Would you road-trip an Emira across USA and back? (dealer network worry)

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For example is the 12 hour ride (flatbed) between the Dallas dealer and the Denver dealer a scary proposition?
We visit Son 1 in LA every summer and enjoy a month on the road.
Pittsburgh to Glenview 8 hours
Seattle to San Fran 13 hours
Dallas to Charlotte 15 hours
We live in DE GOAT 1 hour from our local dealer
AMG 4 base

There are 2,903 Chevrolet locations in the United States as of August 08, 2022.

PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 189 dealers.

Last edited:

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Assuming these things don't land with shoddy build quality and unexpected gremlins, you should drive it anywhere with no worries. It's a tried and true Toyota drive train. I'd wait to go cross country until after you've had the first 1000 mile (or whatever interval they will go with) new car service, though.

I know guys with '60's and '70's Elans and Europas who will be driving their cars hundreds of miles one way to go to next months Lotus Owners Gathering in WVA.

I made the Annapolis, MD to Buffalo, NY drive several times in both Elise and Exige, about 8+ hours each way, with nary a hiccup or concern.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking, the distance between you and a dealer or driving the Emira on long road trips in general?

Personally, I am also planning for long 12-14 hour road trips with the Emira, but I won't do that until it has had a few thousand miles so that I develop a level of confidence with its reliability. I have had cars that I loved but will not drive more than 200 miles away from home with.

The distance to dealer decision is a very personal one. My own dealer is going to be 3-4 hours away, not ideal.

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Assuming these things don't land with shoddy build quality and unexpected gremlins, you should drive it anywhere with no worries. It's a tried and true Toyota drive train. I'd wait to go cross country until after you've had the first 1000 mile (or whatever interval they will go with) new car service, though.

I know guys with '60's and '70's Elans and Europas who will be driving their cars hundreds of miles one way to go to next months Lotus Owners Gathering in WVA.

I made the Annapolis, MD to Buffalo, NY drive several times in both Elise and Exige, about 8+ hours each way, with nary a hiccup or concern.
I’m the i4

heeltow

Reaction score
If you don't want to get dirty yourself.. there are enough reputable indy shops across the country.

I'm more likely to not let a Lotus "dealer" touch the car unless absolutely necessary. If you have a strong positive opinion about your local dealer then sure, but have a look at the Denver Lotus dealer reviews for reference. To be fair it seems like a ton of negative reviews related to one incident, but there are certainly some others posting negative experiences. I find it hard to believe they have already revamped their dealer network and given the nature of the existing network I find it hard to believe that this will change anytime soon.

If your concern is driving the car cross country reliably or having a breakdown.. I wouldn't sweat it. I would want some solid paint protection though.

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking, the distance between you and a dealer or driving the Emira on long road trips in general?

Personally, I am also planning for long 12-14 hour road trips with the Emira, but I won't do that until it has had a few thousand miles so that I develop a level of confidence with its reliability. I have had cars that I loved but will not drive more than 200 miles away from home with.

The distance to dealer decision is a very personal one. My own dealer is going to be 3-4 hours away, not ideal.
Dealer network broke down in the black hills question, not comfort

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If you don't want to get dirty yourself.. there are enough reputable indy shops across the country.

I'm more likely to not let a Lotus "dealer" touch the car unless absolutely necessary. If you have a strong positive opinion about your local dealer then sure, but have a look at the Denver Lotus dealer reviews for reference. To be fair it seems like a ton of negative reviews related to one incident, but there are certainly some others posting negative experiences. I find it hard to believe they have already revamped their dealer network and given the nature of the existing network I find it hard to believe that this will change anytime soon.

If your concern is driving the car cross country reliably or having a breakdown.. I wouldn't sweat it. I would want some solid paint protection though.
Yup on the PP

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Indy dealer is a great thought but I’ll be on an extended factory warranty. Does Lotus honor Indy guys and warranty?

heeltow

Reaction score
If you break down in the middle of nowhere Lotus warranty will be of no use unless you can get the car to them. I'm sure you already have the highest level AAA package, but if not I highly recommend it for your situation. It may very well not get you to the dealer if you are more than 200 miles out but all the other non car expenditures you'll run into will be covered.

No clue on Lotus accepting Indy guys work for warranty. Highly unlikely, but someone who has actually owned a Lotus would need to chime in. Given the limited network I could see it being possible.

I mentioned the indy for more routine maintenance and hiccups you will run into.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you break down in the middle of nowhere Lotus warranty will be of no use unless you can get the car to them. I'm sure you already have the highest level AAA package, but if not I highly recommend it for your situation. It may very well not get you to the dealer if you are more than 200 miles out but all the other non car expenditures you'll run into will be covered.

No clue on Lotus accepting Indy guys work for warranty. Highly unlikely, but someone who has actually owned a Lotus would need to chime in. Given the limited network I could see it being possible.

I mentioned the indy for more routine maintenance and hiccups you will run into.
It may be a brave new world with Lotus dealers, as Lotus has been exploring more of a Tesla model for its stores. But having owned several Elises and Exiges from new, the Lotus of then wouldn't allow a non Lotus dealership to do any warranty work.

Again this may change, as the lack of a service network is the biggest issue to really getting things rolling again in the state. May be cheaper for them to certify some Indy folks only for service. But no sign they're moving in that direction.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The Indy dealer is a great thought but I’ll be on an extended factory warranty. Does Lotus honor Indy guys and warranty?

In the US, they have to. Car manufacturers generally cannot deny a warranty unless they can show that the work of the independent shop caused the issue.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the US, they have to. Car manufacturers generally cannot deny a warranty unless they can show that the work of the independent shop caused the issue.
I wonder if the question is that if you are going cross country, break down, no Lotus dealer close buy, and work that an indy shop does to get you going would likely not have to be paid for/reimbursed by Lotus IF the problem is a warranty issue.

heeltow

Reaction score
Not true - what you are referring to is general maintenance resulting in warranty work. Warranty repairs/inspection itself generally needs to be done by an authorized facility.. authorized facilities tend to only be dealer network..

heeltow

Reaction score
It may be a brave new world with Lotus dealers, as Lotus has been exploring more of a Tesla model for its stores. But having owned several Elises and Exiges from new, the Lotus of then wouldn't allow a non Lotus dealership to do any warranty work.

Again this may change, as the lack of a service network is the biggest issue to really getting things rolling again in the state. May be cheaper for them to certify some Indy folks only for service. But no sign they're moving in that direction.
Well here is the firm answer then. Warranty items must be done at a Lotus dealer. If that has been the precedent then that isn't going to change.

OP
lion shf

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Will AMG dealers be any help in a pinch? (not talking about warranty approved)

heeltow

Reaction score
For parts that you can cross reference, yes.

Unless Geely has a trick up its sleeve with some arrangement for Mercedes to service Lotus AMG vehicles then defintely not in regards to service.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Will AMG dealers be any help in a pinch? (not talking about warranty approved)
Probably not. When Daimler and Chrysler merged, they created the Chrysler Crossfire. The Crossfire was a rebodied first generation Mercedes SLK. The interior was nearly identical, all the mechanicals: chassis, suspension, trans, engine, brakes all from the Mercedes.

Mercedes dealers wouldn't let you pull the Crossfire into one of their bays for an oil change, let alone any meaningful work, and especially warranty work.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For example is the 12 hour ride (flatbed) between the Dallas dealer and the Denver dealer a scary proposition?
We visit Son 1 in LA every summer and enjoy a month on the road.
Pittsburgh to Glenview 8 hours
Seattle to San Fran 13 hours
Dallas to Charlotte 15 hours
We live in DE GOAT 1 hour from our local dealer
AMG 4 base

There are 2,903 Chevrolet locations in the United States as of August 08, 2022.

PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 189 dealers.

I’ve driven an Exige S240 from Chicago to San Diego on what I later found was 8 year old tires, so I have no problems driving the Emira any distance. I’ll have to. I ordered from Indy but am based on the coasts!

My buddy has taken his Elise from Boston to San Diego and back.

I’ve also road tripped with him and that Elise to Nova Scotia and North Carolina, from Boston.

Through all of it, the only issue that came up was luggage space.

Emira is ultimately an evolution of a car they’ve been building since 2009. No new rocket science here, and it’s a bulletproof drivetrain at their heart. I would expect these cars to be well sorted.