• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What does it do better than supercars?

nickorette

Reaction score
Have many supercars in the stable, the Emira does not look or feel out of place whatsoever.

I think the biggest difference is going to come with the engine, a characterful NA V8, V10 or V12 is quite an emotional experience. However, nowadays everything is downsized, turbocharged and hybrid. Emira certainly sounds and looks better then the 6 cylinder competition from Mclaren, Ferrari and Maserati imo.

I guess you could say it's lacking in power, but on the street you're rarely using anything over 500hp anyways.

The Emira for me, while looking the supercar part, excels in it's feedback, manual gearbox and compact dimensions. It's also nice to not have to worry about being carjacked either

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I took my car to a detail shop yesterday to get a quote on PPF. The lead installer, who was working on a new Z06, and did an MC20 recently, said he wanted an exotic but didn’t necessarily have the budget for one.

He then said, “how much was that, about $200k”?

He looked very surprised when I said “about $107k”.

I buy what I like, and not to impress others, but I’ll admit that his comment made me feel pretty good. There’s a guy that’s around expensive cars all the time and he thought it would be almost twice what I paid.

The car definitely punches above its class.
I had my interior done at our local hand wash and the Polish staff were taking pictures of it, not knowing what it was and thought it was a Ferrari before seeing the Lotus badge. It’s surprising how people who don’t know much about cars love them and instantly think they are really expensive supercars.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had my interior done at our local hand wash and the Polish staff were taking pictures of it, not knowing what it was and thought it was a Ferrari before seeing the Lotus badge. It’s surprising how people who don’t know much about cars love them and instantly think they are really expensive supercars.

There is very little on the road today that is a truly pretty design like the Emira.

There are lots of aggressive and technical looking cars, but most of them have an insect, jet fighter, or race car design language. The Emira is singularly organic without being overwrought.

What makes the Emira pretty are the same design elements that made cars like the Miura, E-type, Dino, and Ghibli pretty.

Good design isn’t embellishments and superfluous strakes, scoops, ducts, and wings.

Perhaps the most Lotus thing about the Emira is the design itself. It has only what it needs to make it a beautiful car.

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
This is a subjective topic so here goes my view:

For decades Lotus was among the legendary sports car brands who, instead of appealing to wealthy audiences like Lambo/Ferrari, etc., targeted hardcore driving enthusiasts. It's partially why it was sold to Geely, as hardcore enthusiasts don't mean huge revenues.

The current approach under Geely ownership in relation to the Emira (excluding EV operations for now) has been fine tuned to strike a balance between being realistic and practical and maintaining its core values...

It shows flamboyance and beauty doesn't have to be paired with obnoxiousness and instead can be combined with a touch of humility.

Over here where supercars are typically 3 times US prices, if you are not born in the right family or not a drug dealer/pro baller, you can say goodbye to any hope of owning a proper supercar. This is where the Emira comes in.

It gives hard working folks an opportunity to access the simple joy of driving a mid-engine machine with superb handling.

It's like a hot girl rated a solid 9 who is willing to go to a baseball game with you and share some laughter over burgers and beer, whom you can actually bring home to meet your parents and share a life together.
winning comment

well said, agree, but my Emira is a 9.5 (lol)

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There is very little on the road today that is a truly pretty design like the Emira.

There are lots of aggressive and technical looking cars, but most of them have an insect, jet fighter, or race car design language. The Emira is singularly organic without being overwrought.

What makes the Emira pretty are the same design elements that made cars like the Miura, E-type, Dino, and Ghibli pretty.

Good design isn’t embellishments and superfluous strakes, scoops, ducts, and wings.

Perhaps the most Lotus thing about the Emira is the design itself. It has only what it needs to make it a beautiful car.
I agree it looks great as it is but also like some of the splitters and GT4 look rear wings. If Lotus sold them I’d fit them in an instance as currently torn on whether to fit anything or not. Certainly a rear wing is a big decision unless you intend to keep the car for a long time.
Hopefully Lotus will make a decision soon.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree it looks great as it is but also like some of the splitters and GT4 look rear wings. If Lotus sold them I’d fit them in an instance as currently torn on whether to fit anything or not. Certainly a rear wing is a big decision unless you intend to keep the car for a long time.
Hopefully Lotus will make a decision soon.

My friend, the temptation to modify is strong. The mind is willing but the body is weak!

I am used to changing, modifying, customizing, and on and on and on.

I’m doing my best to leave this one alone!

….except for the exhaust. And maybe wheel spacers, and make it just a touch lower. ‘Cause even though I thought the stance was perfect then I saw a pic on the internet of one that was a touch lower with wheel spacers and it looked INCREDIBLE! And maybe add another 50 horsepower...

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If we're only talking about the modern era, which only seems fair...

Looking beyond the smaller size and better looks, the Emira instantly wins against any supercar that doesn't have a proper manual transmission.

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
My friend, the temptation to modify is strong. The mind is willing but the body is weak!

I am used to changing, modifying, customizing, and on and on and on.

I’m doing my best to leave this one alone!

….except for the exhaust. And maybe wheel spacers, and make it just a touch lower. ‘Cause even though I thought the stance was perfect then I saw a pic on the internet of one that was a touch lower with wheel spacers and it looked INCREDIBLE! And maybe add another 50 horsepower...
wow, glad you are resisting to modify your Emira with like 4-5 additions

wouldn't want to see you go full tilt on actually modifying it, lol
I am resisting modifying the exhaust or anything until the warranty period is over, but reading all these threads, I might have to do the exhaust...lol (a lot are doing the Miltek valve control)

wondering if everyone buying from this site or another site?

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If we're only talking about the modern era, which only seems fair...

Looking beyond the smaller size and better looks, the Emira instantly wins against any supercar that doesn't have a proper manual transmission.
If Lotus made the manual v6 a limited production run like a “Porsche GT” product the values would be bonkers- like the last remaining gated Lambos and Ferraris. Guys we are SPOILED that this car in todays age is coming with a pretty awesome manual shift where you can see the gear linkage. It’s a huge win.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
wow, glad you are resisting to modify your Emira with like 4-5 additions

wouldn't want to see you go full tilt on actually modifying it, lol
I am resisting modifying the exhaust or anything until the warranty period is over, but reading all these threads, I might have to do the exhaust...lol (a lot are doing the Miltek valve control)

wondering if everyone buying from this site or another site?
3rd cat delete looks pretty attractive. Almost doesn’t feel like a mod but more like it shouldn’t have a 3rd cat to begin with 😎

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
If Lotus made the manual v6 a limited production run like a “Porsche GT” product the values would be bonkers- like the last remaining gated Lambos and Ferraris. Guys we are SPOILED that this car in todays age is coming with a pretty awesome manual shift where you can see the gear linkage. It’s a huge win.
I thought it is limited "version 1", and they plan to release some more, and maybe version 2 next year, but plan all electric so this might end up being a car that is desired in 10 years if they move to electric