• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Air con known issue -no fix yet [EDIT: now with official fix]

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wait...what? So your dealer know of the new diverter panel? See this is a problem...I send my dealer an email and pictures of what is posted on page 7 here, asked them to check into it, and was just told that was for RHD cars..and if there was more to it, they would know about it.

Is there anyone that can get a part number or bulletin number for this? Mine is still at the dealer, now waiting on a fuel tank pressure sensor. If thing does apply to us, I would really like to get it implemented.
Oh, I am not sure if there is a part number or if the dealer knows about it. I asked if they received any other parts other than the resistor pack to prevent the water damage. They said no. They didn't acknowledge or deny that such a part existed.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no faith Lotus will fix this correctly on my car. When the do replace the part, I will change how I wash the car. I don't drive it in the rain. I will do the windshield with glass cleaner and wedge towels below the windshield wiper just in case any cleaner/water get there, but I plan to hose from the hood down and from the roof to the back of the car. Again, I have zero faith it will be a long term fix so I will just make sure water doesn't get in there.
I also think we may have to come up with some kind of hack to keep the car safe when washing. Maybe stuffing towels in the all the topside vent openings…

tnbuilder

Reaction score
Oh, I am not sure if there is a part number or if the dealer knows about it. I asked if they received any other parts other than the resistor pack to prevent the water damage. They said no. They didn't acknowledge or deny that such a part existed.
Ah..ok, thank you for clarifying.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I also think we may have to come up with some kind of hack to keep the car safe when washing. Maybe stuffing towels in the all the topside vent openings…
That is what I am going to do once my car is fixed in May. My dealer said Lotus is aware of the issue and will be doing a permanent fix which should then be a recall/service item issued to all owners. I told him I wasn't waiting on that from Lotus cause who knows when (or if) that will ever be. Just replace the parts and I will make sure water doesn't get in when I wash the car. I also talked to Cape Fear Lotus (different dealer) and they said they have already fixed about 3 cars by replacing resistor, etc.

chipshopman

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine's going in to the dealer workshop on Friday 19th April and Lotus HQ Customer Services have confirmed that the part has been sent out. So, fingers crossed by May this will be a solved problem!
Got my Emira back from the shop all fixed, everything seems to be working fine and this is the new version of the resister pack which has additional parts and better water-proofing.

I talked with the Lotus Silverstone chap about a service in July and when he rang back and confirmed he said they'd also fit the additional rain cover thingy that's been mentioned on the forum.

So far so good, but let's see what happens when the british weather intervenes again!

Martylemoo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just sat in the dealership booking my car in for an airbag fault, they confirmed the shield is a recall but it’s a temporary fix apparently. No stock of parts so I cannot have it fitted yet.
If I can find the part number I will just get one and fit it myself. Much easier than another day at the dealers.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also interesting that S2 Elises also had resistor pack issues due to the location under the front clam and water ingress- you’d think they’d learn.
Yeah, and the official solution was to drill drain holes from below! That worked for my 2006 Elise, never had a problem with AC/fans and it gets wet frequently. 👍 :giggle:

Zardoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone on this thread, Just left the USA/Canada delivery thread as took delivery yesterday. AC gave up with salesperson in car when going over everything. I made it a point to fiddle with AC first based on what I read here.
Chief mechanic hooked up OBD & no codes showed up. I told him it was the resistor pack (well known problem now) I asked if he read this forum (didn't) I sent him this thread. Lo & behold, they contacted me this am & said it was resistor & was ordered.

Now to the question - How long does it take to get this part? PLEASE! do not say "soon"

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi everyone on this thread, Just left the USA/Canada delivery thread as took delivery yesterday. AC gave up with salesperson in car when going over everything. I made it a point to fiddle with AC first based on what I read here.
Chief mechanic hooked up OBD & no codes showed up. I told him it was the resistor pack (well known problem now) I asked if he read this forum (didn't) I sent him this thread. Lo & behold, they contacted me this am & said it was resistor & was ordered.

Now to the question - How long does it take to get this part? PLEASE! do not say "soon"
Crazy to think our forum has better info than what Lotus tech's have... quick question is your car's VIN in the 2000's or under? Trying to get a feel if newer VIN's have new part fitted.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the front bonnet open ? I'm trying to figure out if I had the so called shield fitted (it looks so) but idk how it looked before. I remember some member with a blue emira long time ago took a picture of the bonnet open but I just couldn’t find it to see the difference. Or maybe someone can confirm if it has been installed or not (added pic). Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_5877.jpeg
    IMG_5877.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 68

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Does anyone have a picture of the front bonnet open ? I'm trying to figure out if I had the so called shield fitted (it looks so) but idk how it looked before. I remember some member with a blue emira long time ago took a picture of the bonnet open but I just couldn’t find it to see the difference. Or maybe someone can confirm if it has been installed or not (added pic). Thanks in advance :)
Good pic. Can someone draw an arrow showing where the A/C resistor is located?

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Using the pics of a shield that was already installed from earlier in this thread…

IMG_7013.jpeg
IMG_7014.jpeg

It appears the shield would be here somewhere…

IMG_7021.jpeg

Can we get better pics of this area @Shahaf2911 ?

Last edited:

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From others’ descriptions of the repair, this area “funnels” water down into the deeper recesses of the car where the resistor is located. That’s why they have to take fenders off. I don’t believe the resistor is visible with just the hood up. The shield prevents the funneling of water from what I understood. If that’s incorrect someone else speak up.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's an image from the service manual for removing the windshield. It doesn't show those wings on either side of the central boxy thing like you have that covers all that stuff you can see in this graphic.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.43.56 AM.png

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I also read somewhere that the side of the car the resistor funnel would be on may not affect water intrusion as much depending on it being a left hand or right hand drive car. Don’t know if there’s any merit to that.

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here's an image from the service manual for removing the windshield. It doesn't show those wings on either side of the central boxy thing like you have that covers all that stuff you can see in this graphic.
View attachment 42498

This is another pic (@KJD) from 8/2023 showing the same looking wing pieces from above.

IMG_7023.jpeg

Don’t mind the red circle, but zoom in on the yellow circle. I wonder if this hole is present on both sides of the wing pieces? That is a water funnel if I’ve ever seen one 😟

Last edited:

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
that’s exactly the picture I was referring to I looked for it for quite a while well done!
And unfortunately I already put the cover and charger on the car as I’m flying back home.. but it looks exactly the same on both sides here’s a close up if it helps

IMG_5879.png

Because mine and the old picture + the red car all seem the same I have a feeling the part is underneath these plastic parts (just an assumption), if someone who has it installed can open up their bonnet it would really help!