Here in Cali, aside from the some luxury and exotic dealerships, most stores drill the holes in bumpers for the front plate because they are required in CA, however rarely enforced. This is part of PDI (pre-delivery inspection).
There is absolutely no way I would allow anyone to drill holes in a brand new bumper, especially on an expensive vehicles. Therefore I always say, once my car comes in, DO NOT put on the front plate. Dealerships like Galpin won't put on front plates until they ask the customer.
As crappy as CA policies and politics are, at least we're lucky enough to not get ticketed for no front plate, because of enforcement or lack thereof. In 30 years of driving here, I've received a fix it ticket for no front plate only twice. If I had to run a front plate, it would be the last straw in terms of moving out of this state. LOL
Sorry to hear for alot of you guys, especially oversees. That sucks because front plates, IMO, wreck the car's front end beauty.