A unicorn joins the stable

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Unicorns. Cars so rare that most people have never seen one in real life, let alone driven one. Limited runs, special editions and special projects. Cars ahead of their time or at the wrong time. Sometimes cars that didn’t sell well when launched but with hindsight have been recognised for their greatness.

Cars developed with a single-minded purpose, to be the best they could be.

Lotus have built a few of these. The Esprit Sport 350, Elan 26R, 340R, 2-11 and 3-11. I could try and argue my S1 Exige falls into this category, with a focus on purity of driver engagement, analogue controls, no driver aids and minimal creature comforts. With only 604 cars built it’s rare, but is it too many to count as a unicorn?

In 2015, Lotus CEO Jean Marc Gales instigated a return to a core Lotus principle of “simplify and add lightness” and established the Lightness Lab. Every component was assessed on whether it could be lightened, removed or combined with another to serve a dual purpose.

One outcome of that was a car that didn’t so much shave weight as take an axe to it. A car clothed in carbon panels that was 116kg or 8% lighter than its showroom sibling. A showcase for Lotus ride and handling expertise, developed in partnership with Ohlins and motorsport gurus MGR. Aerodynamic features that give more downforce than a 1970s Lotus F1 car. And not just at the 190mph top speed but also useable downforce at fast road speeds.

Only 58 cars were built. Just 23 are in the UK. Most are long-term keepers and those that come up for sale usually change hands without being advertised. The majority were registered in 2018-19, built to each customer’s individual specification. Just one was registered in 2020, the last car, commissioned not to a customer spec but by Lotus Head of UK Sales Scott Walker. The only one in a special pearlescent paint.

Unicorns do exist.

I'm very excited to welcome to the garage, the last car to be registered and the only Liquid Yellow Evora GT430 in the world.

GT430-0017.jpg

AliT-0002.jpg

AliT-0025.jpg

GT430-0001.jpg

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here are some stats and specs:
  • Dry weight: 1258 kg or 2773 pounds
  • Kerb weight: 1299 kg or 2863 pounds, compared to 1415 kg / 3119 pounds for the Evora 400
  • Engine: Toyota 2GRFE 3.5 litre V6 supercharged and charge cooled
  • Power: 430 hp at 7000 rpm
  • Torque: 440 Nm at 4500 rpm
  • 0-60mph: 3.7 s
  • Top speed: 190 mph
  • Suspension: Ohlins TTX 2-way adjustable dampers, Eibach ultra-light springs
  • Brakes: AP Racing 4-piston calipers with J-grooved and ventilated discs
  • Wheels: forged gloss black
  • Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
  • Torsen-type limited slip differential
  • Downforce: 250 kg at 190 mph
  • Hethel lap time: 1:25.8
  • Driver selectable 4-mode ESP (Drive/Sport/Race/Off) and 6-step variable traction control
  • Sparco sports seats
  • Cruise control, CarPlay, sat nav, heated seats, reversing camera, air conditioning

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Some more pictures:

Rear view mirror largely useless, although a nice view of the supercharger and relief valve. The view in the side mirror more than makes up for it.

GT430-0002.jpg

GT430-0003.jpg

Steering wheel sculpted just right, with clear analogue gauges and tactile secondary controls

GT430-0005.jpg

Manual shifter, manual handbrake

GT430-0006.jpg

Hand-made details

GT430-0004.jpg

GT430-0007.jpg

Sparco carbon-backed seats with a mix of leather and alcantara, hand stitched logos and accents and good bolstering

GT430-0010.jpg

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That wing - it's as big as an ironing board:

GT430-0011.jpg

GT430-0012.jpg

GT430-0013.jpg

Lots of aero parts and carbon details. Carbon fibre body panels, roof, rear hatch, bonnet and access panel, wing, front splitter, front and rear ducts, air blades and intake details:

GT430-0014.jpg

GT430-0018.jpg

GT430-0009.jpg

GT430-0020.jpg

AliT-0029.jpg

The secret blank button that opens the exhaust valve full time - what a noise!

GT430-0008.jpg

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That wing - it's as big as an ironing board:

View attachment 23414

View attachment 23415

View attachment 23416

Lots of aero parts and carbon details. Carbon fibre body panels, roof, rear hatch, bonnet and access panel, wing, front splitter, front and rear ducts, air blades and intake details:

View attachment 23418

View attachment 23417

View attachment 23413

View attachment 23419

View attachment 23420

The secret blank button that opens the exhaust valve full time - what a noise!

View attachment 23412
Absolutely excellent Tom, well worth the wait. Enjoy. Great choice.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Come on then, let's hear what it sounds like :D
I'll do some recordings next weekend. I was too busy enjoying the driving and grinning like a fool on my way back from picking it up. It took ages, I kept getting lost ;)

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'll do some recordings next weekend. I was too busy enjoying the driving and grinning like a fool on my way back from picking it up. It took ages, I kept getting lost ;)
Lovely car mate. And liquid yellow is possibly my favourite colour ever....:love:

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Nice car Tom, congratulations.
I too am looking to the back catalogue for my next Lotus, it seems to make more sense🍻

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Unicorns. Cars so rare that most people have never seen one in real life, let alone driven one. Limited runs, special editions and special projects. Cars ahead of their time or at the wrong time. Sometimes cars that didn’t sell well when launched but with hindsight have been recognised for their greatness.

Cars developed with a single-minded purpose, to be the best they could be.

Lotus have built a few of these. The Esprit Sport 350, Elan 26R, 340R, 2-11 and 3-11. I could try and argue my S1 Exige falls into this category, with a focus on purity of driver engagement, analogue controls, no driver aids and minimal creature comforts. With only 604 cars built it’s rare, but is it too many to count as a unicorn?

In 2015, Lotus CEO Jean Marc Gales instigated a return to a core Lotus principle of “simplify and add lightness” and established the Lightness Lab. Every component was assessed on whether it could be lightened, removed or combined with another to serve a dual purpose.

One outcome of that was a car that didn’t so much shave weight as take an axe to it. A car clothed in carbon panels that was 116kg or 8% lighter than its showroom sibling. A showcase for Lotus ride and handling expertise, developed in partnership with Ohlins and motorsport gurus MGR. Aerodynamic features that give more downforce than a 1970s Lotus F1 car. And not just at the 190mph top speed but also useable downforce at fast road speeds.

Only 58 cars were built. Just 23 are in the UK. Most are long-term keepers and those that come up for sale usually change hands without being advertised. The majority were registered in 2018-19, built to each customer’s individual specification. Just one was registered in 2020, the last car, commissioned not to a customer spec but by Lotus Head of UK Sales Scott Walker. The only one in a special pearlescent paint.

Unicorns do exist.

I'm very excited to welcome to the garage, the last car to be registered and the only Liquid Yellow Evora GT430 in the world.

View attachment 23400
View attachment 23404
View attachment 23402View attachment 23403
Enjoy, I am sure it’s special

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nice car Tom, congratulations.
I too am looking to the back catalogue for my next Lotus, it seems to make more sense🍻

I know about another Evora GT430 for sale, if you or anyone else is interested.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations. That’s an awesome bit of kit! Very jealous you are driving it right now 😁

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations Tom, stunning looking car, hope you have many happy / stress free miles in it :)

For the drivers

Reaction score
Congratulations Tom stunning car in the best colour ever, it’s been hard keeping your secret to myself. So happy for you.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Congratulations Tom on a stunning car and colour. Enjoy many miles of safe and fast driving. I’m sure you will have a huge smile every time you get into it.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations Tom! That’s an amazing ride and color. Very happy for you. Cameras cannot capture the depth and the different shades you see as light travels through it.

I need to do the Certificate of Provenance on my 2021 Evora GT. I don’t think there are many Liquid Yellow in the US since it was a ~$8K USD option on a car that not many people were buying to begin with.

50C1B878-2A9D-408B-90AC-55524AB2F717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: