Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

Subw00er

Reaction score
If you play with it, you may find it does. It still works in all orientations, but I noticed that the offset distance the phone can connect at changes, implying that some orientations are stronger than others. What I basically did was stack up paper at the max detection range, then rotated to play around.

gdotp

Reaction score
The power supply he's using for this is the nice ruggedized USB-C one that I posted in a prior thread. Plenty of overhead for the application and he has it mounted to the bulkhead.

View attachment 40290
Is this available in the U.K.? I’ve tried coolgears us site directly and it won’t ship to the us unless I provide an “optional” dhl account number….which I do t have

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is this available in the U.K.? I’ve tried coolgears us site directly and it won’t ship to the us unless I provide an “optional” dhl account number….which I do t have
You should email Coolgear directly, they can probably accommodate you but you wouldn't likely be able to order through e-commerce. Automation eliminates a lot of edge cases, but humans can often help.

gdotp

Reaction score
You should email Coolgear directly, they can probably accommodate you but you wouldn't likely be able to order through e-commerce. Automation eliminates a lot of edge cases, but humans can often help.
Thanks. I think I’ll try this out from Amazon U.K. I can put a usb c pigtail on it and I think it should do the same job.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks. I think I’ll try this out from Amazon U.K. I can put a usb c pigtail on it and I think it should do the same job.
That is absolutely not the same thing. USB-C requires a full digital handshake in order to choose what voltage and current to supply, it's not a direct-attach voltage supply.

gdotp

Reaction score
That is absolutely not the same thing. USB-C requires a full digital handshake in order to choose what voltage and current to supply, it's not a direct-attach voltage supply.
Ok thanks. How about this? This is usb output and I could pint up my own enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ok thanks. How about this? This is usb output and I could pint up my own enclosure.
Yes, that's much more reasonable. Needs a USB chipset to do the handshake, that one is QC so not a USB-C multi-voltage style but still reasonable. Should work for most QC support Qi induction chargers, just make sure the one you're using supports QC input.