• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Went to the Dallas Lotus Dealership on Saturday to put a deposit down on a verdant spec. They had some that owners had dropped out of the deposit. Got to go on a test drive and wow this car is a BLAST. Can't wait for mine to come in. Tony told me its about a 12-14 month wait but they said things are now moving faster due to everything picking up faster. Now to get someone to teach me to drive a manual lol
View attachment 41203
View attachment 41204
View attachment 41202

One thing to keep in mind when learning stick… don’t keep your hand on the shift knob (like the guy in the vid) when you get more proficient. Shift, then hand back on the steering wheel. This knob is inches away from the wheel, so lightning fast shifts are still possible.

Controlling the car is more important than convenient shifting, and learning to keep your hand on the shift knob is a bad habit imo.

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree on the Emira shift feel to be better then the 718 Spyder, especially after the short shifter kit. Especially the clutch/shift sequencing is smoother/more intuitive compared to the Spyder box…..

do any of the tech expert here know what causes that low speed noise from the gear box on the emira when you drive of slowly in 1st gear. On the test drive I first thought something was wrong, but every manual I have driven does it……..and my SA said as well, it was normal, all of them were like that…..
Shift feel is definitely subjective. And I agree with you that the Emira's shifter is better than the manual gearbox on the GT4/Spyder (IMHO). I think it is on par with my 992 gt3 mt, but I don't have my emira yet. A full-on comparison is due on the Emira Journal subforum.
Regarding the god of mt, the Honda s2000, I just cannot agree with it. I think the shifter on the S2000 is mediocre at best. Stock S2000 is super underwhelming. To make it shine, you need at least tens of thousands usd worth of mods.
*** Just my opinion, S2000 fans take it easy🤪

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Shift feel is definitely subjective. And I agree with you that the Emira's shifter is better than the manual gearbox on the GT4/Spyder (IMHO). I think it is on par with my 992 gt3 mt, but I don't have my emira yet. A full-on comparison is due on the Emira Journal subforum.
Regarding the god of mt, the Honda s2000, I just cannot agree with it. I think the shifter on the S2000 is mediocre at best. Stock S2000 is super underwhelming. To make it shine, you need at least tens of thousands usd worth of mods.

Having shifted both the Emira and S2000 now -- ain't no way man -- the Emira is clunky and vague in comparison.

RichiEmira

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That stings a little bit. The first 10 minutes in my stock AP1 S2000 always takes some patience. Until the gearbox is warmed up, the shifts are a bit clunky. But after 10 minutes… it’s like a hot knife through butter and a wonderful car to row through the gears. I can see underwhelming between 3-5k rpm, but between 6-9k not so much. The car wants to see those higher rev limits (and she deserves to).

As for comparing to my Emira... sadly that is still only happening in my dreams. The last couple of weeks have been torture as we wait for the final stage of delivery to the dealer. More to report on the comparison once I’ve driven the Emira a few hundred miles.

driv300mph

Reaction score
Having shifted both the Emira and S2000 now -- ain't no way man -- the Emira is clunky and vague in comparison.

I drove three S2K's over a total of 15 years and the shifter in them is excellent. Despite being a little too notchy going into first gear, I actually prefer the shifting action in the Emira.

Rhinocerosity

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sometimes I feel very blessed that my primary experience with manual cars is in a C5 Z06. That shifter felt like I was dragging it through a bag of spoons half the time, and sometimes just decided it wasn't going into gear until I went back into neutral and pumped the clutch. Compared to that, every manual I've driven since has felt amazing.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My Nimbus is waiting for ppf at the dealer. I still have never seen an Emira in person. Oh, the anticipation....

damn idk how you can stand not seeing one. you could go visit the dealer and see one right now. I know I did the day they arrived in North America sometime in January

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
damn idk how you can stand not seeing one. you could go visit the dealer and see one right now. I know I did the day they arrived in North America sometime in January
I also have not seen an Emira in person. I have been avoiding it.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One thing to keep in mind when learning stick… don’t keep your hand on the shift knob (like the guy in the vid) when you get more proficient. Shift, then hand back on the steering wheel. This knob is inches away from the wheel, so lightning fast shifts are still possible.

Controlling the car is more important than convenient shifting, and learning to keep your hand on the shift knob is a bad habit imo.
Personally, I disagree with the "never rest your hand on the shift knob" rule, just like I disagree with the "always keep your hands at 10 and 2" rule, or the "don't put your elbows on the table while you're eating" rule. Those have all seemed completely arbitrary, bordering on superstitious, with no perceivable downsides or consequences for doing it.

I say, put your hands wherever it's most comfortable, and you're probably fine. I've been driving stick for 11 years, and sometimes I rest my hand on the knob, sometimes not. Sometimes I have one hand on the wheel at 12 o'clock, and other times I have both hands at 9 and 3. Do whatever is best for you, I say.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Personally, I disagree with the "never rest your hand on the shift knob" rule, just like I disagree with the "always keep your hands at 10 and 2" rule, or the "don't put your elbows on the table while you're eating" rule. Those have all seemed completely arbitrary, bordering on superstitious, with no perceivable downsides or consequences for doing it.

I say, put your hands wherever it's most comfortable, and you're probably fine. I've been driving stick for 11 years, and sometimes I rest my hand on the knob, sometimes not. Sometimes I have one hand on the wheel at 12 o'clock, and other times I have both hands at 9 and 3. Do whatever is best for you, I say.
I was taught that with most manual shifter designs, unintended and prolonged preload on the shift lever can induce wear on the forks/syncros/bushings and whatnot. I'll see if I can dig up a specific examply. So, "rest easy" and just don't load the shifter while it's in gear.

Drambeenie

Reaction score

I was going to cancel my deposit until I got an invite for a test drive. Saw it in person, was floored, and it fit like a glove while driving. So glad I did that

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Opinions can vary… but I’d rather have both hands on the wheel as much as possible through the lateral Gs on canyon drives so the car stays on the pavement… whether I’m the driver or the passenger. That’s not arbitrary to me, that’s common sense, and I’d teach that to anyone learning under me. Place your hands wherever you want on the wheel as long as you have BOTH of them on there when not actively shifting. Either that or let me out of the car if you’re driving 😆

We’re talking about driving a stick in a performance car here, not a Nissan Versa.

To stay on topic, my wife was told she’d have her allocation within 30 days (Las Vegas Auto Gallery). Seeing Denver and others getting their deliveries is a great sign.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was going to cancel my deposit until I got an invite for a test drive. Saw it in person, was floored, and it fit like a glove while driving. So glad I did that

Right, it all depends on your level of commitment. For me, as soon as I saw the photos and videos of the car back in summer of 2021, I knew it was it. Everything fit perfectly with what I wanted at that juncture in life. I've been frustrated through these years but never to the point of seriously considering canceling the order. October of 2023 may have been the worst time for me, when there was zero info on emissions or dependable production plans for the US after over 2 years of waiting. But then, a string of developments occurred, and here we are.

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

It was smaller than I expected, even though I knew the dimensions beforehand. It’s a very impressive car to be sure. I didn’t wring it out on the drive since it was busy city streets, but my wife did and she was grinning ear to ear after.

The wait will be worth it if you’ve never seen or driven one. For all the delivery delays, QC issues, underwhelming customer service… I can readily admit it’s a special car despite all of that.

410 JPS Fan

Reaction score
Spotted at Auto Europe, Detroit Michigan
1000004624.jpg
1000004629.jpg
1000004630.jpg

Vampyre

Reaction score
I have not seen a Emira in person, I want the first one to be mine, which should be next week
but it was the same for my Elise back in 2006, never saw one or test drove and the same for my Evora GT I have now, also the same for my C8 HTC, never test drove or sat in one, just factory ordered and drove away. This is also my 3rd Corvette.