Emira Issues - from final production cars

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
One observation about orange peel. It is poor on BMWs and Mercs but not an issue to customers in mainland Europe, only in the UK. However, if you want to see what can be achieved look at modern Hyundai cars, from the cheapest to the most expensive. Generally, they have a stunning finish with zero orange peel.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The SOS warning hasn't been reported before. Underground parking is likely to be the main factor but it should reconnect quicker than that once above ground.

@FarmerJ I can confirm @TomE s statement and report the same behaviour. My car is also parked underground and it gave that SOS warning message a few times when left parked for several hours, but the message went away every time after keeping the car overground. But a pity re. the engine light. Will be fixed soon for sure! It seems Lotus is putting a lot of effort into sorting these niggles out from what my dealer told me.

andyss

Reaction score
Just as an added data point re: "perfect German quality". The only 2 cars I've bought new before were a Golf R and a BMW 340i. Both spent over a week with the dealers who did PDI in the early days fixing faults that existed at delivery. The Golf had a lingering fault message that wasn't fixed in 3 years and many attempts... This lines up with the experiences of friends.

The stories of Emira problems so far seem don't seem too bad, and Lotus appear to be jumping on them in a way that far exceeds my experience with major German brands.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve heard back from customer service. unfortunately, they aren’t allowed to send me out a replacement gear knob (original is poorly finished and rough to touch) as it would invalidate my warranty if I fit a replacement myself! They are looking into sending someone out to fit a replacement to avoid the long round trip to the dealership.

It would be good if they sent someone knowledgable to have a look at a couple of other minor issues I’m having so they could liaise with a dealer and get any other parts ordered. It would be ideal if could get everything done in one visit.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve heard back from customer service. unfortunately, they aren’t allowed to send me out a replacement gear knob (original is poorly finished and rough to touch) as it would invalidate my warranty if I fit a replacement myself! They are looking into sending someone out to fit a replacement to avoid the long round trip to the dealership.

It would be good if they sent someone knowledgable to have a look at a couple of other minor issues I’m having so they could liaise with a dealer and get any other parts ordered. It would be ideal if could get everything done in one visit.

Screwing on your own shiftknob voids warranty? 🙄

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve heard back from customer service. unfortunately, they aren’t allowed to send me out a replacement gear knob (original is poorly finished and rough to touch) as it would invalidate my warranty if I fit a replacement myself!
Either you’re talking to someone with 0 knowledge about cars or that’s not the real reason, for example they want to get the gear knob back to examine it, which all manufacturers most of the times request from the dealers to send the faulty part back (from my experience) which is what I’d assume is the real reason. But I’m glad to hear they are helping or at least trying to help haha.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Just had the car detailed and ceramic coated (pics to follow). Detailer noticed the rear diffuser hasn’t been fitted correctly with one of the locating tabs not pushed in

Attachments

• 7FFC9B6C-09F8-479D-A4AC-660A84780FEA.jpeg
    7FFC9B6C-09F8-479D-A4AC-660A84780FEA.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 192

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
in the new Harry video, there is an emphasis on the QC of the paint quality. Odd that some car seems to be reported as having paint issues

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The myriad of small issues that seem to be cropping up strike me as assembly growing pains, and speak to the extent of the training process. Apparently this is new to everyone there.

Now you are wondering when exactly they'll get the hang of it?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The myriad of small issues that seem to be cropping up strike me as assembly growing pains, and speak to the extent of the training process. Apparently this is new to everyone there.
Now you are wondering when exactly they'll get the hang of it?
after 1K-2K cars built most of the small stuff should be addressed... After 1.5-2 years is usually when they are truly in tune. Mind you the powertrain / chassis setup (mostly) / main structure at least will be solid (V6) due to carry over from Evora production. So this is not entirely new factory / new employees / powertrain etc. The small issues I have read about, although an inconvenience, do not seem to be major and are being addressed fairly quickly by Lotus. Which is good to hear. I am starting to have a little more faith in them changing from small mind manufacturing to more quality focused.

Watch this video - David is an Automotive engineer and has worked for Toyota. He mostly covers Toyota/Lexus product. Goes into depth in regards to manufacturing and is a HUGE promotor of Toyota's N/A engines (like the Emira's). You start to realize from a few of his videos how impressive the Toyota corporation is when it comes to reliability. He has some very informative stuff.

I think Emira falls into category 3/4 - and the end of this video has a good breakdown of when to buy new model years etc. So after 6 months / 1 year small stuff should be sorted.

Last edited:

NeilS

Reaction score
I know I'm like a stuck record (for those that remember such a thing) but further to my comments about the seat belt in the demonstrator, I've looked at the photos of the Emira on Collecting Cars. The upper mount bolt has again been installed without great care, the cover is also missing (on both belts this time), there appears minor damage on the b pillar trim (possible removed to fit belt?) and the belt has been fitted incorrectly. I can't believe the buckle would have twisted round from 11 miles of use so that's how it's likely to have been installed.

Factory checks (if done post belt fitment) and a PDI must have failed to identify the issues.
Emira belt.jpg
A large exposed steel bolt in that part of the cabin is hardly a good feature.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I received my 992 with a defective windscreen seal (whole windscreen replacement) and it’s a WELL KNOWN issue with Porsches for years (look it up), it’s just bolt covers, my R8 arrived with a missing front emblem (the “R8”, someone stole it prob.), they are human beings, I don’t know how they missed it but how many times have you looked for something and didn’t see it even thou it was right in front of you ?

That’s the problem with the hand made products and human QC and PDI, there is always room for human error… cut them some slack as long as they resolve it which it seems they are putting in plenty of effort..

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just brought my Emira back to the dealer (again!). Steering started making really nasty noises when turning, especially when standing. It sounded as if something rattled loose and is now flexing under load of the steering rack. Dampers also started squeaking in certain situations in the front (speedbumps), probably related. 🤮 You could hear the steering noise while driving inside, but even louder outside. Like alloy being scrapped or flexed.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had the servo replaced right before delivery, my car was stranded at the dealer for weeks before delivery waiting for the pump. I also had the hope that it simply broke again but the mechanic at my dealer said that the pump is actually in the back 🤷🏻‍♂️. And the noises were still there with the car turned off so clearly not a servo issue.

I more and more migrate into "better wait for your cars!" camp. My Evora had zero issues in 4 years and 22.000km of driving. The Emira now has around 2000km and is now at the dealer for the third time!

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just brought my Emira back to the dealer (again!). Steering started making really nasty noises when turning, especially when standing. It sounded as if something rattled loose and is now flexing under load of the steering rack. Dampers also started squeaking in certain situations in the front (speedbumps), probably related. 🤮 You could hear the steering noise while driving inside, but even louder outside. Like alloy being scrapped or flexed.
I had my Evora roll bar rubbers changed under warranty, similar noise over speed bumps. But right to get checked out.

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The software update isn’t available yet, so I’ve postponed having my car collected and taken to the dealership until I can have all the issues addressed in one visit.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The software update isn’t available yet, so I’ve postponed having my car collected and taken to the dealership until I can have all the issues addressed in one visit.
That’s disappointing. That was due to dealers 2 weeks ago. The problem wasn’t the software release itself, which had been done, it was the lack of a loader for dealers to use to install the update. I find it astonishing no one had thought about the dealer installation process for software updates.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I 100% stand behind my dealer and I know that Lotus has been keeping very close eyes on the issues that appear in the market. I would still love them to succeed on their new journey.

In the beginning I kept quiet over the issues since I felt that there was already a lot of negative energy around about what should be a great hobby and ownership experience. But I decided to stop being protective of them and start being vocal about the issues I experience. Not just for my own sake but also for the long term quality of what is otherwise a great and exciting but useable car (especially at its price tag).

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And since actions speak louder than words:

(Sorry for the vertical upload, I just did a quick recording on my phone a few days ago when the issue appeared and didn't plan on uploading this)

The car arrived at my dealer beginning of October and has been there for around 7-8 weeks since then! The fact that I still managed to put nearly 2000km on it shows that I've been trying to drive it as much as I could in between.
(In case Lotus reads this and wants to have a chat about my ownership experience - I'll be more than happy to have a constructive conversation)