like Ferrari red. I’m not particularly inspired by these.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Confirms my concerns about colors. With the exception of shadow gray, which seems to have some non-homogeneity, the other colors all read flat despite Lotus describing them as metallic. Like they came out of a box of crayons. Yet I still think they need to be seen on a car. Magma red looks like Ferrari red. I’m not particularly inspired by these.
Can someone learn if the FE i4 has the same color pallette? Thanks.

DaveH

Reaction score
I hope folks don’t deride me for saying this, but honestly, I’m disappointed in the color offerings for the Emira so far, with the caveat of course that we’ve only seen computer renderings or video of live cars. I hope I’ll be happier when colors can be evaluated in the flesh. Lotus is producing a brand new sports car, with their future depending upon its success in the marketplace against staunch and accomplished competitors. Something as simple as color choice is restricted to a small subset of options, and the most common colors for sports cars (red, black, silver and white) are not represented. At least half of the colors have a fad quality, like Seneca blue or the battleship gray. Moreover, there are no metallic or three stage paint options in any color for those of us who prefer some shimmer. No deeper colors like dark blue or burgundy. Color is one of the most obvious ways that we personalize a car and choices should be maximized if lotus is going to compete best in the American market. I have heard from my dealer that this restricted color palette reflects Lotus piloting a new painting process technology that can’t yet accommodate metallic flake, multistage paints, or even flat white. I’m all for innovation, but if it potentially comes at the cost of customer preference at launch, and thereby trigger delays in purchase or worse yet, choosing a worthy alternative (can you say Porsche or C8 Corvette convertible) it may not be the smartest approach. Lotus, please expand the roster of exterior and interior choices to match or exceed those offered by your competitors. I love the artistry of the car’s design both inside and out, but to my eye the color choices, despite their retro character, fall a bit flat.
Totally agree. Another thing I've seen NO mention of anywhere is the safety aspect of some of these colors. I'm sure there'd be insurance company statistics somewhere that would relate to this but surely dark green and 'road color' greys would not stand a chance of being picked out easily by oncoming drivers compared to red, white and yellow, and especially considering our low profile. To me, if I'd chosen one of those forementioned colors I'd be running at all times with headlights on in full daylight not just dawn or dusk. (Not that I do a lot of the former). Hopefully I've not opened up a bag of worms!

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Totally agree. Another thing I've seen NO mention of anywhere is the safety aspect of some of these colors. I'm sure there'd be insurance company statistics somewhere that would relate to this but surely dark green and 'road color' greys would not stand a chance of being picked out easily by oncoming drivers compared to red, white and yellow, and especially considering our low profile. To me, if I'd chosen one of those forementioned colors I'd be running at all times with headlights on in full daylight not just dawn or dusk. (Not that I do a lot of the former). Hopefully I've not opened up a bag of worms!
Ive never seen any car released with that info, is that common is Australia? Seems like having the freedom to choose your own colour and switching on headlights would be enough to mitigate?

Schumacher

Reaction score
I hope folks don’t deride me for saying this, but honestly, I’m disappointed in the color offerings for the Emira so far, with the caveat of course that we’ve only seen computer renderings or video of live cars. I hope I’ll be happier when colors can be evaluated in the flesh. Lotus is producing a brand new sports car, with their future depending upon its success in the marketplace against staunch and accomplished competitors. Something as simple as color choice is restricted to a small subset of options, and the most common colors for sports cars (red, black, silver and white) are not represented. At least half of the colors have a fad quality, like Seneca blue or the battleship gray. Moreover, there are no metallic or three stage paint options in any color for those of us who prefer some shimmer. No deeper colors like dark blue or burgundy. Color is one of the most obvious ways that we personalize a car and choices should be maximized if lotus is going to compete best in the American market. I have heard from my dealer that this restricted color palette reflects Lotus piloting a new painting process technology that can’t yet accommodate metallic flake, multistage paints, or even flat white. I’m all for innovation, but if it potentially comes at the cost of customer preference at launch, and thereby trigger delays in purchase or worse yet, choosing a worthy alternative (can you say Porsche or C8 Corvette convertible) it may not be the smartest approach. Lotus, please expand the roster of exterior and interior choices to match or exceed those offered by your competitors. I love the artistry of the car’s design both inside and out, but to my eye the color choices, despite their retro character, fall a bit flat.
I am quite disappointed in the colors too. I only like about four colors. Why are there so many gray colors?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I am quite disappointed in the colors too. I only like about four colors. Why are there so many gray colors?

The next time you go to a hotel and stay in one of the upper floors. Look out and see the car colors. White, grey, black. It always shocks me. Those colors literally dominate in the states.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting analysis on car colours in the US:

View attachment 5384

This is a good example of why many folks here are so unhappy with the FE colour range. 5 of the 6 FE colors comprise about 20% of the colour selection by volume. Of course the above might not be sports car focused which might skew the numbers a bit but the point still stands.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The FE range is blue, green, yellow, red, silver and grey which I reckon is just over 50% of that. It does show omitting white and black misses a large part of the market.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The next time you go to a hotel and stay in one of the upper floors. Look out and see the car colors. White, grey, black. It always shocks me. Those colors literally dominate in the states.
Or do any factory tour and you’ll see the same. We did one with BMW in Munich. They took us into a room where painted bodies are waiting for engines and they were virtually all black, white, and grey with one or two reds and blues.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The FE range is blue, green, yellow, red, silver and grey which I reckon is just over 50% of that. It does show omitting white and black misses a large part of the market.
Personally I would put nimbus in the beige category. If Nimbus was actually silver I would have chosen it! :D

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
White increase is probably because it is the color Tesla doesn't charge for 🙂
Fridge white comes free with most cars, including Porsche. :ROFLMAO:

Given Lotus Aspen White is a pearlescent, that might mean that white is a paid-for option on the Lotus base edition cars. Hope I'm wrong!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting analysis on car colours in the US:

View attachment 5384
This is totally accurate! It's also why I wanted a proper confident green one. It's beautiful, and green stands out as different in the US. 🟢

Alas, DV too dark. Hethel too bright. Seneca good, but a bit intense for me personally. So absent any other color option, it had to be Magma.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus wanted the FE to have premium colors, and black and white are not considered premium. They're considered the cheap, base model standard colors. There are a lot of vehicles in black or white though, but is that because they're popular, or because that's what was on the dealer's lot and people didn't want to pay more for an upgrade color? We don't know because traditionally dealers order cars in the colors and packages they think will sell, so that's what people had to choose from.

The new business model of ordering from the factory is going to be interesting because we'll see what colors the customers are actually interested in, if they have the choice right up front.

That huge band of black, grey, silver and white is absolutely true where I live, so my Dark Verdant Emira is going to stand out like a dark emerald jewel from the deep forest. :)