• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

Lowtush

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Savage geese are doing an in-depth technical review on the Emira. I believe it's already been filmed. I am looking forward to that one.
I wonder when that will be. I posted this comment about a year ago on their Evora video and actually got a response.

1000016663.jpg

Kinda funny... 🤔😂

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great comparison. I like how he reluctantly acknowledged the Emira is out his boxter's league when it comes to design and driver's engagement. FOR THE DRIVERS!

Emira with sports suspension is too firm for a GT car.
I quite like the sport suspension and find it more comfortable than a previous Scirocco R with coil overs. You must have driven some really nice comfortable cars before. 😁👍🏻

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Great comparison. I like how he reluctantly acknowledged the Emira is out his boxter's league when it comes to design and driver's engagement. FOR THE DRIVERS!

Emira with sports suspension is too firm for a GT car.
You think so? The sport suspension on mine was just right. Not too firm but not too plush. It was very reminiscent of my old Evora GT suspension

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You think so? The sport suspension on mine was just right. Not too firm but not too plush. It was very reminiscent of my old Evora GT suspension
I drove a new Cayman 4.0 the day before the Emira and I definitely felt the steering was not as engaging. I liked the Porsche as it had a quality build, everything worked but looked a little dated and more tame.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I don't think the sports suspension is too firm. I think it's just right and smoothes out imperfections nicely, especially at speed. But let's not kid ourselves; it is very firm especially over broken pavement! Every minor and major imperfection is transmitted to the driver. It's razor edged and set up for feedback and increased road holding, not comfort. It's appropriate for a sports car but firmer than what's expected for comfortable grand touring. It's geared more towards spirited driving than daily commuting and long distances unlike the touring suspension.

Touring suspension = grand touring, sports suspension = sports car.

I quite like the sport suspension and find it more comfortable than a previous Scirocco R with coil overs. You must have driven some really nice comfortable cars before. 😁👍🏻

Coil-overs are adjustable and geared towards racing. Their most aggressive settings are usually uncomfortably stiff and much stiffer than OEM setups, especially the cheap ones.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Very happy owner of my Emira with Sports and Cup2s relegated to GT duties and canyon carving. :D
But saying that, touring is lovely and plush if that's your thing. My personal preference is sporty and firm.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To be honest I'm a little disappointed by their review as they stated the wanted to go into detail, but there is no news at all for the enthusiast like me. Neither they put the car on the scales to get some data.

And they did not go where this car shines, to the canyons. The harder the streets the better it gets, just a reminder:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I really wish they would've done one of their street reviews instead of talking about its track characteristics most of the time. I don't think this is a very good track car and I certainly won't be using it as such more than once or twice just for fun. Give us some back roads!

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I really wish they would've done one of their street reviews instead of talking about its track characteristics most of the time. I don't think this is a very good track car and I certainly won't be using it as such more than once or twice just for fun. Give us some back roads!
Yes, like this comment from 09:25...09:56 min:

Lowtush

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I generally enjoy their reviews, but I think Savagegeese offered-up a pretty safe review here. None of what they said is really rocking the boat amongst the sea of reviews, in my opinion. That's not to say it was a bad review; it just didn't feel as in-depth as I'd hoped for. I hold Savagegeese reviews in high esteem, and was left feeling a bit unfulfilled. I would have liked to hear more from Mark (the balder one) as well. He was the predominant voice in the Evora GT review they did, and would have preferred him behind the wheel having had that previous driving experience - - not to mention being a former Lotus owner. (No offense to Jack.)

My takeaway from the video was basically, if you want a Lotus, buy the Lotus. Otherwise, buy the 718/C8 because they're better cars. Is that a bad take?

I do think that if I didn't have a Lotus dealership as close as I do, I would be scared to own one. I felt like he was talking to me one-on-one with what he said about having to be in the right headspace to own a Lotus. Seems like many people are reporting issues with their Emira--even the car they reviewed had a CEL--and that is definitely off-putting. But the heart wants what it wants and the brain can only deny it so much.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
disappointing review... again, taking a street oriented setup on the track. Very Jethro type review I felt. Someone should let them know the Emira GT4 set a lap record at Silverstone this weekend. I'm willing to bet that a Chinese Emira (i4 400 BHP DCT) takes the Cayman GTS 4.0 on track.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Thanks for sharing this. Just found the time to watch this. This review reminds me of just how much I enjoy the old Top Gear reviews, where they measure a car on how well it achieves its intended goals, and what unique enjoyment it offers to a car enthusiast. There are some comparisons with the competition but those are just mentioned in passing to establish context. Even the various head to head comparison episodes have the hosts each picking a different favorite based on their own personal leanings.

This review is nothing like that. The top three key to the Emira is its exclusivity (in numbers and design), driver engagement, and daily usability. Any review that fails to apply increased weighting to these factors is missing the point. The car should be judged on how well it achieves these goals, not how well it competes with other cars against those other cars' strengths. Why fault the Emira for being a worse C8 than a C8, or a worse Cayman than a Cayman. Clearly, these cars offer a different mix and all three excel at what they offer. A buyer simply has to decide what they value the most and purchase accordingly. Don't fault a blueberry muffin for not having raisins.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for sharing this. Just found the time to watch this. This review reminds me of just how much I enjoy the old Top Gear reviews, where they measure a car on how well it achieves its intended goals, and what unique enjoyment it offers to a car enthusiast. There are some comparisons with the competition but those are just mentioned in passing to establish context. Even the various head to head comparison episodes have the hosts each picking a different favorite based on their own personal leanings.

This review is nothing like that. The top three key to the Emira is its exclusivity (in numbers and design), driver engagement, and daily usability. Any review that fails to apply increased weighting to these factors is missing the point. The car should be judged on how well it achieves these goals, not how well it competes with other cars against those other cars' strengths. Why fault the Emira for being a worse C8 than a C8, or a worse Cayman than a Cayman. Clearly, these cars offer a different mix and all three excel at what they offer. A buyer simply has to decide what they value the most and purchase accordingly. Don't fault a blueberry muffin for not having raisins.
well said

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just watched the review and my feeling is the guys REALLY wanted to give Lotus and the Emira a stellar review...but just couldn't b/c of the production quality and reliability issues that have been addressed here on the forum extensively.

They were almost BEGGING Lotus to get its act together...the ghosted message to Lotus was "You guys are SOOOOO CLOSE to producing a phenomenal sports car. Just get your act together and fix a few production problems and you've got a world beater!!!"

Its to be expected...New car, new car problems. Lotus doesn't have hundreds to engineers to test, evaluate, analysis and fix problems that crop up like major manufacturers. They probably have a very small team of engineers who spent a few months working out the kinks. The current process for feedback and implementing corrective actions into the production process is probably based on dealer / warranty data. So fixing known issues is slow and ineffective. Its just a function of Lotus' bench depth. They'll get it sorted, but its just taking more time than it should.

Last edited: