• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

$1149$ Oil change price

To my shock, my car recently was towed from KC to St. Louis for issues related to the car not starting consistently. It keep getting worse and finally throwing a code I shipped it to Holman Lotus. Since it was already there I decided to have the oil flushed. So I asked my service advisor to give me a price quote. To my shock I thought she had put an extra 1 in front of the 1149. I reminded her that this was a Toyota engine not Ferrari, but she clearly stated that she was correct and they charge 300hr.

Has anyone else experienced this price for an oil change?? How would it take 3 hours to perform an oil change? Considering I live in KC and the dealership is 3hrs away I have no intention to take it back there for the yearly scheduled service with 300hr. Will it effect my warranty if I do my oil changes myself.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Those people are smoking crack. I've seen oil changes on actual Lambos and Ferraris quoted for less than half that.

Where is she coming up with the 3.5 hours? I'd ask her to explicitly document the source of the quoted labor time. They might be taking the actual labor guide time and applying a multiplier, which in my opinion is unethical.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To my shock, my car recently was towed from KC to St. Louis for issues related to the car not starting consistently. It keep getting worse and finally throwing a code I shipped it to Holman Lotus. Since it was already there I decided to have the oil flushed. So I asked my service advisor to give me a price quote. To my shock I thought she had put an extra 1 in front of the 1149. I reminded her that this was a Toyota engine not Ferrari, but she clearly stated that she was correct and they charge 300hr.

Has anyone else experienced this price for an oil change?? How would it take 3 hours to perform an oil change? Considering I live in KC and the dealership is 3hrs away I have no intention to take it back there for the yearly scheduled service with 300hr. Will it effect my warranty if I do my oil changes myself.
Holman is the dealer I purchased from. That price is crazy. That being said, I'm in Kansas City and plan on having BOEFAB do all the maintenance on the Emira.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I specifically asked this question when I took delivery of my Emira, since I've done all of the scheduled maintenance on my Elise for 16 years. Just keep all of your receipts in the event of a warranty issue down the road. The 2nd gear synchro went out on my Elise and they rebuilt the transmission under warranty, no questions about service history.

You can ABSOLUTELY change the oil yourself. Buy some Rhino Ramps, a full set of socket wrenches, oil filter removal tool, oil filler tool, 6 quarts of oil, filter kit, and you'll STILL be $800 ahead.

$1,149 is grand larceny.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds unreal. When I was in the states, I remember paying $400 for an oil change on my Merc SL55 or $60-ish on my Nissan 350Z (NJ).

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oil change is not cheap at Lotus dealers for Emira. I bet we don’t find an oil service at a Lotus dealer under $300. My friend in Austin said you get hosed on Oil services at the Lotus dealer. I Agree it’s absolutely insane, this a Toyota Camry motor with a supercharger on top, not a Lamborghini V10 with a dry sump system with multiple drain points. Would be curious when the AMG 4 hits the streets what the asking price will be for oil service, O it’s an AMG that will be $2,200? Crazy BS Dealers

Last edited:

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Back in 2021 when I preordered the Emira, my dealer was charging around $250 for an oil change on Evoras

Fasttoys

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Back in 2021 when I preordered the Emira, my dealer was charging around $250 for an oil change on Evoras
In 2021 everything was cheaper even Oil. Look at the price of Eggs and cars; we thought the Emira in 2021 would have been less than it is today. I bet it's over 300 now.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In 2021 everything was cheaper even Oil. Look at the price of Eggs and cars; we thought the Emira in 2021 would have been less than it is today. I bet it's over 300 now.
Right, that's why I mentioned the year. It's the only reference I have, though

azlambo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Do it yourself. About $70.

Attachments

• Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 1.jpeg
    Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 1.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 2.jpeg
    Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 2.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 3.jpeg
    Lotus Emira Oil Change Procedure 3.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 58

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Holman Motorcars is the same dealer that was charging $10K over on their Emiras. They're f'in crooks, avoid.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For $1,149 you could literally make a reservation and have a nice dinner for two at the MOST EXPENSIVE restaurant in the entire St. Louis area, called Stone Soup Cottage, where it's about $250 a plate (pris fixe) for a James Beard award winning meal, and after tax and tip you'd still have OVER $500 LEFT to get a VERY EXPENSIVE oil change with white glove service from literally any exotic car specialty shop on the planet.

Stone Soup (Le Champ de Fleurs) is literally 20 minutes from Holman Motorcars, by the way. You should ask them if a meal there is included in the oil change price, and if you should make the reservation or if they will.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I called Holman today since I purchased my car there. I asked how much the 1year/10K mile dealer require service would cost and they it was about $1200 (stating that they were not positive as they have not performed any at this time, but that this is a rough estimate.)
When I asked how much just an oil change would be they asked a question that I was surprised mattered. They asked if you wanted the oil change to include updating the cars oil change tracking, or just change the oil. They then said that to have it changed and to update the car to reflect that was $800. They didn't quote me what the cost of just changing the oil would be on it's own.

Still painfully expensive and I'm not sure why updating the car matters.

I'm just curious if the price quoted by the OP was accidently the quote for the 1st year service/10K mile oil change.

Anyone else call other dealers and get estimates on what the cost of the 1 year dealer required service would cost?

Also, I'm not sure what else is involved in the 1 year dealer required service besides requiring the oil change.