"Built in" SatNav Maps Update?

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We all know that the Emira comes with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, both of which will cater for a good choice of phone-based satnav options.

However, there's nothing that I can find in any of the online manuals around updating the maps for the built-in satnav.

Have any of you guys with early deliveries found out how to update the maps yet?

from other threads and the manuals I don't believe that the Emira supports OTA updates for vehicle firmware, but nothing is mentioned of map updates. Is it done online via another device and memory stick, for example, or only by dealers?

Has anyone been advised of how long free updates are available for and whether there's then any subscription/update charge??

The Emira's infotainment is based on Lynk & Co 01 which uses HERE maps. I would therefore assume that the Emira map technology and database is also based on HERE.

The process for updating map data is unclear, but best to assume its via a dealer until confirmed otherwise.

Using Here’s phone App, you can download updated maps, which can used when driving offline in the same way google maps works. There must be way for the built in software to be updated via wifi

I have a land rover and it uses Here maps, if the logic is the same for updateding maps you should go on a website via PC/MAC, download the updated maps on a USB key and with that, once inserted in your car, update the maps on the car nav system. The maps are some GB big

That’s exactly how I do it on my Type R. It requires a 16 gb thumb drive and between downloading the maps to the thumb drive and uploading the maps into the car it takes about an hour. I do it once a year in Jan.

I'm curious why anyone would opt for the built-in sat nav when Google Maps nav is almost always more user friendly, accurate, and as up-to-date as possible including current traffic conditions and other alerts. Is it just so the drivers screen map displays guidance in the center? I personally prefer and am used to Android Auto and Apple Carplay on the main infotainment screen of my recent vehicles.

I’m not sure myself why manufacturers even bother installing inbuilt satnav these days, but before @TomE has to police more off-topicness, and given that I thought I’d anticipated most of the replies above in my first post, first sentence, I’ll rephrase the question -

“Given that the Emira has inbuilt satnav, and regardless of any alternative, probably better options available through CarPlay or Android Auto, has anyone found out yet how to update the maps and whether there is any cost in doing this?” 😉

Anyone found out how to update the built-in SatNav yet?
I know, I can use Waze/Google/Apple/ Guru Pro, but I'd like to update the car one?

Also, do you know if you can change the default voice on the in-built SatNav? I haven't found an option

Back