• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Will you use a front plate or hope you don't get pulled over??

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So I wonder how many Emira owners in the UK will use smaller front plates?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In the UK you can legally run a plate with less than the standard 7 characters trimmed down to the minimum allowable perimeter spacing. That's probably what I'll do for the front as I've got 5 characters.

I also know people running 75% sized characters with legal minimum perimeter and they've not been stopped.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In the UK you can legally run a plate with less than the standard 7 characters trimmed down to the minimum allowable perimeter spacing. That's probably what I'll do for the front as I've got 5 characters.

I also know people running 75% sized characters with legal minimum perimeter and they've not been stopped.
what a rebel, good luck with that

thenextchapter

Reaction score

Hi Tom
Can I ask what you plan to do re the No plate mounting. I assume Lotus will only supply the standard back plate?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They're supplying the mount, which I gather is in two parts. The first part is a plinth that attaches to the car (probably screwed on - boo!) and then a number plate holder attaches to the plinth. I can't get a decent picture of that or technical info from Lotus to understand if it'll cope with a shorter plate.

I'll wait until delivery and if it can't handle a short plate I'll either modify the plate holder or get something made up that attaches to the plinth in the same way.

The problem I had with my Evora was the standard Lotus number plate plinth was a single piece screwed to the lower lip and the plate screwed directly to it. Unfortunately it was wider than a cut down 5-character plate and the mounting screws were at the outer edges, making it hard to cut down. So I kept a standard sized front plate. Other people came up with different arrangements.

thenextchapter

Reaction score
They're supplying the mount, which I gather is in two parts. The first part is a plinth that attaches to the car (probably screwed on - boo!) and then a number plate holder attaches to the plinth. I can't get a decent picture of that or technical info from Lotus to understand if it'll cope with a shorter plate.

I'll wait until delivery and if it can't handle a short plate I'll either modify the plate holder or get something made up that attaches to the plinth in the same way.

The problem I had with my Evora was the standard Lotus number plate plinth was a single piece screwed to the lower lip and the plate screwed directly to it. Unfortunately it was wider than a cut down 5-character plate and the mounting screws were at the outer edges, making it hard to cut down. So I kept a standard sized front plate. Other people came up with different arrangements.
Thanks Tom👍

g_l9wco

Reaction score
I've never run a front plate on my 79 Rocco and touchwood never been pulled.
Problem is all cars will come with plinth for the plate which has four holes drilled into the bumper, which can't be cancelled whilst in build according to Nigel my factory tour guide.
IMG_20210606_133838_374.jpg

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I saw some pictures from the Australian launch which looked like it had the same bracket as the UK cars which haven't had plates put on yet.

Then at the reveals they had Australian plates on which are a lot shorter than ours (372mm - roughly the size of a 6 char plate), so I'm hoping that bracket is the same and we will have the ability to put a smaller plate on (I'm 6 char so may be perfect).

Another note, I think the car looked a lot better with the smaller Australian plate, not sure what it'll look like for the UK short plates though

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw some pictures from the Australian launch which looked like it had the same bracket as the UK cars which haven't had plates put on yet.

Then at the reveals they had Australian plates on which are a lot shorter than ours (372mm - roughly the size of a 6 char plate), so I'm hoping that bracket is the same and we will have the ability to put a smaller plate on (I'm 6 char so may be perfect).

Another note, I think the car looked a lot better with the smaller Australian plate, not sure what it'll look like for the UK short plates though
The bracket is the same across all cars, but there is a metal adapter plate that screws into this bracket. This adapter is region specific, enabling different sized plates and mounting points to be used worldwide.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The bracket is the same across all cars, but there is a metal adapter plate that screws into this bracket. This adapter is region specific, enabling different sized plates and mounting points to be used worldwide.
Looking back, you might be right, they might have changed the metal plate between offloading and putting the Australian plate on, in which case, hopefully the lotus spare parts store will sell us other regional plates in the UK as well