First Eletre rolls off Chinese production line.

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The last I heard was UK pricing due in Q4 and first UK deliveries next year.
Eletre – we will realise some info soon on spec / options and pricing. I believe there will be two completed cars arriving last ¼ this year, and we really push next ¼ with an Eletre tour, and then next year ordering and physical demonstrators.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but is this car really behind schedule? I mean, it was not released at the same time as the Emira and its a 100% new car, whereas the Emira is at best a big tweak on an outgoing car. So Im not sure what people were expecting as at launch the car was never promised for this year in any country was it?
I also claim copyright on the Kia rear end, the same as "romantic", Ive shown the likeness and I am thinking of initiating legal proceedings.... just as Kia may.. haha.
There will be some great looking EV's over the next few years, but for me the best at the moment is the Cross Tourismo. The Lotus has an awkward design which looks like 2 cars joined together around the rear quarter and I dont think it will be a huge success for Lotus in the EU as others will come out with similar priced cars but better designs, polestar for sure I feel are heading in that direction.
100k is a lot of money, although the interior looks great, but the practicality is awful!!! I have 2 dogs and 3 wives... how the hell will they fit in... boot space is an afterthought.
I wanted to want it.. but I cant... I will get a 600 HP Ironic 5 N, n for next year ... probably

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I might be wrong, but is this car really behind schedule? I mean, it was not released at the same time as the Emira and its a 100% new car, whereas the Emira is at best a big tweak on an outgoing car. So Im not sure what people were expecting as at launch the car was never promised for this year in any country was it?
I also claim copyright on the Kia rear end, the same as "romantic", Ive shown the likeness and I am thinking of initiating legal proceedings.... just as Kia may.. haha.
There will be some great looking EV's over the next few years, but for me the best at the moment is the Cross Tourismo. The Lotus has an awkward design which looks like 2 cars joined together around the rear quarter and I dont think it will be a huge success for Lotus in the EU as others will come out with similar priced cars but better designs, polestar for sure I feel are heading in that direction.
100k is a lot of money, although the interior looks great, but the practicality is awful!!! I have 2 dogs and 3 wives... how the hell will they fit in... boot space is an afterthought.
I wanted to want it.. but I cant... I will get a 600 HP Ironic 5 N, n for next year ... probably
No, it is not delayed yet, as was released in March this year. So 8 months after the Emira. This EV SUV is the Crown jewel for Geely at the moment. I believe it is the most expensive SUV in the entire portfolio. The whole reason for buying Lotus was for this purpose. The business case for Emira is not it. They invested 100 Mil into Hethel, but invested 1.2 Billion into the Eletre factory.

So Geely group is making the Lotus brand as their crown jewel. (which is great) They are most likely very ready to start production, if not already making Dealer demo Eletre's. That places Eletre at almost the same start of production as the Emira, (which is pretty crazy to think) and frankly they may be holding back the Eletre production due to this mis-timing.

Geely made serious investment into the Lotus brand. Just like Porsche, the 911 is the most important vehicle, not in term of sales but what it represents to the brand. Remove the 911, and I don't think you sell as many Macan's and Cayenne's. It's what gives the brand identity and Porsche can't afford to muck it up. Hethel and Emira (all Lotus sports cars in general) do the same for the Eletre. Gives them the heritage and the Emira is the pull to see the rest of the range. A lot is riding on Hethel's shoulders at the moment. It is the reason why the automotive press is HUGELY important to the success of Eletre via Emira. If the Emira falls flat, Geely will not be happy and Eletre will suffer massively.

Emira is the most important car to Lotus as a brand, but the Eletre is the one that will make it money. They need both to be successful. The stress Matt Windle and all of Hethel are under at the moment must be immense. There is a lot at stake here.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very true. They also need to show some Evija customer deliveries - a halo EV car to showcase the technology and sportiness.

That was badly affected by COVID and first deliveries should have been in June (back when first Emira deliveries were also June). The car was first shown in 2019.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very true. They also need to show some Evija customer deliveries - a halo EV car to showcase the technology and sportiness.

That was badly affected by COVID and first deliveries should have been in June (back when first Emira deliveries were also June). The car was first shown in 2019.
We are closing in on 4 years after reveal date before a single delivery for Evija. At the very least we can say that a customer actually owns an Emira!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
They also need to show some Evija customer deliveries - a halo EV car to showcase the technology and sportiness.

We are closing in on 4 years after reveal date before a single delivery for Evija. At the very least we can say that a customer actually owns an Emira!

Just recently I was told by someone on the inside that the Evija is "nowhere near production ready." 😬

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yuck
Z1TRa8j.jpg

Buadqlm.jpg
The Eletre interior is pretty special but I think the KIA may have the better lines!

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The more I look at Eletre I find it as 'exciting' as a Volvo to look at. Unlike Emira, Eletre is a Big Miss IMO.
I guess if you want 'Sexy' in an SUV you have to pay the big bucks...
1663704368053.png

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In all honesty, I don't get the sporty SUV. (I know they are popular) They are big heavy machines, meant to haul people or luggage. For me living in Canada, it's also to deal with the winter snow fall. Which is quite a lot sometimes. I bought a boring Lexus LX600, basically the Toyota Landcruiser for other parts of the world. May not be the most flashy, and for sure is not sporty, but it's a different kind of machine. Built for a purpose, and very well built at that. Would have loved a RR, but I have had a few and I am done with them breaking down.

I wish the Electre well, not my cup of tea. But for the sake of Emira and all other future sports cars I hope they sell a ton.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You mean this vehicle? 😄

View attachment 9017
🤣🤣🤣Alright, it's not the most flashy or perhaps best looking. However, the build quality is excellent. It's extremely comfortable and quiet and exactly what I look for in an SUV. Body on frame, tough as nails.

I figure I'll drive it into the ground as the next SUV I get will most likely be electric, So I wanted an ICE that will last.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
This is interesting and linked to Geely/Lotus

Then again it could just be click bait waffle..

The 1000km range is based on China's range metric, which tends to be very generous. I think I previously calculated like EPA range is 60% of Chinese range? So it'd be 372 miles of range, which is still really good but an incremental step forward and not game changing.

I'm not sure about the 10 minute charging claim. On one hand, Hyundai's e-GMP EVs can get to 10-80% charge in 18 minutes already, and I think there may be gains to be made there with battery management with preconditioning and cooling during charge. On the other hand, Hyundai can charge that percentage so quickly because it has a small ~77 kWh battery pack; in comparison, the Lucid Air has a ~118 kWh pack and charges at the same absolute rate, but it takes 30 minutes to charge the same percentage because of its larger pack. The Qilin pack is likely high kWh as well. So maybe it's not impossible but it's doubtful for now imo.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The 1000km range is based on China's range metric, which tends to be very generous. I think I previously calculated like EPA range is 60% of Chinese range? So it'd be 372 miles of range, which is still really good but an incremental step forward and not game changing.

I'm not sure about the 10 minute charging claim. On one hand, Hyundai's e-GMP EVs can get to 10-80% charge in 18 minutes already, and I think there may be gains to be made there with battery management with preconditioning and cooling during charge. On the other hand, Hyundai can charge that percentage so quickly because it has a small ~77 kWh battery pack; in comparison, the Lucid Air has a ~118 kWh pack and charges at the same absolute rate, but it takes 30 minutes to charge the same percentage because of its larger pack. The Qilin pack is likely high kWh as well. So maybe it's not impossible but it's doubtful for now imo.
They also neglect to mention that you’d need a 600 or 700KW charger to deliver that much energy in such a short time (not aware there is anything remotely close to that available). Are the internal cables and connectors rated for that (maybe at 800V).

CATL always produced LFP cells. LFP cells are lower energy density than NCA cells used in most Teslas. Tesla use LFP in the base standard range model 3/Y.

When they are talking about this higher energy density I guess they are comparing to LFP, not the current highest energy density in common usage. It seems comparisons are made but without being specific about the actual figures and what it’s being compared to.

Improvements and steps in the right direction yes, groundbreaking and game changing, not sure about that.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
To me the Rivian R1S is the only current electric SUV I would consider. Not sure I love the looks. But the attributes makes it more of an SUV in my eye. Obviously Lotus is the sports brand for Geely, and the ethos behind Eletre does fit that category better. As for current "sport" electric SUV's I don't really see much competition from other Euro brands yet. Even BMW's SUV, although quick, does look very sporty comparatively. So if they get it launched fairly quickly, and it drives well I can see it penetrating some market share. Depends on the price of course. Probably around the BMW M60 electric pricing I would expect.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
Looks like my theory on cash issues @ Lotus has just been solved this week.

A $4.5 billion valuation I don't think is bad from their initial target of $5-6 billion for IPO last year. There's A LOT of FUD in the stock market and especially around electric car manufacturers and especially especially around new and growing ones. It's been a lot harder for the companies to raise capital with the higher interest rates. In this climate with all those factors together, Lotus Tech still managed to raise money. So I think it bodes well that Lotus has the burden of proof in executing their build plans to elicit confidence for investments.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A $4.5 billion valuation I don't think is bad from their initial target of $5-6 billion for IPO last year. There's A LOT of FUD in the stock market and especially around electric car manufacturers and especially especially around new and growing ones. It's been a lot harder for the companies to raise capital with the higher interest rates. In this climate with all those factors together, Lotus Tech still managed to raise money. So I think it bodes well that Lotus has the burden of proof in executing their build plans to elicit confidence for investments.
From what I understand is NIO (Chinese EV) has some investment in there, also wonder if they are using their EV tech / batteries? I think with some funding secured, it's more about selling. They will need all the help they can get to start pushing sales... won't be as easy as Emira

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting below about the pricing on the Polestar 3. I think this is going to sell more than the Electra specially if the Electra is going to start around 100k which I think it will. I may move more the the Polestar 3 than the Electra. Have to test drive both

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interesting below about the pricing on the Polestar 3. I think this is going to sell more than the Electra specially if the Electra is going to start around 100k which I think it will. I may move more the the Polestar 3 than the Electra. Have to test drive both

Nice looking SUV, I must say I have been a fan of polestar and Volvo product lately... Different to the Germans, but still it's own unique identity.