❔ QUESTION Any chance Lotus having auto rev match on the manual Emira?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I know Porsche and many other auto manufacturers have added auto rev match on their manual transmissions.
Last year I bought a Hyundai Veloster N and it has auto rev matching, and I'm very glad it does, because the pedals are not set up very well at all for heel and towing.
My Ariel Atom was perfect for heel and toe rev matching.
My Boxter was pretty good.
Are most Lotus cars set up and easy for heel and towing??
Cheers.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I know Porsche and many other auto manufacturers have added auto rev match on their manual transmissions.
Last year I bought a Hyundai Veloster N and it has auto rev matching, and I'm very glad it does, because the pedals are not set up very well at all for heel and towing.
My Ariel Atom was perfect for heel and toe rev matching.
My Boxter was pretty good.
Are most Lotus cars set up and easy for heel and towing??
Cheers.
There won't be auto rev match, but the pedals are positioned closely for easy heel toe.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Considering the market Lotus are trying to move into/take market share from, I think they have missed a trick here in not having rev match

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Considering the market Lotus are trying to move into/take market share from, I think they have missed a trick here in not having rev match
Can you elaborate on that? Genuinely interested.

If you're buying a manual car, aren't you (at least partly) getting it for the analog interaction? Doesn't auto-blip take away from that? You don't have to be a driving god and H&T every shift (or any shift) to enjoy that manual experience. Surely an auto or DCT would be your go-to transmission for the car doing more of the work. I've never had auto-blip on a car, so not well placed to judge it.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

If you're buying a manual car, aren't you (at least partly) getting it for the analog interaction? Doesn't auto-blip take away from that? You don't have to be a driving god and H&T every shift (or any shift) to enjoy that manual experience. Surely an auto or DCT would be your go-to transmission for the car doing more of the work. I've never had auto-blip on a car, so not well placed to judge it.

I assume @Leonard just means that it's good to have options and features. The Emira is nicely equipped for sure, but lacking many features that even economy sports cars now commonly offer.. and that's disappointing.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Yeah sure.
It certainly does take away some of the interaction, but I think most people expect it as an option now.
I used to heel and toe religiously (because I had to) But every manual I've had bar my Golf Rs have had auto blip since 2014 and I like to have the option. Ironically the faster I'm going the more I like to have it on now as it still gives you the interaction but allows you to full concentrate in same way paddles do.
There's a whole new generation now that like the idea of manual but will never go to the trouble of learning to heel and tow. Same as some won't even learn how to use a clutch as auto is so prevalent.
There are so many cars with poor pedal set up that simply make it a PITA to heel and toe, or at least require some thought about footwear choice to facilitate. My Yaris GR is pretty poor from that standpoint, as was my 981 boxster surprisingly (both had auto blip however)
Finally just nice to be lazy sometimes and the car will always repeatedly do it better than you..(or me anyway) ☺️Ultimately I like stirring a box and I like rev matching noise and theatre. Just not too concerned anymore if I'm the one doing it or the car.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I assume @Leonard just means that it's good to have options and features. The Emira is nicely equipped for sure, but lacking many features that even economy sports cars now commonly offer.. and that's disappointing.
Yup and this. It's expected in a new car, same way you expect rain sensing wipers

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
New to the forum and my first post to boot!

Yes, I find this feature very desirable and one that I hope Lotus implements with the Emira…

A little about me:
I have an Emira deposit and am hopeful to get a car in 2023 or early 2024. Build will be a v6 mt. I currently track a Camaro SS1LE that has rev match. I’ve driven several mt’s on the track but the camaro is my first I haven’t had to h/t. Does that take away from the experience? I wouldn’t say so. Being I can toggle it off and on, I choose the scenario in which to use it.

One huge benefit I see with using it whether on track or as a DD is the perfect match. It helps with both downshifts and upshifts. The car is never unsettled; never lunges, no driveline shock. It actually lessens wear and tear on all components especially the clutch. That brings me to my desire that the Emira has it. This will be my first Lotus. i plan to wrench and do all but warranty work. That said, I believe a clutch replacement is a very involved, potentially costly, job. For that reason, if nothing else, I’d want the Emira to have it. Besides, this wouldn’t be something that adds weight. its just coding and would make the Emira more enticing/competitive and isn’t that the main reason behind the improvemts in the Emira over the Evora?

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh and speaking of ‘the experience’…. If you have a good sounding exhaust, like my camaro or the Emira/Evora, rev match ADDS to the enjoyment. Slowing down for a red light becomes a treat in its own way. I love hearing the pops and crackles.

firstlotus

Reaction score
Oh and speaking of ‘the experience’…. If you have a good sounding exhaust, like my camaro or the Emira/Evora, rev match ADDS to the enjoyment. Slowing down for a red light becomes a treat in its own way. I love hearing the pops and crackles.
If you're not getting the first run of cars, I would suspect that improvements will be forthcoming and possibly the rev-match might be there as well as other safety features, performance enhancements, etc... I am getting the V6 Manual - if I were ordering the I4 DCT I would wait for performance upgrades to that engine instead of getting a 360 hp version... you know a 400 if not a 450 is coming I would suspect...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah sure.
It certainly does take away some of the interaction, but I think most people expect it as an option now.
I used to heel and toe religiously (because I had to) But every manual I've had bar my Golf Rs have had auto blip since 2014 and I like to have the option. Ironically the faster I'm going the more I like to have it on now as it still gives you the interaction but allows you to full concentrate in same way paddles do.
There's a whole new generation now that like the idea of manual but will never go to the trouble of learning to heel and tow. Same as some won't even learn how to use a clutch as auto is so prevalent.
There are so many cars with poor pedal set up that simply make it a PITA to heel and toe, or at least require some thought about footwear choice to facilitate. My Yaris GR is pretty poor from that standpoint, as was my 981 boxster surprisingly (both had auto blip however)
Finally just nice to be lazy sometimes and the car will always repeatedly do it better than you..(or me anyway) ☺️Ultimately I like stirring a box and I like rev matching noise and theatre. Just not too concerned anymore if I'm the one doing it or the car.
Thanks that's helpful and I can see how it might be something you'd want as an option, particularly on a daily driver and if it's become common on other manual cars.

I've not encountered it on any of my cars, even as an option - clearly I should get out more! All my recent manual cars are Lotus, or no-frills family shared hacks. The family barges have always been autos as that's my wife's preference as the main user.

I enjoyed trying out an auto Evora recently and the combination of manual shifting on the paddles and auto-blip on downshift was fun but not something I feel the need to own. Mine's a weekend car, so I guess I'm not the target market, in the same way I don't feel I need most of the things in ADAS.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
New to the forum and my first post to boot!

Yes, I find this feature very desirable and one that I hope Lotus implements with the Emira…

A little about me:
I have an Emira deposit and am hopeful to get a car in 2023 or early 2024. Build will be a v6 mt. I currently track a Camaro SS1LE that has rev match. I’ve driven several mt’s on the track but the camaro is my first I haven’t had to h/t. Does that take away from the experience? I wouldn’t say so. Being I can toggle it off and on, I choose the scenario in which to use it.

One huge benefit I see with using it whether on track or as a DD is the perfect match. It helps with both downshifts and upshifts. The car is never unsettled; never lunges, no driveline shock. It actually lessens wear and tear on all components especially the clutch. That brings me to my desire that the Emira has it. This will be my first Lotus. i plan to wrench and do all but warranty work. That said, I believe a clutch replacement is a very involved, potentially costly, job. For that reason, if nothing else, I’d want the Emira to have it. Besides, this wouldn’t be something that adds weight. its just coding and would make the Emira more enticing/competitive and isn’t that the main reason behind the improvemts in the Emira over the Evora?
I can see how it could help with wear and tear. But I've done hundreds of thousands of miles in manual cars and never had to replace a clutch.

The Emira clutch should be less effort to tackle than the Evora, as the bodywork is panels rather than a clamshell and the engine bay is slightly larger. On the Evora several dealers and indies worked out how to do it without removing the whole back of the car. But also the rumour it's a weak point and needs doing at low mileage isn't the case. Yes, people post up about it when it happens, because it's a big job, but there are many examples of Evoras at 50k and 75k, even over 100k on the original clutch. The Toyota stuff is very reliable.

I'm pretty certain auto-blip not on the First Edition. If lots of people are saying it should be on the manual then maybe Lotus will add it as an option on the Base Edition.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks that's helpful and I can see how it might be something you'd want as an option, particularly on a daily driver and if it's become common on other manual cars.

I've not encountered it on any of my cars, even as an option - clearly I should get out more! All my recent manual cars are Lotus, or no-frills family shared hacks. The family barges have always been autos as that's my wife's preference as the main user.

I enjoyed trying out an auto Evora recently and the combination of manual shifting on the paddles and auto-blip on downshift was fun but not something I feel the need to own. Mine's a weekend car, so I guess I'm not the target market, in the same way I don't feel I need most of the things in ADAS.
I think that's the thing. Once you have experienced how good it is.... makes you realise do I really need to be doing this myself and how much am I get out of the rev matching (it is good, but...#effort) and how much do I like the effort of a manual without the actual effort.
I dont track often (every 4 years maybe) and last time I took a 991 GTS out and on a shirt circuit it was so full on I just put auto blip on and had a lot more of a relaxed time! Whilst given it 110%.....

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I really hope Lotus will have Auto rev matching as an option for the Emira.
I have it on my Hyundai Veloster N and it works flawlessly, and when I downshift aggressively it sounds brilliant, and the active exhaust pops and burbles.
I should also add that the pedals in the Veloster N are horrible for heel-toe, you need be a contortionist with your right foot to do it well.
I really don't see the downside to having auto rev match, because it's something you can simply turn on or off, and I'm sure it is handy on track, when learning a new track etc, eliminating one more thing you have to do.
Fingers 🤞.
How can we all express this desire to Lotus???
Anyone have any connections to Lotus, who you could mention this subject to?

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I hated the idea that to buy a Porsche 718 T, and use sport and sport+ mode, i had to accept Rev Matching. How irritating!

But then i realized: normal mode has no rev matching, but if you want to squeeze all of the speed out of it, you want to squeeze all the speed out of it. Rev matching actually is quite fun for when you want to go maximum sport. It really is go around a track or push to the limits of what the car can do. I agree the Emira should have it. Does it add weight? Does it cost a lot? I duno. I can imagine it adds complexity to the transmission. Porche makes only a few transmissions and they remain the same for years, super tested over engineered. My mx-5 does not have rev matching, it is less than half the price though.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the Harry's Garage video when they brake hard for the chicane he very quickly shifts down 3 gears with perfect rev matching. That guy is a pro driver so I'm sure he's capable of it but it was what I would expect in an auto rev matching car.

Last edited:

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
But again--isn't the Lotus going for driver purity? I'm not interested in most of these "features" that budget cars have. I want a decent engine, in a good looking, rare car, that's manual, that's a nice place to sit. More features and add-ons would actively take away from the Emira for me.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Btw, my 1LE has both rev match and (NLS) no lift shift. It’s a blast on the track.

I would giddy if Lotus implemented both technologies. For those that are stuck with purity notion, I’d encourage you to try it before you knock it.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They should really implement auto rev matching (and NLS would be cool as well). They could just create a menu point on the infotainment screen where you can switch it on and off via the touchscreen. The Lotus guys „only“ have to code it, there is no extra hardware or a button or whatever required to bring it to the car.
If they do it at some point later in production, the new architecture would probably make it possible to flash that feature onto existing Emiras as well, but who knows if Lotus will bring such (or any) software updates to already sold cars. This would be very new school 😜