What does it do better than supercars?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does the emira do things better than supercars?

Lighter?
More nimble?
Smaller
Handle better?
Better suspension?
More Pure?
More Analog ?

kennyn

Reaction score
The Emira costs less to buy and run, the rest comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with the car. An Ariel Atom would win in all the above categories if it never rained and you had little need for comfort.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say price (initial cost and maintenance) and driver engagement. Not many supercars are offered with a manual transmission or hydraulic steering these days. The Emira also has the supercar looks and one of the most beautiful vehicles made right now.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve never driven a supercar, so I can’t say I know first hand.

My Emira represents the perfect balance of usability, fun, and engagement.

The car is very unique without being “over the top”. A lot of what I consider as supercars are not, to my eye anyway, actually very pretty. They are low, wide, and aggressive, but with lots of wings and scoops and stuff that isn’t that cohesive to an organic design. McLarens, for example, remind me of flashy Nike athletic shoes.

When I picked my car up this weekend, I was able to look at a couple of Ferraris as well. I can honestly say I think the Emira is a prettier car than either of them. I understand that from a performance and technology standpoint, they are a million miles ahead. But I’m not going to ever drive 200 mph on the street. And I could not care less about how many g’s a car can generate. It comes down to how the car makes me feel.

There is something very pure about the Emira. It is simple and distilled sportscar.

I actually parked next to a brand new C8 ZO6 today. Those are fantastic cars. But to my eye, the Emira wins hands down every time.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve never driven a supercar, so I can’t say I know first hand.

My Emira represents the perfect balance of usability, fun, and engagement.

The car is very unique without being “over the top”. A lot of what I consider as supercars are not, to my eye anyway, actually very pretty. They are low, wide, and aggressive, but with lots of wings and scoops and stuff that isn’t that cohesive to an organic design. McLarens, for example, remind me of flashy Nike athletic shoes.

When I picked my car up this weekend, I was able to look at a couple of Ferraris as well. I can honestly say I think the Emira is a prettier car than either of them. I understand that from a performance and technology standpoint, they are a million miles ahead. But I’m not going to ever drive 200 mph on the street. And I could not care less about how many g’s a car can generate. It comes down to how the car makes me feel.

There is something very pure about the Emira. It is simple and distilled sportscar.

I actually parked next to a brand new C8 ZO6 today. Those are fantastic cars. But to my eye, the Emira wins hands down every time.
I agree with you completely.

I love porsche 911s, but find modern 911's too big, but asthetically they're very pretty to me: Nice and understated while maintaining an element of badass.

I also like ferraris, but the ferraris at the dealership looked HUGE.. The superfast was in there and and it looked like a big red dick with a bunch of over-the-top shit on it.

I agree the Emira one of the most beautiful cars around. And nicely balanced. Not too outlandish.

I agree with you on McLarens. They're not pretty cars.

The Huracan, in black, is pretty cool looking... but a bit too over the top.

I do kind of like the Ferrari Roma.

Anyway, to summarize:

I was thinking all your same thoughts at my dealership while looking at the other cars: they're far too huge and over the top

.. but then I'd glance at the Emiras and it would just send a response to my brain like seeing stunning hot babe in a bar.

Last edited:

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For me, the last pretty Ferrari was the F355. I would have very seriously considered one of those if (1) time market for those hadn’t gone crazy in the last 5 years and (2) the required maintenance was less silly. Engine out service at less than 15k miles? No thank you.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just more reasonable to daily drive and definitely more analogue - as in they don't make them like this anymore.

I love the looks of the Emira, but I still have a soft spot for Ferrari design. While I agree the older designs were quintessential - their new stuff still looks plenty sexy to me. Always felt Italian in that even though some of the design cues are functional, it IS actually for style. Ferraris are more about design to me than all out performance.

Always thought McLarens looked like aliens though my son likes them. And lambos are awesome for channeling your inner bruce Wayne.

allenyao09

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would imagine it's easier to live with than a super car. Relatively inexpensive to own, good visibility and practical to use on an everyday basis. And it offers a manual that you won't find in any modern supercars.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also like ferraris, but the ferraris at the dealership looked HUGE.. The superfast was in there and and it looked like a big red dick with a bunch of over-the-top shit on it.
Ferrari has been changing their designs to appeal to specific target markets. That one is super popular in the Middle East from what I understand.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does the emira do things better than supercars?

Lighter?
More nimble?
Smaller
Handle better?
Better suspension?
More Pure?
More Analog ?
Mainly it’s cheaper and does all the supercar stuff almost as good as a “real” supercar. Personally, whilst we could stretch to the price of “real” supercar if we really wanted to, but then I’d be scared to use it or park it anywhere, and frankly 2, 3, 4* the price of an Emira is too much to spend on a weekend toy for me personally.

The Emira looks just as good as a supercar IMPO and does all the driving stuff well enough to keep me happy.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think that overtime a lot of purity of design has been lost in the automotive world.

The Emira is elegant in the same way that a Miura or Dino is. Unadorned design.

Many of the newer super cars remind me of later year Countaches. Lots of strakes and louvers and wings that do nothing but distract from the design.

Don’t get me wrong, the 6 year old in me still wants a crazy Countach…

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I fell in love with Lotus after my wife and I rented a 2020 Evora GT during an anniversary trip. I resolved to get one after that trip. When Lotus announced the Emira, it was like an opportunity to get an Evora in an even better looking package.

That trip turned out to be very expensive!

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is a subjective topic so here goes my view:

For decades Lotus was among the legendary sports car brands who, instead of appealing to wealthy audiences like Lambo/Ferrari, etc., targeted hardcore driving enthusiasts. It's partially why it was sold to Geely, as hardcore enthusiasts don't mean huge revenues.

The current approach under Geely ownership in relation to the Emira (excluding EV operations for now) has been fine tuned to strike a balance between being realistic and practical and maintaining its core values...

It shows flamboyance and beauty doesn't have to be paired with obnoxiousness and instead can be combined with a touch of humility.

Over here where supercars are typically 3 times US prices, if you are not born in the right family or not a drug dealer/pro baller, you can say goodbye to any hope of owning a proper supercar. This is where the Emira comes in.

It gives hard working folks an opportunity to access the simple joy of driving a mid-engine machine with superb handling.

It's like a hot girl rated a solid 9 who is willing to go to a baseball game with you and share some laughter over burgers and beer, whom you can actually bring home to meet your parents and share a life together.

Last edited:

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira is simply one of the most beautiful cars ever built - Firmly in my personal top 10 of all time, and the singular most beautiful car for sale today. That plus the fact the Lotus brand is Iconic, is enough for me. (I am expecting the driving dynamics to be sublime, but only having had a 30 minute test drive, I cannot state empirically just yet).

Last edited:

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I took my car to a detail shop yesterday to get a quote on PPF. The lead installer, who was working on a new Z06, and did an MC20 recently, said he wanted an exotic but didn’t necessarily have the budget for one.

He then said, “how much was that, about $200k”?

He looked very surprised when I said “about $107k”.

I buy what I like, and not to impress others, but I’ll admit that his comment made me feel pretty good. There’s a guy that’s around expensive cars all the time and he thought it would be almost twice what I paid.

The car definitely punches above its class.