❔ QUESTION Any chance Lotus having auto rev match on the manual Emira?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I know Porsche and many other auto manufacturers have added auto rev match on their manual transmissions.
Last year I bought a Hyundai Veloster N and it has auto rev matching, and I'm very glad it does, because the pedals are not set up very well at all for heel and towing.
My Ariel Atom was perfect for heel and toe rev matching.
My Boxter was pretty good.
Are most Lotus cars set up and easy for heel and towing??
Cheers.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They should really implement auto rev matching (and NLS would be cool as well). They could just create a menu point on the infotainment screen where you can switch it on and off via the touchscreen. The Lotus guys „only“ have to code it, there is no extra hardware or a button or whatever required to bring it to the car.
If they do it at some point later in production, the new architecture would probably make it possible to flash that feature onto existing Emiras as well, but who knows if Lotus will bring such (or any) software updates to already sold cars. This would be very new school 😜
In addition to software changes would it not also need an extra sensor on the gearbox or shifter mechanism so the ecu knows which gear you are shifting from/to?

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Nearly every modern car knows the gear it is in. You have probably seen manual cars that give you shifting recommendations to save fuel. They can only do that because they know the selected gear. If you shift from 4 to 3 for example the car knows that in the moment you push the gear stick forward into the shift gate of gear 3.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Nearly every modern car knows the gear it is in. You have probably seen manual cars that give you shifting recommendations to save fuel. They can only do that because they know the selected gear. If you shift from 4 to 3 for example the car knows that in the moment you push the gear stick forward into the shift gate of gear 3.
That is a good point, now I think about it the last manual I drove (some otherwise forgettable cheapo hire car) had one of those shift recommendations on the dash. It would be good if rev matching could be added to the Emira easily, although I'm hoping the pedals will be well set up for heel and toeing.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've added this to my list of topics to discuss with Lotus. I'll see what I can find out over the next two weeks.
Awesome thanks Tom
I honestly think they would be missing a trick if they could add it at small development cost, but chose not to. The 981 Cayman/Boxster and 991 have had it since 2013...
You can buy aftermarket boxes, but I am sure it is just software and could be programmed into the exisiting ECU at source

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks Tom much appreciated.
I don't mind heel-toeing myself, but some days you just don't feel like it, but want the benefits of very smooth downshifts.
I also personally think adding this feature would add to their customer base.
Also, thinking about what one member said about putting less strain on the transmission and clutch is definitely true, and a valid reason for getting auto rev-match.
When I try to rev-match in my Veloster N and get it wrong, when I release the clutch the car will sometimes feel unsettled or jerk.
If it's only a software related thing, can it be that difficult or expensive for Lotus to implement??
I just hope Lotus doesn't put there pride in the way of this, because their slogan is "For the Drivers" and Lotus needs to know that some "Real Drivers" still want this feature.
Comes in handy when you are learning a new circuit, or driving on an unfamiliar back/canyon road.
Porsche has had it since 2013, Lotus it's time.
Fingers crossed they put auto rev-matching into the Emira, cuz I really don't want to have to buy an aftermarket unit. 🤞🤞🤞

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If it was a small development cost, imagine the goodwill Lotus would generate with their customers if they announced that rev matching was going to be an extra freebie on FE cars. Would help make up for all the poor/inconsistent communication. Go on, suggest it to them TomE :)

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tom,
New here, but apparently you're the man! Thanks for all that you do helping our voices be heard.

To continue on with my, stupid american that drives a heavy 1LE perspective, I have a few more thoughts while we're at it.

My driver/track centric wish list includes the following features (in order of priority).
1) Rev Match
2) Shift Lights
3) No Lift Shift
4) Heads up display
5) Integrated personal data recorder

I believe the top 2-3 should be standard in a track capable car. #4-5 could be part of driver's pack that I'd purchase. I have them in my Camaro and love it. It's also available in all Corvettes. Lotus could further sway customers from Porsche, GM and other brands by implementing this items.

For those unfamiliar with the tech, look here:
Rev Match Explained: NLS and recorder Explained/Demonstrated:

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Tom,
New here, but apparently you're the man! Thanks for all that you do helping our voices be heard.

To continue on with my, stupid american that drives a heavy 1LE perspective, I have a few more thoughts while we're at it.

My driver/track centric wish list includes the following features (in order of priority).
1) Rev Match
2) Shift Lights
3) No Lift Shift
4) Heads up display
5) Integrated personal data recorder

I believe the top 2-3 should be standard in a track capable car. #4-5 could be part of driver's pack that I'd purchase. I have them in my Camaro and love it. It's also available in all Corvettes. Lotus could further sway customers from Porsche, GM and other brands by implementing this items.

For those unfamiliar with the tech, look here:
Rev Match Explained: NLS and recorder Explained/Demonstrated:
I think auto rev-match should remain our priority, but shift lights would also be nice.
I have both on my Hyundai Veloster N.
If Hyundai can offer them then Lotus should be able to offer them on a much more track focused car where they are needed most.

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Emira will have a drive by wire throttle?
If so then this product is an option.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Folks, I appreciate the ideas and feedback and will do what I can to represent your views to Lotus. I'm one view amongst many and regulars on here will know it's not straightforward.

To manage your expectations though. We are not part of an early adopter beta programme. The Emira has already been specified, designed and is a long way through the global type approvals process. Procurement for production has been well underway for months, due to the problems with global supply chains. Whatever Lotus have already decided to include or exclude is unlikely to be changed for the V6 First Edition cars. It may be considered for i4 FE or Base Edition, I don't know. I appreciate some of the things being suggested are "only software" but that doesn't necessarily mean they can be added.

I don't know about shift lights. They were on early Evoras then not on later versions. NLS I don't think is on the V6 manual. It exists on the V6 auto and i4 DCT. There won't be a HUD. There is some data logging but I don't think that's in the realms of a full log and download of all parameters.

Drivers Pack (standard on First Editions) includes the Track HMI on the two cockpit displays. Some of this is via widgets and is configurable. You can get an overview of this from about 7:30 in this video of the cockpit prototype rig:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Folks, I appreciate the ideas and feedback and will do what I can to represent your views to Lotus. I'm one view amongst many and regulars on here will know it's not straightforward.

To manage your expectations though. We are not part of an early adopter beta programme. The Emira has already been specified, designed and is a long way through the global type approvals process. Procurement for production has been well underway for months, due to the problems with global supply chains. Whatever Lotus have already decided to include or exclude is unlikely to be changed for the V6 First Edition cars. It may be considered for i4 FE or Base Edition, I don't know. I appreciate some of the things being suggested are "only software" but that doesn't necessarily mean they can be added.

I don't know about shift lights. They were on early Evoras then not on later versions. NLS I don't think is on the V6 manual. It exists on the V6 auto and i4 DCT. There won't be a HUD. There is some data logging but I don't think that's in the realms of a full log and download of all parameters.

Drivers Pack (standard on First Editions) includes the Track HMI on the two cockpit displays. Some of this is via widgets and is configurable. You can get an overview of this from about 7:30 in this video of the cockpit prototype rig:

Thanks Tom. I don't expect Lotus to change anything based on our feedback. But I hope they at least take a look at what you are offering them and consider its value from a customer research perspective

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Emira will have a drive by wire throttle?
If so then this product is an option.

I use this in my gt350 and absolutely love it on track. It made me faster to not have to be concerned about upsetting the car into a corner and could focus more on braking.

I'm opting for the auto on the Emira because I didn't want to mess with the electrical on this car since it seems historically Lotus electrical can be finicky. Plus I've been wanting to try paddles on track for some time now, so seems like the right time to try it.

If rev match was on the manual, I'd have a tougher decision to make for sure!

IanO

Reaction score
The gear detection for the shift light normally comes from comparing engine speed to vehicle speed when the clutch is engaged which requires no extra hardware as engine and vehicle speed are available with standard sensors. For rev matching the engine needs to know the gear before the clutch is closed which requires extra sensors, either gear lever position sensor or a transmission input speed sensor. To add these you not only have the cost of the sensor but also the development and tooling costs to make the parts to fit them. All doable if you can afford the cost but hard decisions have to be made if you are trying to make a small volume sports car at a profit and this might have been one of them.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not having this is a big oversight in my opinion. They're advertising the Emira as the "more usable everyday Lotus". Auto rev should be a no brainer

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So ok..... I did ask..... and there is know auto blip on or coming to the 6 speed manul , the FE V6 auto will blip on changing down.... I am not sure if this covers the i4.... but I dont think.... but could be wrong

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
personally, I never use the auto revmatch on the streets.

Although, when i'm on track and going 220-230km/h, heading into a heavy braking zone, I appreciate having my left foot firmly applying the brakes while not having to handle the gas pedal. It just allows the peace of mind to brake as late as possible.

I've been doing track days for over 10 years, I'va had multiple cars which did not have auto rev-match, always a lot of fun, but I was always holding back a little bit in high speed heavy breaking zones, just in case I miss the heal and toe or that my foot slips from the brake pedal.