McLaren admits: 'Actually all our cars are just bad'

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
McLaren admits: 'Actually all our cars are just bad'....................

1670532648838.png

McLaren's new CEO does not mince words. Michael Leiters simply admits that his brand has delivered cars in recent years that were bad. “Not mature”, he calls it, with a great sense of understatement.
McLaren is not doing well. The British sports car manufacturer has not only suffered from the corona crisis, but is now also experiencing the consequences of the global chip shortage and its own laxity. General manager Michael Leiters is very open about it in an interview with the British magazine Evo.

The McLaren Artura is not good enough
The new McLaren Artura, which is supposed to save the company, was supposed to hit the market a year ago, but has been delayed to work on a variety of issues, especially with the software. The Artura is not good enough, says Leiters. “There should be no compromises. If you do try to close it, you lose out on quality. Our entire company needs to understand how important quality is.”
Because in that area McLaren does not have the best reputation. Leiters has been in his post since July 1 and previously worked at Ferrari and Porsche. The first decision he made as McLaren's new chief executive was to postpone the Artura. “I heard from my team that in the past we have accepted products that were not mature. And we simply delivered them to customers.”
Leiters: “The Artura is the first model where we have not done that. We saw that the car is not mature, so we stopped its delivery. We were already experiencing delays on the assembly line and reduced production to zero to address the Artura's quality issues.”

The focus should be on quality
According to Leiters, McLaren has risked its financial position by giving substandard cars to customers. “We want to give our dealers and customers an important message: that we understand that our focus in the future must be on quality. We no longer say: 'this car is fast and exciting, so forgive us for the quality issues'. That is not possible!"

Kingslim

Reaction score
McLaren admits: 'Actually all our cars are just bad'....................

View attachment 20137

McLaren's new CEO does not mince words. Michael Leiters simply admits that his brand has delivered cars in recent years that were bad. “Not mature”, he calls it, with a great sense of understatement.
McLaren is not doing well. The British sports car manufacturer has not only suffered from the corona crisis, but is now also experiencing the consequences of the global chip shortage and its own laxity. General manager Michael Leiters is very open about it in an interview with the British magazine Evo.

The McLaren Artura is not good enough
The new McLaren Artura, which is supposed to save the company, was supposed to hit the market a year ago, but has been delayed to work on a variety of issues, especially with the software. The Artura is not good enough, says Leiters. “There should be no compromises. If you do try to close it, you lose out on quality. Our entire company needs to understand how important quality is.”
Because in that area McLaren does not have the best reputation. Leiters has been in his post since July 1 and previously worked at Ferrari and Porsche. The first decision he made as McLaren's new chief executive was to postpone the Artura. “I heard from my team that in the past we have accepted products that were not mature. And we simply delivered them to customers.”
Leiters: “The Artura is the first model where we have not done that. We saw that the car is not mature, so we stopped its delivery. We were already experiencing delays on the assembly line and reduced production to zero to address the Artura's quality issues.”

The focus should be on quality
According to Leiters, McLaren has risked its financial position by giving substandard cars to customers. “We want to give our dealers and customers an important message: that we understand that our focus in the future must be on quality. We no longer say: 'this car is fast and exciting, so forgive us for the quality issues'. That is not possible!"

The Artura might not be perfect, but its light years ahead of the Emira.

Bigred911s1

Reaction score
I would never buy a McLaren. It’s not just their quality and reliability, their depreciation rate is insane.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Artura might not be perfect, but its light years ahead of the Emira.
Why? Because it’s faaaaaaster? Unpopular opinion: I also think that Bugatti built a nicer car with the Chiron. It’s faster than an Emira, yet more luxurious. How did they do that while Lotus can’t?

Really sad to see McLaren in that position. I hope that they will overcome their problems and continue to build those great pieces of engineering.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When I see Mclarens come up I presume it’s used 540’s / 570’s - they’re not that far apart price wise but you are making a very distinct set of trade-offs for that “bargain” performance.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Just great chassis/drivetrain engineering can't carry the day anymore for modern car companies. They also need to have a strong technology suite (electric/electronic features, safety, etc) and a well-put-together interior. This is precisely the reason why I became interested in the Emira. I would not have purchased an Evora, no offense intended to any of the happy Evora owners.

OP
Rudolph

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is precisely the reason why I became interested in the Emira. I would not have purchased an Evora, no offense intended to any of the happy Evora owners.
Comparing my 2021 Evora GT 410 Sport with the new Emira's I have seen in- as well as outside I noticed hardly any difference in build quality etc.
I venture to claim that the many teething problems of the emira's build so far and in the near future make the perfectly mature engineered Evora the absolutely better choice for me.
The higher power output, the incredible V6 exhaust sound, the analog design and the exclusivity of the Evora for me is a extra bonus versus the considerable numbers of Emira's that will flood the market......

Kingslim

Reaction score
Why? Because it’s faaaaaaster? Unpopular opinion: I also think that Bugatti built a nicer car with the Chiron. It’s faster than an Emira, yet more luxurious. How did they do that while Lotus can’t?

Really sad to see McLaren in that position. I hope that they will overcome their problems and continue to build those great pieces of engineering.
It was a somewhat tongue in cheek comment - I'm still trying to get over how Lotus managed to launch a new model with a boot lid that dumps last nights rainfall into the engine bay.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
McLaren posted a $247 million dollar loss in 9 months. McLaren majority owner is owned by Bahrain sovereign fund. Does not sound very stable to me.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score

Comparing my 2021 Evora GT 410 Sport with the new Emira's I have seen in- as well as outside I noticed hardly any difference in build quality etc.
I venture to claim that the many teething problems of the emira's build so far and in the near future make the perfectly mature engineered Evora the absolutely better choice for me.
The higher power output, the incredible V6 exhaust sound, the analog design and the exclusivity of the Evora for me is a extra bonus versus the considerable numbers of Emira's that will flood the market......

To me, build quality consists of three things: design, materials, and consistency (aka craftsmanship). Aside from materials, which may be similar between the Evora and Emira, the Emira has serious advantages in terms of design and consistency.

The Emira's design, both the outside and the interior, is far more mature and sophisticated than the Evora - IMO. This is especially true of the interior. They have taken a slightly more minimalist approach, which works well with other details of the implementation, and the design is coherent whether you are looking at one part of the dash, the whole dash, a part of the door, or the center console. The seats also have a geometric pattern that is in harmony with the interior. The Emira does not resort to any of the stale design cliches such as overly thick/bold contrast stitching, compound curves for the sake of compound curves, leather/fabric wrapped everything, overuse of Alcantara, or seemingly random texture changes between adjacent panels of leather/fabric/Alcantara. Now, the Emira's interior is not as sophisticated as, say a Mercedes interior, where the entire cabin is one flowing design, but it's far better than anything Lotus has done in the past.

At least based on what I can see from the pictures, the construction of Emira's interior is also a lot more consistent. This is one reason why small-batch interior builders love Alcantara - it hides imperfections better than smooth or semi-smooth surfaces. Look at the stitching and surface contours between the interiors of the Evora and Emira. The Emira is obviously more mass-produced, and more consistent in its craftsmanship and quality.

In any case, I acknowledge that the Evora is the better car for some people. However, I would argue that most consumers are probably more like me - they want something more for the mass market. They no longer want to put up with compromises that are typical of a small-batch production car because they have plenty of other choices on the market. This is why McLaren is finding it difficult to be successful, and so did Lotus.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Admittedly I don't have a huge cross section here but when I went for my emira test drive there was a late model evora in the showroom and the build was nowhere near the emira. I love the look of the evora but as a porsch guy I don't think I could buy one, the Emira I could. And that's the bullseye from lotus perspective.

It's interesting listening to people on here picking the emira quality to shreads in one breath and then self pleasuring over the evora 😄🤷🏻

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
All I know is my 400 test driver boot wouldn’t open and the drivers window wouldn’t close all the way.