Future Emira colors

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope folks don’t deride me for saying this, but honestly, I’m disappointed in the color offerings for the Emira so far, with the caveat of course that we’ve only seen computer renderings or video of live cars. I hope I’ll be happier when colors can be evaluated in the flesh. Lotus is producing a brand new sports car, with their future depending upon its success in the marketplace against staunch and accomplished competitors. Something as simple as color choice is restricted to a small subset of options, and the most common colors for sports cars (red, black, silver and white) are not represented. At least half of the colors have a fad quality, like Seneca blue or the battleship gray. Moreover, there are no metallic or three stage paint options in any color for those of us who prefer some shimmer. No deeper colors like dark blue or burgundy. Color is one of the most obvious ways that we personalize a car and choices should be maximized if lotus is going to compete best in the American market. I have heard from my dealer that this restricted color palette reflects Lotus piloting a new painting process technology that can’t yet accommodate metallic flake, multistage paints, or even flat white. I’m all for innovation, but if it potentially comes at the cost of customer preference at launch, and thereby trigger delays in purchase or worse yet, choosing a worthy alternative (can you say Porsche or C8 Corvette convertible) it may not be the smartest approach. Lotus, please expand the roster of exterior and interior choices to match or exceed those offered by your competitors. I love the artistry of the car’s design both inside and out, but to my eye the color choices, despite their retro character, fall a bit flat.
New info has leaked that there will be 13 colors in total, so we haven’t seen everything yet!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I hope folks don’t deride me for saying this, but honestly, I’m disappointed in the color offerings for the Emira so far, with the caveat of course that we’ve only seen computer renderings or video of live cars. I hope I’ll be happier when colors can be evaluated in the flesh. Lotus is producing a brand new sports car, with their future depending upon its success in the marketplace against staunch and accomplished competitors. Something as simple as color choice is restricted to a small subset of options, and the most common colors for sports cars (red, black, silver and white) are not represented. At least half of the colors have a fad quality, like Seneca blue or the battleship gray. Moreover, there are no metallic or three stage paint options in any color for those of us who prefer some shimmer. No deeper colors like dark blue or burgundy. Color is one of the most obvious ways that we personalize a car and choices should be maximized if lotus is going to compete best in the American market. I have heard from my dealer that this restricted color palette reflects Lotus piloting a new painting process technology that can’t yet accommodate metallic flake, multistage paints, or even flat white. I’m all for innovation, but if it potentially comes at the cost of customer preference at launch, and thereby trigger delays in purchase or worse yet, choosing a worthy alternative (can you say Porsche or C8 Corvette convertible) it may not be the smartest approach. Lotus, please expand the roster of exterior and interior choices to match or exceed those offered by your competitors. I love the artistry of the car’s design both inside and out, but to my eye the color choices, despite their retro character, fall a bit flat.
I'm on the same page as you Mike - worried that Seneca blue, while gorgeous, may be a touch "faddy" as you say. Same for the light grey, which may be like Porsche's "Crayon", which just looks like shiny primer to me!

The green is starting to look like an option for me, but I'd stick with black interior rather than the popular green/tan combo as, while a classic colourway, does not feel modern or technical enough for the car (for my taste at least).

The dark grey is also emerging as an option for me, my only reservation being it not contrasting strongly enough with the black roof, which is must for as it transforms the car by reducing visual mass and lowering it slightly, which it could use.

And let's face it, they knew what they were doing with the launch combo of Seneca blue and black roof which does look cool as hell, my only concern is these.... everybody's doing it.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 116
  • AETV92673387_1.jpg
    AETV92673387_1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2020-peugeot-e2008-cs-review-35.jpg
    2020-peugeot-e2008-cs-review-35.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 66
  • nit9vta_1511305.jpg
    nit9vta_1511305.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
  • B6B9E933-9898-479A-9FF4-4C176F27435B.jpeg
    B6B9E933-9898-479A-9FF4-4C176F27435B.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 70

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mike, there is another thread in here somewhere that says all colours apart from the Hethel Yellow, which is a flat yellow, will have a small metallic hint in them. It’s more likely that for the first editions, to ramp up production and get everything working as it should, it’s ideal not to have a million potential combinations. The custom order cars sound like they’ll be after the first year’s production and then there will be far greater choices. A further 13 colours have already been muted….

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That was probably from me on one of the other threads. I had a long chat with Lotus folks at Goodwood about colours, as I have a very early build slot and ideally want the option of Laser Blue or a metallic/pearlescent yellow. Hethel Yellow is the only solid colour in the 6 First Edition colours, the rest are metallic. In the past Lotus have catered for bespoke colours and one-off liveries if you pay a premium, but that won't be available on the Emira initially.

At the time (early July) Lotus had not decided the timing of the follow-on 13 colours or whether they would be available for later FE cars or only for own-spec cars. They were saying provisionally 3 months production of the 6 then start the 13. More recently I've seen unofficial documents suggesting the 6 are for FE and 13 for own-spec, but that's not been confirmed yet. It may be that the 6 are FE-only colours and the 13 are all new and for own-spec, but I think that's unlikely.

I'm expecting details on all this to be in the mid September update from Lotus with all the pricing, options and timings.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is a really nice color for Evora, and will be for the Emira as well. It really evokes a sense of elegance. I would pair it with a tan interior, or perhaps light gray. And I think bright wheels are the way to go to give some pop! Hope something like this will be available as a choice.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m wondering if there are any further insights about color offerings now that things are moving forward in the UK? Specifically…

1. What are the other seven colors?
2. If they will come on line about3-4 months into production, will they be available to select for a FE V6?
3. If not, will they be available to choose with an I4 FE when those start being made?

I’m betting their intent is to have the first 6 colors essentially identify any FE car and if it’s any other color it’s not a FE car. This would be disappointing to me, but given the way lotus has been acting I bet this is what will happen. Effectively, what this would mean is even if you are an early deposit maker and and the color and power plant you want are available, you can’t get all the bells and whistles you want unless you pay the premium to get all those items as independent options. That really seems unfair to those early adopters who simply want alternate color choices. It may turn out to be cost effective to get a FE car and wrap it completely in the color you want. That would cost about $5K, but I bet the differential between a fully loaded FE car and a comparably loaded own spec car will be more than this. Plus you get the benefit of protecting the original paint. I’m starting to think in these terms.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
It may turn out to be cost effective to get a FE car and wrap it completely in the color you want. That would cost about $5K, but I bet the differential between a fully loaded FE car and a comparably loaded own spec car will be more than this. Plus you get the benefit of protecting the original paint. I’m starting to think in these terms.

I'm considering this.. I really want a white Emira. My other cars are white.. I just think it's clean, classy, and can be sporty (if not a little unoriginal). So if PPF is gonna run me 3-4k anyway.. I can always opt to pay a bit more and get the whole car wrapped in a custom color and the original paint will be protected at the same time.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm considering this.. I really want a white Emira. My other cars are white.. I just think it's clean, classy, and can be sporty (if not a little unoriginal). So if PPF is gonna run me 3-4k anyway.. I can always opt to pay a bit more and get the whole car wrapped in a custom color and the original paint will be protected at the same time.
The thing that can’t be changed is the interior choice, so if your wrap color doesn’t match your desired interior, itself selected because it matches the actual paint, then you might not be happy either. For example, like you, my ideal car would be white, which I would pair with the black pack and a red interior. I can’t get this as a FE if we are limited to the first six colors. But I really don’t want to wait, I’d like to take advantage of the cost benefit of the FE with all the packages included, and I think my preferred drive train is the V6 with auto transmission. So the smart thing seems to be to get a FE car, and among the color choices I would select magma red with a tan interior. But the tan doesn’t go with white very well IMHO. Probably would look better with Silver metallic wrap matching what you sometimes see in Ferraris. Lotus could make this a lot easier if they would simply allow more flexibility in color choices, particularly if they will already be offering those colors for own spec cars. I’ll just have to wait, but if I have to wait 18 months to get the desired combo then I may shift to a different make/model. Don’t want to, but it may come to that. $100K is a lot of money to spend yet not get the car you want.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Here is the webpage from where I got the picture. I’m not knowledgeable about auto paint, so I don’t know exactly how they achieve this depth. But wow, I really love the outcome. It’s just like the 8C Competizione in launch edition color. Paired with a tan leather interior….OMG!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
First pictures of the colour samples for the UK dealer roadshows. More to follow
View attachment 462
Wow Tom, thanks for sharing! Observations - all with the caveat of never trusting screen colours:

Seneca Blue - looks like a true sample and rendering, it is definitely lighter than it appears in some photos.

Magma red - a LOT brighter and more true red than the configurator - tempting (although there is a risk of trying to look like youve got a baby ferrari...)

Nimbus grey - lighter than on the config, nice.

Shadow grey - man, this one looks so different in different photos, this looks at the lighter end of the spectrum and it's tempting me - but too "safe"?

Yellow - this POPS! The car already says look at me, do I want the colour to say that too? Also tempting as many Ferrari's and Lambo's look great in yellow.

Dark Verdant - DARK!!! But lovely with it, and fairly true to the config - think it will lighten up in daylight. I really love the look with the black pack and hope the green/black contrast is strong enough.

I think I now have more options than before, but having said that, it may all change again in the flesh! 🤣

Thanks again Tom

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
First pictures of the colour samples for the UK dealer roadshows. More to follow
View attachment 462
This is better than estimating from the small configurator dots. Would love to see how they look in sunlight. Keep the updates coming please. Thanks.