• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Emira front ground clearance

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi there,

I was wondering what the experience has been with UK Emira owners regarding the front splitter/spoiler ground clearance. Have you had issues going over speed bumps, entering angled driveways, etc? I had a 911 turbo and was constantly aware of the front lip spoiler and would occasionally scrape it even despite my best efforts. Just curious how good/bad it has been with the Emira.

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had a mess about last night. its about as unscientific as I could make it with a steel loft ladder key and an off cut of OSB.
Mine is on tour and nearly up to 2000miles
Static clearance at the very front of the splitter is 170mm.
Taking a line roughly past the sacrificial bobbins (which are a hard ally by the way I thought they were plastic then steel but the magnet confirmed - metal but not steel) the angle is about 10 degrees.
Exige is a mare over road humps so do the same taking them at as big an angle as i can get away with.
Obviously descending on brakes with a load on board will make it a bit 'worse'.
Thanks very much for this, it helps take some worry away. I think I measured my incline at about 9 degrees, so hopefully I will be okay, maybe scrape the sacrificial bobbins a bit. I really appreciate your effort on this.

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Official front approach angle is 7.9 degrees, if that helps.

View attachment 30437
Thank you, but unfortunately, this diagram is a bit inaccurate. I don't believe any of the cars built have that rubber molding mounted under the front end. I also believe there may be slight difference between tour and sport either due to small difference in the components, and/or the tire height. I'm also suspecting that the U.S. cars will be slightly higher based on an interaction I had with Lotus a long time ago. Hopefully they will build some cars for this market, and we'll be able to confirm if there are any differences.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I measured the angle with the level on my iphone and it was rough so a bit each way is possible.
If i can find a thinner stiff bit of ply I'll post the results (y)

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are two what I can only describe as hockey pucks under the nose that would act as first point of contact if you were to ground the nose. I was told by someone that Evora was the same although I don’t remember mine having them. Perhaps only the later 400 series had them.
From the pictures @Balboa posted - could these (red circles) be the "hockey pucks" of which you speak? They seem to close to the nose to be jack points.. Harder to see in the full frontal photo, but they are visible..

Attachments

• 20221103_103920.jpg
    20221103_103920.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20221103_103854.jpg
    20221103_103854.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 71

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Reviving an old thread because this is relevant.

Just spoke with KW and asked if they had any plans for a Hydraulic Lift System for the Emira.

This was their response....
I just talked to our HLS Product Manager and I was told that currently there are no plans to develop an HLS-system for the Lotus Emira. Besides that there is our HLS universal kit BUT in order to be able to combine a KW HLS hydraulic cylinder with a KW coilover strut, a remaining thread of at least 65 mm is required in the lowest setting. In this very case it is only 15 mm. Changing the main spring would have far too big technical impact on the driving dynamics.

Furthermore there would be the option to do a special construction of the housing with a longer thread but this unfortunately is not possible neither due to the valve carrier and the adjustment unit at the lower end of the shock absorber.

So unfortunately there is no option to fit an HLS system in the Emira – sorry.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts