A unicorn joins the stable

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Congrats TomE! I guess with the unicorn in the stable, I suppose you’ll not be wanting the Emira? 😂

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well I was not going expecting that! Looks amazing. Enjoy 😀

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Now that's a proper Lotus. It's gorgeous, and the absolute pinnacle of what a Lotus car will ever be. Massive congratulations!

Don't ever replace that with an Emira. You would regret it for the rest of your life.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Nice!

Wish they'd kept that analog look for the gauges on Emira.

AndySXV

Reaction score
Unicorns. Cars so rare that most people have never seen one in real life, let alone driven one. Limited runs, special editions and special projects. Cars ahead of their time or at the wrong time. Sometimes cars that didn’t sell well when launched but with hindsight have been recognised for their greatness.

Cars developed with a single-minded purpose, to be the best they could be.

Lotus have built a few of these. The Esprit Sport 350, Elan 26R, 340R, 2-11 and 3-11. I could try and argue my S1 Exige falls into this category, with a focus on purity of driver engagement, analogue controls, no driver aids and minimal creature comforts. With only 604 cars built it’s rare, but is it too many to count as a unicorn?

In 2015, Lotus CEO Jean Marc Gales instigated a return to a core Lotus principle of “simplify and add lightness” and established the Lightness Lab. Every component was assessed on whether it could be lightened, removed or combined with another to serve a dual purpose.

One outcome of that was a car that didn’t so much shave weight as take an axe to it. A car clothed in carbon panels that was 116kg or 8% lighter than its showroom sibling. A showcase for Lotus ride and handling expertise, developed in partnership with Ohlins and motorsport gurus MGR. Aerodynamic features that give more downforce than a 1970s Lotus F1 car. And not just at the 190mph top speed but also useable downforce at fast road speeds.

Only 58 cars were built. Just 23 are in the UK. Most are long-term keepers and those that come up for sale usually change hands without being advertised. The majority were registered in 2018-19, built to each customer’s individual specification. Just one was registered in 2020, the last car, commissioned not to a customer spec but by Lotus Head of UK Sales Scott Walker. The only one in a special pearlescent paint.

Unicorns do exist.

I'm very excited to welcome to the garage, the last car to be registered and the only Liquid Yellow Evora GT430 in the world.

View attachment 23400
View attachment 23404
View attachment 23402View attachment 23403
What a Stunner, the colour is amazing, well done Tom!

Briggo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Unicorns. Cars so rare that most people have never seen one in real life, let alone driven one. Limited runs, special editions and special projects. Cars ahead of their time or at the wrong time. Sometimes cars that didn’t sell well when launched but with hindsight have been recognised for their greatness.

Cars developed with a single-minded purpose, to be the best they could be.

Lotus have built a few of these. The Esprit Sport 350, Elan 26R, 340R, 2-11 and 3-11. I could try and argue my S1 Exige falls into this category, with a focus on purity of driver engagement, analogue controls, no driver aids and minimal creature comforts. With only 604 cars built it’s rare, but is it too many to count as a unicorn?

In 2015, Lotus CEO Jean Marc Gales instigated a return to a core Lotus principle of “simplify and add lightness” and established the Lightness Lab. Every component was assessed on whether it could be lightened, removed or combined with another to serve a dual purpose.

One outcome of that was a car that didn’t so much shave weight as take an axe to it. A car clothed in carbon panels that was 116kg or 8% lighter than its showroom sibling. A showcase for Lotus ride and handling expertise, developed in partnership with Ohlins and motorsport gurus MGR. Aerodynamic features that give more downforce than a 1970s Lotus F1 car. And not just at the 190mph top speed but also useable downforce at fast road speeds.

Only 58 cars were built. Just 23 are in the UK. Most are long-term keepers and those that come up for sale usually change hands without being advertised. The majority were registered in 2018-19, built to each customer’s individual specification. Just one was registered in 2020, the last car, commissioned not to a customer spec but by Lotus Head of UK Sales Scott Walker. The only one in a special pearlescent paint.

Unicorns do exist.

I'm very excited to welcome to the garage, the last car to be registered and the only Liquid Yellow Evora GT430 in the world.

View attachment 23400
View attachment 23404
View attachment 23402View attachment 23403
Fascinating history and awesome car - congratulations Tom & ENJOY!!

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Congrats Tom.
I look forward to popping over and dribbling all over it.

Absolutely a stunner and even I would prefer this to my beloved Emira (y)

Are you putting touring suspension on it? 😝

AndySXV

Reaction score
Now that's a proper Lotus. It's gorgeous, and the absolute pinnacle of what a Lotus car will ever be. Massive congratulations!

Don't ever replace that with an Emira. You would regret it for the rest of your life.
That’s what I am looking to do with My GT430. I’ll let you know about the regrets😂

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Congrats TomE! I guess with the unicorn in the stable, I suppose you’ll not be wanting the Emira? 😂
I’m keeping my Emira deposits in place but deferred until they publish Base Edition info. If they do a GT version that strips out a load of weight and daily driver comforts then I may go that route. Or get a Base and make some changes.

I’ll be keeping the GT430 whatever I decide Emira-wise.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is this the Andy Graham confirmed number? I was always wondering how many GT430s were actually built.
I need to check my source, I think it was Scott Walker and he was a key part of the GT430 programme. Or it came from adding up from a few CoPs. I’ll order my CoP and confirm with Andy.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
1 of 60!?! I assume this cost you a small fortune! lol Worth it though, looks great!
More than an Emira, less than a McLaren so it’s all relative! The rarity and pinnacle of Lotus engineering make it very special.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

It’s a keeper. The Emira, if I go ahead with it, will be as well rather than instead. But I might go in a different direction and am tempted by an Elan.

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m keeping my Emira deposits in place but deferred until they publish Base Edition info. If they do a GT version that strips out a load of weight and daily driver comforts then I may go that route. Or get a Base and make some changes.

I’ll be keeping the GT430 whatever I decide Emira-wise.
When should we expect a GT version of the Emira, based on previous Evora release? A GT Emira I would definitely be very interested in!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Congrats Tom.

🙄😂
It’s got Ohlins TTX set up by Gav Kershaw, Ohlins and MGR so it’s like witchcraft. Plus they’re adjustable, so the road settings are perfect for fast road use and I can tweak them for track days.

You’ll be surprised how different it is to either Emira setup, more direct and responsive yet still nicely compliant on poor surfaces.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When should we expect a GT version of the Emira, based on previous Evora release? A GT Emira I would definitely be very interested in!
Hard to say, as the rumours about the GT started to wither away as the delays on first deliveries got longer. My hunch is early/mid next year for an announcement, once all the FEs are nearly built.

But it depends on whether they do it as a final version of the V6 or a hot version of the i4. This year’s GT4 race car is V6 based and I’d expect quite a lot of carry over from that to a road GT, so let’s see what engine they use for the 2024 GT4 race car.

AndySXV

Reaction score
Congrats Tom.

You can buy my GT430 if you want Ade, or I'll do you deal on your Emira;)