❔ QUESTION Any chance Lotus having auto rev match on the manual Emira?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I know Porsche and many other auto manufacturers have added auto rev match on their manual transmissions.
Last year I bought a Hyundai Veloster N and it has auto rev matching, and I'm very glad it does, because the pedals are not set up very well at all for heel and towing.
My Ariel Atom was perfect for heel and toe rev matching.
My Boxter was pretty good.
Are most Lotus cars set up and easy for heel and towing??
Cheers.

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No worries, I'll just get an Auto Blip unit for my Emira.
I currently have Auto rev-match an my Veloster N and love it, especially since the pedals in the car are not spaced very well for heel-and-toing.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No worries, I'll just get an Auto Blip unit for my Emira.
I currently have Auto rev-match an my Veloster N and love it, especially since the pedals in the car are not spaced very well for heel-and-toing.
keeping the GT4 as the track duty car, so I'm not too bothered with the fact the auto rev-match is missing :D

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So ok..... I did ask..... and there is know auto blip on or coming to the 6 speed manul , the FE V6 auto will blip on changing down.... I am not sure if this covers the i4.... but I dont think.... but could be wrong
Confirmed to me as well. The i4 is DCT so rev matches as standard.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@TomE that's a shame. Lotus keeps letting us down. For the first time I'm highly considering canceling my deposit. From the oversights like these to the complete lack of transparency. If I were to be called today to lock in my deposit I would no doubt cancel. I can't believe I went from the excitement level I had to disappointment I'm feeling now.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@TomE that's a shame. Lotus keeps letting us down. For the first time I'm highly considering canceling my deposit. From the oversights like these to the complete lack of transparency. If I were to be called today to lock in my deposit I would no doubt cancel. I can't believe I went from the excitement level I had to disappointment I'm feeling now.
To be fair it was never promised!
And you could add a 3rd party solution if you so wished

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Leonard rev match doesn't exist on the aftermarket. Only heel toe rev match ( it only rev matches when you hit the brake) and it would certainly void lotus's warranty. I'm sure the car will have electrical issues to be begin with so it's best not to complicate things more

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm sorry that's how you feel. It was never promised or hinted at, so is hardly an oversight. I think it's slightly unfair to say "Lotus keeps letting us down". This is a pre-production car, so early adopters have to expect a degree of risk (I haven't had a test drive or press review before having to lock in my spec). But, for most people you will have much more info over the next 2-3 months and that will be well before you have to lock in your spec.

Someone cancelled last year solely because the Emira doesn't have keyless entry. I don't think I'll ever understand how something like that can be a deal-breaker.

You have to decide based on the available information and your needs and expectations. You probably don't have to decide today. If it doesn't suit your needs that's fine, a shame but fine.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@Leonard rev match doesn't exist on the aftermarket. Only heel toe rev match ( it only rev matches when you hit the brake) and it would certainly void lotus's warranty. I'm sure the car will have electrical issues to be begin with so it's best not to complicate things more
Tbf you should be braking 99% of time anyway rather than pure engine braking so it's still an OK solution
Just search for autoblip

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@TomE I don't think anyone is canceling their order based on a single let down. It's more so that this car is being marketed as a something different and its not. The same thing with the brand as far as customer service. It's all the same. They had how many years to do these things and the talk is that eventually in a few years the car might have these options, the last years of its production.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
@TomE I don't think anyone is canceling their order based on a single let down. It's more so that this car is being marketed as a something different and its not. The same thing with the brand as far as customer service. It's all the same. They had how many years to do these things and the talk is that eventually in a few years the car might have these options, the last years of its production.
I do think 'old Lotus' maybe looked at auto blip and dismissed it immediately as nannying and unnecessary for 'real' drivers. But in all honesty I don't think they even considered it all. Certainly something I'd rather see in a modern sports car over multi adjustable electric seats, but it isn't a deal braker (see what I did there)

2001f4s

Reaction score
I currently have Auto Rev Matching on my Mini and frankly bought a 991.1 GTS with Sport Chrono because it had this feature. I don't mind blipping the throttle, but if the car does it automatically, I see it as a positive feature. You would think that if Mini could do it for 1/3 the price of the Emira, Lotus could easily implement this.

IanO

Reaction score
I do think 'old Lotus' maybe looked at auto blip and dismissed it immediately as nannying and unnecessary for 'real' drivers. But in all honesty I don't think they even considered it all. Certainly something I'd rather see in a modern sports car over multi adjustable electric seats, but it isn't a deal braker (see what I did there)
I currently have Auto Rev Matching on my Mini and frankly bought a 991.1 GTS with Sport Chrono because it had this feature. I don't mind blipping the throttle, but if the car does it automatically, I see it as a positive feature. You would think that if Mini could do it for 1/3 the price of the Emira, Lotus could easily implement this.
But Mini don’t do it for 1/3 the cost. Depending on gearbox design you are looking at approximately £2m to change the tooling to add an input shaft sensor. As Mini already have rev matching let’s assume the transmission has a 10year life cycle and Mini production volumes are roughly 300,000 per annum. I’m going to guess manuals are 50% of production so working this all through gives a tooling cost per vehicle of £1.33.

Lotus are planning 5k vehicles per year, the V6 manual goes out of production in 2026 and assuming 50% of the cars produced are manual this gives a tooling cost of £200 per vehicle.

Creating a low volume high quality car is very challenging and I’m very happy they have spent the money on making the car look fabulous and giving it a vastly improved interior compared to the Evora. Rev matching would be nice but I’ll manage without if it means I can have a car that looks as good as the Emira does.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
But Mini don’t do it for 1/3 the cost. Depending on gearbox design you are looking at approximately £2m to change the tooling to add an input shaft sensor. As Mini already have rev matching let’s assume the transmission has a 10year life cycle and Mini production volumes are roughly 300,000 per annum. I’m going to guess manuals are 50% of production so working this all through gives a tooling cost per vehicle of £1.33.

Lotus are planning 5k vehicles per year, the V6 manual goes out of production in 2026 and assuming 50% of the cars produced are manual this gives a tooling cost of £200 per vehicle.

Creating a low volume high quality car is very challenging and I’m very happy they have spent the money on making the car look fabulous and giving it a vastly improved interior compared to the Evora. Rev matching would be nice but I’ll manage without if it means I can have a car that looks as good as the Emira does.
I could well be wrong, but I'd be suprised if modern auto blip doesn't run entirely off of ECU data.

IanO

Reaction score
I could well be wrong, but I'd be suprised if modern auto blip doesn't run entirely off of ECU data.
It does but the ECU needs to have the data of which gear to target. If the sensors to do that are fitted it is a quick and cheap addition, if they aren’t it isn’t. It’s like going shopping blindfold without a shopping list, you’ll end up with something in your basket but it probably won’t be what you want.

You could do something cheap and cheerful like if you press the clutch and not the brake target the next higher gear as you are probably accelerating, if you press the clutch whilst braking target the next lower gear as you are slowing down. This would only give you what you want some of the time which is probably ok if it is an aftermarket accessory you had fitted but if it was fitted as standard I suspect you would get a lot of bitching on forums on how crap the rev matching is 🤣

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It does but the ECU needs to have the data of which gear to target. If the sensors to do that are fitted it is a quick and cheap addition, if they aren’t it isn’t. It’s like going shopping blindfold without a shopping list, you’ll end up with something in your basket but it probably won’t be what you want.

You could do something cheap and cheerful like if you press the clutch and not the brake target the next higher gear as you are probably accelerating, if you press the clutch whilst braking target the next lower gear as you are slowing down. This would only give you what you want some of the time which is probably ok if it is an aftermarket accessory you had fitted but if it was fitted as standard I suspect you would get a lot of bitching on forums on how crap the rev matching is 🤣
I just figure all modern cars are constantly storing telemetry and know exactly what gear you are in and what rpm and speed you are doing 🤔 Why you can pay to see if card have had many over revs etc

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score

the cluster already displays what gear you are in, so they most likely already have that sensor.

IanO

Reaction score
I just figure all modern cars are constantly storing telemetry and know exactly what gear you are in and what rpm and speed you are doing 🤔 Why you can pay to see if card have had many over revs etc
Modern ECUs have a huge amount of data from intake air temperatures to boost pressures plus all the emissions equipment sensors.

Engine speed is one of the basic signals needed to run electronic injection and has been there from the start. Once adaption and diagnostics came along then you get the ability to store data as well. Together these make the storing of over-rev data relatively easy.

The key thing is that all this info is needed to make the engine run. On a manual gearbox you don’t need much information to make the engine work, on early systems there was no input from the gearbox but then later clutch sensors were added to help manage neutral states. Rev matching is a nice to have that needs sensors you generally don’t need to make the engine run so it is an added cost that can easily be thrifted out of a budget plan as it doesn’t benefit most customers on mainstream vehicles, my wife has never asked me why she doesn’t have rev matching!

Different manufacturers will place different emphasis on how they want a car to drive and some will pay for it, some do not and some put it just on sporting models.