Emira, 718 GTS, 911, A110 comparison

Grumpy

Reaction score
I ordered an Emira pre reveal and have waited patiently through all of the messed up communications, spec dates and delays. 5 months ago with the increasing delays I also put a deposit down on a 718 GTS 4.0. With the Emira finally due, I have had 2 chances to drive it and have driven the other 3 cars above all within the space of a couple of weeks. My requirement is a car thats good to look at, feels great to drive and feels special each time you get in it and is a good car to also tour in the British Isles and Europe with my other half who has no interest in cars per se. I have had most makes over the years including two Caterhams and have an Elise which I am able to keep for solo trips.

I reckon the spec for this car is a fairly common requirement and whilst there are many other cars that could be considered the above fit my requirements and have a broad price range without getting silly (by todays standards where a Honda Civic is nearly £50k!). Having driven all of the cars I then sat down and applied ratings across a whole range of aspects I thought important. The Emira scored maximum points in the areas you would expect, Steering, Handling, Looks, ride quality, but scored lower in terms of Noise, Space, build quality etc. All subjective of course. The wife vote went for the 911. I didnt sum the columns until the end. The only problem was that the Alpine had the best rating. It was only let down by having a more basic cabin and rated low on storage. The Lotus had the best steering but the Alpine was second. Alpine ride and balance was very Lotus, different and clearly much less grip than the Emira but no less competent. This was a genuine non biased attempt to rate the cars and far from helpful. Heart says Emira, Wife says 911 , analysis says Alpine. Maybe I should just buy the GTS 😂

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I ordered an Emira pre reveal and have waited patiently through all of the messed up communications, spec dates and delays. 5 months ago with the increasing delays I also put a deposit down on a 718 GTS 4.0. With the Emira finally due, I have had 2 chances to drive it and have driven the other 3 cars above all within the space of a couple of weeks. My requirement is a car thats good to look at, feels great to drive and feels special each time you get in it and is a good car to also tour in the British Isles and Europe with my other half who has no interest in cars per se. I have had most makes over the years including two Caterhams and have an Elise which I am able to keep for solo trips.

I reckon the spec for this car is a fairly common requirement and whilst there are many other cars that could be considered the above fit my requirements and have a broad price range without getting silly (by todays standards where a Honda Civic is nearly £50k!). Having driven all of the cars I then sat down and applied ratings across a whole range of aspects I thought important. The Emira scored maximum points in the areas you would expect, Steering, Handling, Looks, ride quality, but scored lower in terms of Noise, Space, build quality etc. All subjective of course. The wife vote went for the 911. I didnt sum the columns until the end. The only problem was that the Alpine had the best rating. It was only let down by having a more basic cabin and rated low on storage. The Lotus had the best steering but the Alpine was second. Alpine ride and balance was very Lotus, different and clearly much less grip than the Emira but no less competent. This was a genuine non biased attempt to rate the cars and far from helpful. Heart says Emira, Wife says 911 , analysis says Alpine. Maybe I should just buy the GTS 😂
What does your heart say, I've done this kind of thing before but your heart rules. What was the interior noise like compared to the Emira, IE riad noise in the Porsches?

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I would not have to think a single minute…and get a 992 911 if that was on the list. Different league compared to Emira. I am not a Porsche fan, but still have 2 991’s in my garage as best car in the world for daily and overall use.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would not have to think a single minute…and get a 992 911 if that was on the list. Different league compared to Emira. I am not a Porsche fan, but still have 2 991’s in my garage as best car in the world for daily and overall use.
I would also agree... (although the 992 is not the most fun/weekend car of the group) For tour's around Europe require better storage.... 911 wins in this regards and really is the most comfortable out of that lot. The 992 911 is an epic GT car.

Carrera T without back seats.... perfect GT.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

Nice objective analysis. Now remove storage, noise and build quality criteria and score again!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nice objective analysis. Now remove storage, noise and build quality criteria and score again!
LOL....I can live with the removal of storage / noise.... but build quality.... hahaha.... please leave that one!!:ROFLMAO:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

INTERESTING......

I have driven all the cars you mention too, and one more in addition, thanks to a friend last week for the evora ;).
Im not sure what you want from this thread, confirmation, opinions, sarcasm (I can do that all day long, this is why I am single and all alone in the world).
I agree with our dutch friend below, IF the 992 is in there, then thats the car I would go for and I have never had one, but have driven it. No its not perhaps as in tune with the road as the Emira (although the GT3 would tend to argue that point at great length and maybe the T, but Ive not driven that so wouldnt like to say).
You didnt mention looks in terms of the Alpine and thats probably best as although its a matter of opinion, where I always find my own opinion spot on, its not a looker.... Its awkward to say the least. It also sounds like a hair dryer on full blast, plus auto only, but maybe you are an auto kind of guy.
The alpine is not special any more. True there are not that many of them out there and they still get a few looks, but they are not going to be anywhere near as envious as the looks that you would get in an Emira.
The quality inside, where your wife will appreciate it (had to be careful phrasing that), is 992 all day long! You have your Elise for your solo trips, so again, for me your best bet out of the list is the 992. I also believe, long term, it will hold its value best as I dont think in 1 - 2 years the emira will fair well.
Finally, if I may, and even if I may not, where is the asston vantage? Your wife would surely like to be driven around in that, car person or not..who wouldnt. Same price.... I would give that some SERIOUS consideration...prices are falling like a .... no, I wont say that either...

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
INTERESTING......

I have driven all the cars you mention too, and one more in addition, thanks to a friend last week for the evora ;).
Im not sure what you want from this thread, confirmation, opinions, sarcasm (I can do that all day long, this is why I am single and all alone in the world).
I agree with our dutch friend below, IF the 992 is in there, then thats the car I would go for and I have never had one, but have driven it. No its not perhaps as in tune with the road as the Emira (although the GT3 would tend to argue that point at great length and maybe the T, but Ive not driven that so wouldnt like to say).
You didnt mention looks in terms of the Alpine and thats probably best as although its a matter of opinion, where I always find my own opinion spot on, its not a looker.... Its awkward to say the least. It also sounds like a hair dryer on full blast, plus auto only, but maybe you are an auto kind of guy.
The alpine is not special any more. True there are not that many of them out there and they still get a few looks, but they are not going to be anywhere near as envious as the looks that you would get in an Emira.
The quality inside, where your wife will appreciate it (had to be careful phrasing that), is 992 all day long! You have your Elise for your solo trips, so again, for me your best bet out of the list is the 992. I also believe, long term, it will hold its value best as I dont think in 1 - 2 years the emira will fair well.
Finally, if I may, and even if I may not, where is the asston vantage? Your wife would surely like to be driven around in that, car person or not..who wouldnt. Same price.... I would give that some SERIOUS consideration...prices are falling like a .... no, I wont say that either...
911 992 vs vantage... that is a tough decision. I would take a newer vantage. Solely on looks, cool factor, rarity. Really the 911's biggest competition outside of the GT3 would be a AM Vantage. Especially if you don't care so much about a manual.

But then again if your comparing an i4 Emira vs Vantage vs PDK 992 911.... The Emira is going to be A LOT less $$.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
interior noise was one of the Emiras worse points. It’s ok cruising at 70mph but once revs build it’s not a quiet car. It’s also quite dominated by supercharger whine and doesn’t get much of the v6 sound that was great in the Evora. The 911 was a bit of a surprise. My last 997 had very loud road noise but the 992 is different league.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
INTERESTING......

We drove the Cab which was another mistake as wife liked the roof. I am a manual guy generally and whilst the PDk (that you have to have in pretty much every 911 now aside from GT cars) is OK, Id prefer manual. That said, sports Plus, sports exhaust, Pasm and it sharpens up a lot. I can never quite be convinced by the Astons, look good , but warranty extensions are colossally expensive and both friends who have had them have needed them fairly regularly! I now also have a deposit down on a 911 T but waiting to drive one as its a nice base spec. I just need to persuade the wife we dont need a Cabriolet. For the T to be perfect it will have removed soundproofing of the engine and kept it over the rear wheels.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
I would also agree... (although the 992 is not the most fun/weekend car of the group) For tour's around Europe require better storage.... 911 wins in this regards and really is the most comfortable out of that lot. The 992 911 is an epic GT car.

Carrera T without back seats.... perfect GT.
Yep, now have a deposit down on a T although told to option the seats back in no costs for resale But hopefully a keep as a last manual 911 so may not bother.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Heart says Emira, Wife says 911 , analysis says Alpine. Maybe I should just buy the GTS 😂

Not following your heart is a recipe for regret. Trust your intuition.

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yep, now have a deposit down on a T although told to option the seats back in no costs for resale But hopefully a keep as a last manual 911 so may not bother.
I did a spec a month or so ago then again after my test drive and a few too many T reviews on YouTube. Hit the send to dealer button but likely 2024 delivery.

Thinking that this might be my last car. Period.

Manual, no rear seats, Gulf blue.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I ordered my Emira at reveal, but as I want a V6 auto, I have got a longer wait (currently Spring next year). I got fed up with the delays/poor comms and decided to have a look around and bought an A110. My Emira deposit is still in and I am keeping my options open. The more I drive the A110, the happier I am with it.

The storage space is limited, but not impossible to live with. My immediate thought on my Emira test drive recently was the Emira cabin seemed very sparse (not necessarily a bad thing) compared to the A110. The A110 is certainly quieter in the cabin than the Emira, this is quite noticeable. On the Emira test drive it sounded like there was a non-existent back window open somehow, that is the ony way I can really describe the different noise level.

The Emira certainly wins on looks from the outside, with the Emira certainly getting noticed everywhere, whereas the A110 will probably 'pass under the radar' more often than not.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
911 992 vs vantage... that is a tough decision. I would take a newer vantage. Solely on looks, cool factor, rarity. Really the 911's biggest competition outside of the GT3 would be a AM Vantage. Especially if you don't care so much about a manual.

But then again if your comparing an i4 Emira vs Vantage vs PDK 992 911.... The Emira is going to be A LOT less $$
I ordered my Emira at reveal, but as I want a V6 auto, I have got a longer wait (currently Spring next year). I got fed up with the delays/poor comms and decided to have a look around and bought an A110. My Emira deposit is still in and I am keeping my options open. The more I drive the A110, the happier I am with it.

The storage space is limited, but not impossible to live with. My immediate thought on my Emira test drive recently was the Emira cabin seemed very sparse (not necessarily a bad thing) compared to the A110. The A110 is certainly quieter in the cabin than the Emira, this is quite noticeable. On the Emira test drive it sounded like there was a non-existent back window open somehow, that is the ony way I can really describe the different noise level.

The Emira certainly wins on looks from the outside, with the Emira certainly getting noticed everywhere, whereas the A110 will probably 'pass under the radar' more often than not.
Nothing wrong with passing under the radar! I personally like the looks of the A110. I was also surprised at the noise in the Emira and also the type of noise. I think it’s a bit compromised as a GT car. It’s possibly hampered by the competence of the chassis which is so nailed down it perhaps makes the performance feel underwhelming so you have to work the engine more. Even full bore acceleration in pouring rain can’t unsettle it. It depends what you want as the Alpine feels faster is quieter and moves around more. It’s more fun at legal speeds. The Emira is the showstopper in the looks department.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I can’t comment on the 718 gts itself as I haven’t driven it (but do own a boxster which I’m replacing) and the only reason I didn’t re consider the GTS or GT4 etc is the interior, it’s just too outdated imo.
The 992 is amazing BUT it’s not the same as it used to be, for some people it’s spot on, the 992 is just plush and more luxurious than one would expect/want from a sports car, I loved it no doubt and I also had to make a choice between it and the emira and I ended up with the emira, the drive is just more engaging, I loved the emiras interior, simplistic and quite a good quality and as we all agree the emira wins again and again when it comes to looks. The 992 is pretty much a daily, I wasn’t looking for it and for those who do it’s amazing, I like my dailies less “daily” and more engaging so take it to account (and I do intend to daily). Maybe the 911T changes that (I watched Doug Demuros video, and I totally agree with him hence why I do believe when he says the T “fixed” it, but as everyone else I haven’t driven it, and if it’s also in the budget as it’s more expensive I would definitely check it out).
Never seen or driven the alpine so I won’t comment.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the 718 gts itself as I haven’t driven it (but do own a boxster which I’m replacing) and the only reason I didn’t re consider the GTS or GT4 etc is the interior, it’s just too outdated imo.
The 992 is amazing BUT it’s not the same as it used to be, for some people it’s spot on, the 992 is just plush and more luxurious than one would expect/want from a sports car, I loved it no doubt and I also had to make a choice between it and the emira and I ended up with the emira, the drive is just more engaging, I loved the emiras interior, simplistic and quite a good quality and as we all agree the emira wins again and again when it comes to looks. The 992 is pretty much a daily, I wasn’t looking for it and for those who do it’s amazing, I like my dailies less “daily” and more engaging so take it to account (and I do intend to daily). Maybe the 911T changes that (I watched Doug Demuros video, and I totally agree with him hence why I do believe when he says the T “fixed” it, but as everyone else I haven’t driven it, and if it’s also in the budget as it’s more expensive I would definitely check it out).
Never seen or driven the alpine so I won’t comment.
All good points. I thought the interior of the Boxster was a nice place to be but agreed that the 992 interior is very clearly more modern. My target is to get it wife friendly and for touring and the 992 is very good at that. I so want to love the Emira just wasn’t that wowed. Long term Lotus guy but for whatever reason can’t bring myself to commit and it’s due soon 😮

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Given your requirements I would get the 718 or 911. We (primarily wife's car) have a 991 and I dont expect the Emira to be the touring car or as refined as our 991. The Porsches wont feel as 'special' though in terms of looks.

Dont forget your wife's first choice is the 911. :p

Really dont think you'll lose any money if you get the Emira and then decide on getting one of the others with the current waitlist (if selling)

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
All good points. I thought the interior of the Boxster was a nice place to be but agreed that the 992 interior is very clearly more modern. My target is to get it wife friendly and for touring and the 992 is very good at that. I so want to love the Emira just wasn’t that wowed. Long term Lotus guy but for whatever reason can’t bring myself to commit and it’s due soon 😮
Forgot about the wife part haha, my mother daily-ed the 992 for almost a year and she loved it in every way possible (apart from the height haha but she’s getting old) and said it’s a fantastic car for day to day use, if she doesn’t mind and you’ll drive the car often and the dynamics is less important to her than you than I’d say emira, if it’s the other way around 992 all day long! (we replaced the 992 with an R8 for the higher ride height which didn’t help much, didn’t replace it for any other reason it’s amazing! so keeping the R8 and got a cayman gts for her)