Call from Lotus to receive an Emira FE 1 year earlier !

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
@adsnems , I doubt that has made things clearer for you!

Also, none of us can second guess Lotus.

Back to your car. It is not that expensive to have your wheels coated/painted another colour which also helps protect them a bit.
I have not heard anybody mention that it is a removable tint on the side and hatch glass.

The only thing I would have never taken an earlier slot for is the overall colour. Everything else is, yes, ,my ideal spec but not the end of the world.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@adsnems , I doubt that has made things clearer for you!

Also, none of us can second guess Lotus.

Back to your car. It is not that expensive to have your wheels coated/painted another colour which also helps protect them a bit.
I have not heard anybody mention that it is a removable tint on the side and hatch glass.

The only thing I would have never taken an earlier slot for is the overall colour. Everything else is, yes, ,my ideal spec but not the end of the world.
I always though factory tinted glass is not a film but actually in the glass itself....i.e. not removable... Could be wrong but all my other cars with factory privacy glass are like that

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I always though factory tinted glass is not a film but actually in the glass itself....i.e. not removable... Could be wrong but all my other cars with factory privacy glass are like that
I asked Lotus just before I switched from privacy to non-privacy and they confirmed that the tint is in the glass and not film.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I was told by Lotus that it's 100% tinted glass (not a film)

OP
adsnems

adsnems

Reaction score
Thanks all for your opinions. They are calling me in the morning to get my final decision. Im still undecided which way to go so will sleep on it and decide in the morning

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I recently received an email from Lotus that my expected delivery was going to be pushed back to Q1 2024.

I just had a call from them stating that they had a cancellation for a spec almost identical to mine which I could receive next month.

Having discussed the spec it is pretty much identical to mine, Seneca blue, touring suspension, black pack, alcantara interior.

The only difference being that it has privacy glass and silver wheels. I don’t mind the change in rims but I am not sure about the privacy glass as I read on the forum that you won’t be able to see the engine if it is has the privacy glass which I kind of wanted but not sure if I want it that much to wait another year ?

I’m not in a major rush for the car as I have other sports cars to drive but a year is a long time to wait. I’m also not sure if I would benefit waiting a year for any early production faults to be resolved.

Thoughts please !
Grab It. Privacy glass or not privacy glass is no big deal, and certainly not a dealbreaker. If you feel strongly about it, maybe that little piece of window (at the rear of seats) can be swapped for non-privacy glass at some point when parts become more plentiful.

vroomvroom

Reaction score
I was on the fence about the privacy glass/engine visibility issue myself. Then I got my test drive and saw the engine is easily viewable behind the privacy glass. This photo might help show you the level of darkness the privacy glass creates v. clear glass. Look at the view of the parking lot pavement in the background through the lifted hatch glass v. to the side of the hatch with no glass at all. I installed 35% window tint on a current vehicle of mine right now, and by comparison I would call the Lotus privacy glass a little darker at maybe 50% window tint.
tempImageqLcS6o.png

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was on the fence about the privacy glass/engine visibility issue myself. Then I got my test drive and saw the engine is easily viewable behind the privacy glass. This photo might help show you the level of darkness the privacy glass creates v. clear glass. Look at the view of the parking lot pavement in the background through the lifted hatch glass v. to the side of the hatch with no glass at all. I installed 35% window tint on a current vehicle of mine right now, and by comparison I would call the Lotus privacy glass a little darker at maybe 50% window tint.View attachment 20462
Vroom, thanks for the pic. For the first time for me the perceived difference has been quantified. I am also from the DMV area.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's very hard to show the differences in pictures, as the degree of tint shows differently depending on angle. Looking directly down onto the engine from behind the car, you can see the engine and are aware of the tinting. From the side at a few feet away it can look almost fully tinted. Some cameras are also fooled by polarisation effects. Officially I believe it's a 28% tint.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks all for your opinions. They are calling me in the morning to get my final decision. Im still undecided which way to go so will sleep on it and decide in the morning
Did sleeping on it make it any easier which way to go - take the plunge or going to wait for your order ……

OP
adsnems

adsnems

Reaction score
As an update. Having slept on it , since this is the very first brand new car I’ve ever ordered, I want to keep to my exact spec as I’ve never had that opportunity before.

Got the call from the same lady at LCC and having explained my reason for turning down the opportunity due to wanting the exact spec, I was expecting her to say she will offer it to someone else but instead to my surprise she said leave it with her and she will try to see if they can change it to the normal glass and wheels I wanted.

Will be interesting to see if I get a call or not if they can actually do it ! Will keep you posted

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
As an update. Having slept on it , since this is the very first brand new car I’ve ever ordered, I want to keep to my exact spec as I’ve never had that opportunity before.

Got the call from the same lady at LCC and having explained my reason for turning down the opportunity due to wanting the exact spec, I was expecting her to say she will offer it to someone else but instead to my surprise she said leave it with her and she will try to see if they can change it to the normal glass and wheels I wanted.

Will be interesting to see if I get a call or not if they can actually do it ! Will keep you posted

Wow, that's nice to hear. Hope it works out!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very surprised to hear that, after they have been so strict with anyone else who wants to make similar changes. Fingers crossed they can sort it for you, but it will annoy others who have been locked in for months and told any change means a 6+ month delay.

I assume that means they don't have many other people further down the list they could approach for this cancelled car.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

I'm sure someone will say changing glass will result in a major problem, wind noise etc.

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I suppose there are a lot of config combinations at play…

6 external colours * 6 interiors * 3 wheels * a few other options…

Easily 1000 different configs, with perhaps an order book of double that? so likely not many people with identical specs

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very surprised to hear that, after they have been so strict with anyone else who wants to make similar changes. Fingers crossed they can sort it for you, but it will annoy others who have been locked in for months and told any change means a 6+ month delay.

I assume that means they don't have many other people further down the list they could approach for this cancelled car.
In this case Tom, by changing his spec, he will probably receive his car 12 months earlier! Not a delay!

OP
adsnems

adsnems

Reaction score

I was surprised too, perhaps it was the lady being overly optimistic that they could make a change , she could well get quickly rebuffed by the production line. From the sounds of how she put it the privacy glass is already installed on the vehicle so I would be surprised if they are prepared to take it off and replace it .

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was surprised too, perhaps it was the lady being overly optimistic that they could make a change , she could well get quickly rebuffed by the production line. From the sounds of how she put it the privacy glass is already installed on the vehicle so I would be surprised if they are prepared to take it off and replace it .
If they can throw an auto box in it I'll take it.. lol