• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carbon Fiber Diffuser Surround by Aerie Performance

OP
Aerie

Aerie

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Silly me but I prefer leaving it Gloss Black or Black. I'm not into this latest carbon fiber Fad. Only a cosmetic value really. Like people have nothing better to do with their money. Let's put $10k in carbon fiber replacement's on a new car. I'd rather spend it on performance if anything.

Our carbon fiber parts offer more than just cosmetic enhancements; they provide lightweight solutions and improved aerodynamic performance.

Supercars require both reduced weight and an appealing appearance. We are aware that Lotus will soon introduce a new carbon pack for the Emira, which will include replacing the plastic material with a carbon fiber diffuser surround. Therefore, we have incorporated this feature into our offerings, enabling our customers to enjoy a more affordable future upgrade."

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The parts is made from full carbon fiber with autoclave composite
Hi Aerie,

The word "composite" simply means that it's made of more than one material, combined or sandwiched together in some way. "Composite" is not the name of a material. I'm asking what the other material (or materials) are in the composite.

Thank you.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Our carbon fiber parts offer more than just cosmetic enhancements; they provide lightweight solutions and improved aerodynamic performance.

Supercars require both reduced weight and an appealing appearance. We are aware that Lotus will soon introduce a new carbon pack for the Emira, which will include replacing the plastic material with a carbon fiber diffuser surround. Therefore, we have incorporated this feature into our offerings, enabling our customers to enjoy a more affordable future upgrade."
Sure i agree. But how much weight are you saving if you replace every conceivable part? 25lbs 50lbs.? I'm sure you guys put out an amazing quality product. Just not for my daily driver needs... i wouldn't benefit much on public roads. maybe if I tracked it. No disrespect meant.

OP
Aerie

Aerie

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Will the OEM exhaust fit in it? If it is a simple replacement for the OEM tips, I'm interested. Perhaps this needs a separate thread for discussion.
View attachment 34399
We will open a thread for the titanium exhaust today , will tap you in the post ❤️

OP
Aerie

Aerie

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is full Carbon fiber 😅
Gotcha... so it's a carbon fiber skin over a composite core, and that core is autoclaved? What's the core made of?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure out how such a complex piece is possible for this price. It looks fantastic, I just want to make sure the inherent durability and impact toughness over time will be appropriate for a piece that essentially functions as the bumper of the car.
The diffuser surround is made with full carbon fiber materials, no any materials maxed

GregD

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looking to save some weight?

Just do what I did a few months back - get on a diet! I lost 3kg!!! The car is much faster now :)

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi Aerie,

The word "composite" simply means that it's made of more than one material, combined or sandwiched together in some way. "Composite" is not the name of a material. I'm asking what the other material (or materials) are in the composite.

Thank you.

Carbon fibre is a composite material formed from combining the woven carbon fibre fabric with a polymer resin (which most likely would be an epoxy). In this case Aerie have said they're using pre-preg carbon fibre where the resin is impregnated into the fibre fabric prior to layup. They will then autoclave the piece to cure the resin and form the composite.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Carbon fibre is a composite material formed from combining the woven carbon fibre fabric with a polymer resin (which most likely would be an epoxy). In this case Aerie have said they're using pre-preg carbon fibre where the resin is impregnated into the fibre fabric prior to layup. They will then autoclave the piece to cure the resin and form the composite.
I'm fully aware. I've worked with carbon fiber before myself, both in dry/prepreg and wet layup forms, both alone and in combination with other materials like kevlar, hexcel, etc.

That's why I asked. The way that Aerie described the product made it sound like they were using prepreg carbon fiber in conjunction with some other material to create an autoclaved composite finished product.

Since this is a significant body component on the rear of the car, I was interested in more clarity to make sure we weren't experiencing a language barrier about materials. In fact it turns out that we were, and what they meant to say was that the item is 100% prepreg carbon fiber, and they autoclave the part to reach final dimensions and cured hardness.

If anyone wants to call asking a clarification question about that being a "hater", they need to do some serious self-examination. If that isn't sufficient, they're welcome to reach out to me directly and we can have an offline conversation.