• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emiras still being built with twisted seatbelts?

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A lot of new Emira video reviews have come out over the past couple days, and while watching them I couldn't help but notice that the cars in these videos STILL have twisted seatbelts (see below).

I don't understand — why are Emiras still being produced with the seatbelts installed in this way? Wasn't it agreed that this is wrong, and that it should be corrected? I remember a bunch of discussion on this specific topic a few months ago, but now I can't find it.

Sources:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 3.32.34 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 3.33.06 PM.jpg

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Twisted is correct -- seatbelt recall is completely different and has to do with locking mechanism.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Twisted seatbelt is indeed the correct orientation. Lotus recently confirmed this on my seatbelt recall. However, we don’t know why?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Seatbelt twist was a discussion on one of the seatbelt jamming threads:

Lotus insist the twist is correct.

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The real twist is that we'll probably never find out why Lotus decided to design it this way.

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The only thing I can think off is safety :) if it were placed in the correct way.. i guess depending on where this hinge hangs in combination with seat hight or orientation that it (might) cut your neck when its twisted inwards.. whereas now the belt twists outwards.. im just second guessing that this might be the reason as in some cars I did had this irritating cutting feeling especially wearing something that doesn't cover your neck

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a comfort thing.

The B-pillar mount is too high (it was in the Evora too) and non-adjustable.
Maybe for regulatory reasons??

I had untwisted my belts because they looked “wrong”, but after experimenting with twisted/untwisted both for me and Mrs KJD, who is a good bit shorter, we decided it was better with the twist which lifts the inside edge of the belt off the neck.
You can see in the pictures above of Harry and Jay that the belt lifts off the neck.

So I re-twisted mine back to “stock”. Definitely makes the belt less noticeable at the neck.

Maybe Lotus know what they’re doing after all?

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a comfort thing.

The B-pillar mount is too high (it was in the Evora too) and non-adjustable.
Maybe for regulatory reasons??

I had untwisted my belts because they looked “wrong”, but after experimenting with twisted/untwisted both for me and Mrs KJD, who is a good bit shorter, we decided it was better with the twist which lifts the inside edge of the belt off the neck.
You can see in the pictures above of Harry and Jay that the belt lifts off the neck.

So I re-twisted mine back to “stock”. Definitely makes the belt less noticeable at the neck.

Maybe Lotus know what they’re doing after all?
Ok, interesting! Thanks so much for the real-world data. Knowing that you've actually tried out both orientations and actually prefer it "stock" is all the convincing I need. :)

vroomvroom

Reaction score
Flew into Boston this morning, hopped into a rented 2019 Aston Martin Vantage, reached over my shoulder for the seatbelt and...HA! Twisted just like the Emira. Literally the only other car I've driven to have an (intentionally) twisted belt.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Took my car in yesterday to have some bits done, alignments etc, I brought up the twist, they say its supposed to be like that. strange.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine are "twisted" too, but they don't dig into my neck so they're comfortable. As long as they're safe and comfortable then I really don't mind.