• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Will you use a front plate or hope you don't get pulled over??

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think police in the UK have very lenient attitude towards not showing a front plate (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), and the fines are up to £1000... as much as it galls me to spoil the look of that front end, I can't see myself having the balls to go "naked" :(. Putting it in the dash just feels dumb (looks awful and still doesn't satisfy Mr Plod)

Sadly, I don't think there is such a thing as a "low profile" plate here (the absolute minimum based on the specs is 101mm - 79mm characters and 11mm margin top and bottom), and your options for colour on the front are white, white, or white (you can't even try to disguise it against the grille with white/silver lettering on a black plate any more). Sigh.

The wide and short license plates you all have over there look MUCH better on the car than the the US version where the proportions are ugly.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Couldn’t we just not bother with plates? If a copper tries to pull us over, then we could simply outrun 90% of British police cars 🏎

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They're on to that already and have a not-so-secret weapon... :)

0_lotus1.jpg

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
the plates on my current car, an Audi TTS, are from Fourdot (https://www.fourdotdesignerplates.co.uk/cars). They’re road legal, in the UK at least, and help you to blend the plate in with the car with the designs and options they have. I was thinking I’d get one made when I pick up my Emira.
That is badass, but totally not allowed in the states. You can only use the ones stamped by the state themselves.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
That is badass, but totally not allowed in the states. You can only use the ones stamped by the state themselves.
I’m going to get a Euro/UK plate set and run them in the US. I’ll see how long I can go with them. Identical to my US Registration but just the UK look. Wish me luck! :)

Oh and this will be in 2023 hahaha

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So, I emailed my dealer yesterday to ask if he would be drilling and mounting a front plate to the new car when it arrives, or if I have the option to not do that so that I can do my own setup that is removable for show and doesn't put holes in the front of the bumper. Below was his response:

"Unless it’s mounted at the factory we do not ever attach a front plate. Since I have been a dealer not one customer has been stopped for not having a front plate."

So, that is great news for me!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I don't think police in the UK have very lenient attitude towards not showing a front plate (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), and the fines are up to £1000... as much as it galls me to spoil the look of that front end, I can't see myself having the balls to go "naked" :(. Putting it in the dash just feels dumb (looks awful and still doesn't satisfy Mr Plod)

Sadly, I don't think there is such a thing as a "low profile" plate here (the absolute minimum based on the specs is 101mm - 79mm characters and 11mm margin top and bottom), and your options for colour on the front are white, white, or white (you can't even try to disguise it against the grille with white/silver lettering on a black plate any more). Sigh.
I had an Ariel Nomad in the UK and then Spain; I did not put a front plate on until Spanish police mentioned it...
Ariel, ie manufacturer, albeit small scale, say they generally dont fit them and its not a big issue, or at best a sticker on the "bonnet"
but no, a regular car and I would not risk it, for speed camera avoidance and the like, its not nice....

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I live in Georgia, which doesn't require a front plate. In fact, new cars aren't even sold with front plate brackets here.

When you register your car here for the first time, you only get ONE plate, not two.

I love it.
I used to live in Duluth, Gwinette, somewhere around there......had one of the first mercedes SLK's there.... got a bit of attention from the pickup drivers, fell in love with a girl named Jessica and the rest is history, no, not with her... just history..... Was in the US for 2.5 years....... memories... 25 years ago now. I dont mind saying I never want to go to the CocaCola museum again.. haha

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I used to live in Duluth, Gwinette, somewhere around there......had one of the first mercedes SLK's there.... got a bit of attention from the pickup drivers, fell in love with a girl named Jessica and the rest is history, no, not with her... just history..... Was in the US for 2.5 years....... memories... 25 years ago now. I dont mind saying I never want to go to the CocaCola museum again.. haha
I don't really drink soda, so I don't have interest in a Coca-Cola museum. Lived here for 2+ years now and never went to visit. :ROFLMAO:

The Georgia Aquarium next door is really cool though!

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't really drink soda, so I don't have interest in a Coca-Cola museum. Lived here for 2+ years now and never went to visit. :ROFLMAO:

The Georgia Aquarium next door is really cool though!
am from GA and do miss the place except in the summers ... oh the humidity.

My current state requires front plates (and actually just raised the price from $10 to $50 - what a rip) but I only have it on my truck and SUV. The three fun vehicles not a chance, keep it behind the seat so could put in the windshield and would have a similar story as @TXEMIRA but haven't been pulled over in 20yrs so hopefully I'll never need to use it :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Virginia technically requires front plates but they don't enforce it. It's a place with left leaning politics but right leaning sensibilities.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I plan on plateless. My state requires it, but owell.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
am from GA and do miss the place except in the summers ... oh the humidity.

My current state requires front plates (and actually just raised the price from $10 to $50 - what a rip) but I only have it on my truck and SUV. The three fun vehicles not a chance, keep it behind the seat so could put in the windshield and would have a similar story as @TXEMIRA but haven't been pulled over in 20yrs so hopefully I'll never need to use it :)
Yeah, GA - love no front plate requirements.

Summers - I'm dying right now. Send ice cubes.

r1lee

Reaction score
i got my Lexus LC500 last september. Here in Ontario Canada, its a law to have front and back plates. I decided to take the chance and left the front plate in my trunk, so far no issues. I will eventually be pulled over, but hoping it won't be anytime soon.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I tried it once on my MX-5 when I lived in Melbourne. Lasted about a week before I was pulled over and fined $270.
Yeah, having grown up there, I don't get the feeling that Australian police are very flexible... I still remember leaning on my car getting a ticket written for doing 82km/h in an 80 zone (as a 'P' plater, limited to 80 in those days, just blending with traffic and trying not to obstruct anyone) and watching my parents drive past... that was a fun conversation later that evening.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Couldn’t we just not bother with plates? If a copper tries to pull us over, then we could simply outrun 90% of British police cars 🏎
My local Police uses unmarked BMW 540d Touring…. Try to outrun a car made for tearing up the Autobarn…..