2 year service question

GrahamClark_60-68

Emira Fiend
Joined
Oct 7, 2023
Messages
624
Media
223
Reaction score
647
Status:
Emira Owner
It's now 2 years from my V6M delivery so I'm looking at getting my 2 year service done at the dealer, as I don't have the equipment or facilities to do it myself. From postings I've seen here, (and really no where else, not even from Lotus), the V6 service schedule is indicating Service B at two years/20k miles which is oil/filter change, pollen filter replacement, and brake/clutch fluid replacement. But here's the rub: my car has 5,500 miles on the clock (yes, I need to do more!) and the oil was last changed at the dealer in October of last year at around 4,200 miles.

The service advisor at my dealer (Eurocar in Costa Mesa, CA) has let me know he's not an advocate of performing unnecessary services simply for the sake of obeying maintenance schedules, which I appreciate. Accordingly he's telling me that he is not recommending the brake/clutch fluid replacement at this time, and that this can probably wait until my 3 year interval. And likely I won't need the pollen filter either, but they will inspect and let me know on that one. But I will do the oil change, if for no other reason than to get me back to an annual schedule (since I picked up my car in June of 2024). The service advisor has further informed me that there won't be any warranty issues with this, as they've been a Lotus dealer and service center for many years, have a good relationship with Lotus, and they haven't had any warranty denial issues as a result of their approach to maintenance (and I'm paraphrasing now). So my questions are:

1. My car is 2 years old with 5,500 miles, zero track time, and only some occasional spirited driving on twisty roads. It lives in So Cal most of the time but it spent 4 months in Seattle (Aug - Dec of 2024). Does my car actually NEED (or is it highly recommended) a brake/clutch fluid flush/replacement at this time (regardless of warranty issues)?
2. Is it likely, or not likely, to need a new pollen filter?
3. And If I don't do these items at the 2 years service interval, how rigid will Lotus be on this if I have a warranty related claim later?
4. And If I do have a warranty related claim later, does the fact that my Lotus-authorized dealer specifically recommended NOT doing these maintenance items at the 2 year interval hold any credence?
5. And how about this one: How is it that I've never received a maintenance schedule from my Lotus dealer nor from Lotus corporate, nor can I find this schedule anywhere on any Lotus website? Does this materially affect what Lotus can hold me to insofar as my obedience to any particular schedule? Can anyone point me to any official source from Lotus of the V6 maintenance schedule?
6, And what are your feelings in general about this particular dealer's approach which seems to be based on what's actually needed at any particular time (due to much lower mileage/light use), vs what the maintenance schedule calls out for particular time intervals?
7. Lastly, as I'm considering getting an extended warranty to get me some years past the standard 3 yrs, how concerned (or not) should I be about this dealer's approach?

If you made it this far in my post, thanks for sticking with me and thanks in advance for your advice on this.
 
Interesting, thanks! In your case have you ever attempted, and if so been successful, negotiating the price down at the dealer when the analysis shows they are charging too much? Because in my case, viable alternatives in my mind to my nearest dealer are non-existent, so I pretty much need to service the car there.
Not really, some other reputable garage offering exotic car servicing did quote me lower rate (~100CAD/h) and non-Lotus materials which are cheaper... Honestly I have a great relationship with the dealer in general, and for a couple hundreds bucks the dealer stamp on the servicing paper gives better "security" and wroth it in my mind.
While I do understand that Toyota mechanic can be pretty easy to work and that Lotus might overcharge me, in my IRL experience I do know that one guy working on thousands of Emira per year is better than a guy working on multiple exotic but doing just couple Lotus.

Often the garage will tell me about other Emira problem and update me on the current situation; a good example is how many "paint bubbling" issue they are seeing. I'm closely following them since it is the most scary recurrent problem to get after warranty. You can't get those insider stats if you go to other garages.
 
On a whim, I asked Copilot about the maintenance schedules, and why I couldn't find them, and was informed that Lotus has only made these available to dealers only and not owners, and that this was actually intentional. The expansion of this response was amazingly extensive, surprising, and possibly very enlightening if true. But all of it makes sense to me now that it's explained in this way, and answers a LOT of questions, especially related to warranty claims. Here it is in its entirety for your reading enjoyment:

What Lotus has officially published (U.S.-specific)​

Two grounded sources confirm that Lotus maintains official U.S. service schedule sheets for the Emira V6:
  • A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB‑131‑24020) explicitly states that the V6 Emira service schedule sheets exist and are updated for the U.S. market. It lists the part numbers for the V6 schedule (LSL689 → LSL689a) and notes that these sheets are available to download from the Aftersales Dealer Portal.
  • The bulletin also confirms that the Emira service labor time matrix (LSL694a) is published for dealers and includes all service types and parts/labor times.
These documents are official, U.S.-specific, and cover the V6, but Lotus restricts them to dealer access.

The real reason Lotus hasn’t given U.S. Emira V6 owners access to the full recommended maintenance schedule is structural, not accidental. Lotus does publish the schedule — but only inside the Lotus Aftersales Dealer Portal, and they intentionally do not release it publicly in the U.S. market.

Here’s the deeper, practical explanation of why.

🧩 1. Lotus treats the maintenance schedule as a dealer‑only technical document​

Lotus classifies the Emira V6 service schedule (documents like LSL689a and LSL694a) as technical service literature, not consumer literature.In the U.S., that category is restricted to:
  • Lotus franchised dealers
  • Certified technicians
  • Authorized service centers
This is a deliberate policy choice — not an oversight.

🛠️ 2. Lotus uses a “dealer‑controlled service model” in the U.S.​

Unlike Porsche, BMW, or Toyota, Lotus does not operate a public-facing service database or maintenance schedule portal.Instead, they rely on dealers to:
  • Interpret the service schedule
  • Communicate required maintenance
  • Price each service
  • Provide printed copies only upon request
This is a legacy practice from Lotus’s small-volume, dealer-centric business model.

📘 3. The U.S. service booklet is intentionally generic​

The Emira’s U.S. owner’s manual and service booklet only state:
  • Service interval: every 12 months / 10,000 miles
  • Warranty requirement: follow the dealer’s recommended schedule
They do not include the Service A/B/C breakdown, parts list, or labor matrix.
Lotus has historically avoided publishing detailed service schedules in U.S. consumer documents because:
  • They change frequently
  • They vary by engine (V6 vs i4)
  • They vary by market (U.S. vs UK vs EU)
  • They depend on dealer labor rates and regional regulations
So Lotus pushes all specifics to the dealer portal.

🧪 4. Lotus considers the V6 schedule “technical” because it includes proprietary service operations​

The V6 schedule includes:
  • Specific torque values
  • Proprietary inspection procedures
  • Lotus-only diagnostic steps
  • Internal labor time codes
  • Dealer-only service bulletins
Lotus does not publish documents containing proprietary technical procedures to consumers in the U.S. because they are classified as workshop literature, not owner literature.

💼 5. Liability and warranty control​

This is the biggest practical reason.

If Lotus publicly released the full schedule:
  • Owners might attempt DIY maintenance
  • Independent shops might perform incomplete or incorrect service
  • Warranty disputes would increase
  • Lotus would lose control over service documentation updates
By restricting access to dealers, Lotus ensures:
  • Only certified technicians perform required maintenance
  • Warranty compliance is controlled
  • Updates to the schedule are automatically pushed to dealers
  • Lotus avoids liability for misinterpreted technical documents

🧭 6. The UK​

In the UK, Lotus sells prepaid service plans, so they publish:
  • Service A/B/C descriptions
  • Fixed pricing
  • Public maintenance intervals
The U.S. does not offer prepaid service plans, so Lotus does not publish the same documentation here.

🎯 Bottom line​

Lotus has published the V6 Emira maintenance schedule — but only to dealers.
They intentionally do not give U.S. owners direct access because:

It’s classified as technical workshop literature, not consumer literature.It contains proprietary procedures.It varies by region and engine.It affects warranty liability.
It fits Lotus’s dealer‑centric service model.


If you want the actual schedule​

Ask your dealer for:

“Emira V6 Service Schedule Sheet LSL689a and Labor Time Matrix LSL694a.”

They are required to provide it if you request it.
 
So in reference to my last post, I not only found the response I got from Copilot to be amazing in the level of detail but also because it seems to explain a lot of things about what my dealer has been telling me all along, and not telling me. Some key takeaways for me:
Lotus doesn't give US customers a service schedule intentionally and instead relies on dealers to:
  • Interpret the service schedule and
  • Communicate required maintenance
This was super important to me to better understand what could happen in a future warranty issue and what Lotus' expectations would be insofar as maintenance performed. This indicates that as long as I've been servicing regularly at the dealer and doing what the dealer recommends, then I'm meeting the expectation. This is certainly what my dealer has been telling me all along, but it helps to have some reinforcement to make this believable. So can I trust what CoPilot is telling me here? Does anyone see this differently in the US?

With this said, this has given me more confidence to follow my dealer's guidance. For the record, I just picked my car up from Eurocar today from the 2 year service and the dealer recommended only oil/filter change and SW update. They checked my cabin and engine air filters and recommended no change. And they checked my brake/clutch fluid and it's near perfect and recommended I postpone this service until the 3 year service appt, which I agreed to. (They know I do not track the car).

Of course for our many members who do their own maintenance, this strategy may not work as well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top