• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK test drive booking process

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
email going out this coming monday apparently...first test drives should be available from wednesday
following up...just had this email from Caffyns today...

Hi,

As you can see from the title of my email – the news I’ve been waiting for has finally come through! Our Lotus Emira demonstrator has arrived!

!We have had a V6 Manual First Edition with the Tour suspension arrive! We will not be getting another car until this one has reached 7,000 miles or 6 months old!

Now I wanted to send this email out to you to explain what happens next, as I know you are super excited to come and see and experience this awesome new Lotus!

This is how test drives will be dealt with – PLEASE ENSURE YOU READ THROUGH THIS FULLY AS I CAN’T STRESS THE BELOW ENOUGH

Due to these vehicles being centrally owned by Lotus themselves and not us here at Caffyns, we have to do things slightly differently when it comes to test drives!

IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A DEPOSIT DOWN ON AN EMIRA, LOTUS THEMSELVES WILL BE REACHING OUT TO YOU PERSONALLY VIA EMAIL TO BOOK A VIEWING/TEST DRIVE ON THE EMIRA.

IF YOU DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE A DEPOSIT DOWN ON AN EMIRA, I WILL BE REACHING OUT TO YOU TO ORGANISE A VIEWING/TEST DRIVE IN DUE COURSE (PLEASE DO NOT CALL IN TO BOOK AS I CANNOT GUARANTEE I WILL BE AVAILABLE – I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONTACTED AND HAVE EVERYTHING IN PLACE TO DO THAT).

DEPOSIT HOLDERS WILL BE TEST DRIVING THE EMIRA FIRST – DEPOSIT HOLDERS ONLY UNTIL WEEK BEGINNING THE 14TH NOVEMBER. UNTIL THE 14TH I CAN ONLY TEST DRIVE DEPOSIT-HOLDING CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE A LOTUS-BOOKED TEST DRIVE, REGARDLESS OF DEPOSIT OR NOT; NO WALK-INS CAN BE TENDERED TO. YOU ARE OF COURSE WELCOME TO COME IN AND SEE THE CAR PRIOR TO YOUR BOOKED TIME SLOT.

ONCE THE ‘PRE-BOOKED’ TEST DRIVE TIME SLOT EXPIRES – THIS IS BETWEEN 31ST OCTOBER AND 14TH NOVEMBER - I PLAN TO SEND OUT A BLANKET EMAIL TO EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT ALREADY DRIVEN THE CAR, SO THAT YOU CAN BOOK IN FOR A TEST DRIVE.

IF YOU ARE NOT BOOKED IN FOR A TEST DRIVE, GIVEN THE VOLUME OF CUSTOMERS I WILL BE SEEING, I CANNOT TEND TO WALK-IN TEST DRIVES ON THE EMIRA - ALL TEST DRIVES MUST BE PRE-BOOKED!

TEST DRIVES ARE ON SPECIFIC DAYS AS PER LOTUS’ SCHEDULE AND NO SUNDAY APPOINTMENTS AT PRESENT – THIS IS DUE TO ONLY HAVING ONE OF US ON SITE ON A SUNDAY, AND ALL EMIRA DRIVES NEED TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY A MEMBER OF LOTUS STAFF

Hopefully this helps to explain how the test drives will work – it is only fair that the deposit holders on the Emira get to have the first go in the car, then as soon as we can get everyone else in we will do!

I HAVE A LIST SPANNING NEARLY 300 PEOPLE WHO HAVE ENQUIRED ON THIS AWESOME LOTUS – PLEASE BARE WITH ME AS I AM MANAGING THIS LIST MOSTLY BY MYSELF!

Just a reminder on our test drive rules for the Emira:

All test drives will have to be logged on Lotus’ Scorpion Tracker system, so I will be pre-booking test drives to allow enough time to ensure all drives are logged correctly and insured.

All our demo vehicles will be equipped and tightly monitored with Scorpion trackers, and we will have pre-determined test drive routes, with a few options available with an approx. drive time of around 30/45 minutes per test drive, with a 50/50 mix of A-Road and B-Road/town driving (depending on your route choice) to try to give you the best idea of what the car can do! Of course, it goes without saying that whilst on the road everybody who test drives the Emira will be obliged to remain obedient to the road laws and speed limits!

All test drives will be accompanied, this is for insurance purposes and to ensure the vehicle stays to the pre-determined route – to save any confusion with the tracker system and alerts! If partners/other people would like to have a go in the Emira then please let me know at point of booking so I can allow for a 2nd test drive or allow for me to take them out as a passenger!

This is a super exciting time for us here at Lotus Sussex – and we can’t wait to help you on your journey towards owning a piece of Lotus future!

As usual, any questions that you have, please don’t hesitate to ask – I’m always an email away!

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
following up...just had this email from Caffyns today...

Hi,

As you can see from the title of my email – the news I’ve been waiting for has finally come through! Our Lotus Emira demonstrator has arrived!

!We have had a V6 Manual First Edition with the Tour suspension arrive! We will not be getting another car until this one has reached 7,000 miles or 6 months old!

Now I wanted to send this email out to you to explain what happens next, as I know you are super excited to come and see and experience this awesome new Lotus!

This is how test drives will be dealt with – PLEASE ENSURE YOU READ THROUGH THIS FULLY AS I CAN’T STRESS THE BELOW ENOUGH

Due to these vehicles being centrally owned by Lotus themselves and not us here at Caffyns, we have to do things slightly differently when it comes to test drives!

IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A DEPOSIT DOWN ON AN EMIRA, LOTUS THEMSELVES WILL BE REACHING OUT TO YOU PERSONALLY VIA EMAIL TO BOOK A VIEWING/TEST DRIVE ON THE EMIRA.

IF YOU DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE A DEPOSIT DOWN ON AN EMIRA, I WILL BE REACHING OUT TO YOU TO ORGANISE A VIEWING/TEST DRIVE IN DUE COURSE (PLEASE DO NOT CALL IN TO BOOK AS I CANNOT GUARANTEE I WILL BE AVAILABLE – I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONTACTED AND HAVE EVERYTHING IN PLACE TO DO THAT).

DEPOSIT HOLDERS WILL BE TEST DRIVING THE EMIRA FIRST – DEPOSIT HOLDERS ONLY UNTIL WEEK BEGINNING THE 14TH NOVEMBER. UNTIL THE 14TH I CAN ONLY TEST DRIVE DEPOSIT-HOLDING CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE A LOTUS-BOOKED TEST DRIVE, REGARDLESS OF DEPOSIT OR NOT; NO WALK-INS CAN BE TENDERED TO. YOU ARE OF COURSE WELCOME TO COME IN AND SEE THE CAR PRIOR TO YOUR BOOKED TIME SLOT.

ONCE THE ‘PRE-BOOKED’ TEST DRIVE TIME SLOT EXPIRES – THIS IS BETWEEN 31ST OCTOBER AND 14TH NOVEMBER - I PLAN TO SEND OUT A BLANKET EMAIL TO EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT ALREADY DRIVEN THE CAR, SO THAT YOU CAN BOOK IN FOR A TEST DRIVE.

IF YOU ARE NOT BOOKED IN FOR A TEST DRIVE, GIVEN THE VOLUME OF CUSTOMERS I WILL BE SEEING, I CANNOT TEND TO WALK-IN TEST DRIVES ON THE EMIRA - ALL TEST DRIVES MUST BE PRE-BOOKED!

TEST DRIVES ARE ON SPECIFIC DAYS AS PER LOTUS’ SCHEDULE AND NO SUNDAY APPOINTMENTS AT PRESENT – THIS IS DUE TO ONLY HAVING ONE OF US ON SITE ON A SUNDAY, AND ALL EMIRA DRIVES NEED TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY A MEMBER OF LOTUS STAFF

Hopefully this helps to explain how the test drives will work – it is only fair that the deposit holders on the Emira get to have the first go in the car, then as soon as we can get everyone else in we will do!

I HAVE A LIST SPANNING NEARLY 300 PEOPLE WHO HAVE ENQUIRED ON THIS AWESOME LOTUS – PLEASE BARE WITH ME AS I AM MANAGING THIS LIST MOSTLY BY MYSELF!

Just a reminder on our test drive rules for the Emira:

All test drives will have to be logged on Lotus’ Scorpion Tracker system, so I will be pre-booking test drives to allow enough time to ensure all drives are logged correctly and insured.

All our demo vehicles will be equipped and tightly monitored with Scorpion trackers, and we will have pre-determined test drive routes, with a few options available with an approx. drive time of around 30/45 minutes per test drive, with a 50/50 mix of A-Road and B-Road/town driving (depending on your route choice) to try to give you the best idea of what the car can do! Of course, it goes without saying that whilst on the road everybody who test drives the Emira will be obliged to remain obedient to the road laws and speed limits!

All test drives will be accompanied, this is for insurance purposes and to ensure the vehicle stays to the pre-determined route – to save any confusion with the tracker system and alerts! If partners/other people would like to have a go in the Emira then please let me know at point of booking so I can allow for a 2nd test drive or allow for me to take them out as a passenger!

This is a super exciting time for us here at Lotus Sussex – and we can’t wait to help you on your journey towards owning a piece of Lotus future!

As usual, any questions that you have, please don’t hesitate to ask – I’m always an email away!
Wow 😮 so prescription- this is diminishing all the enjoyment out of this process. They say it is a super exciting time - doesn’t feel super exciting I’m going to read war n peace before I’m trusted for a ride ! Just walked into BMW today cold call took M4 out unaccompanied no list of do and don’ts. Uhm so can’t go for test ride on day I was planning Sunday as work during week- feels like everything is difficult with Lotus and full or rules and regulations.
The way that mail is written feels like I’m on the naughty step before I even get to sit in the precious car !

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Useful info. No mention of booking priority being given to deposit holders with imminent checkout decisions. Lotus had said that would be the case but more recently have been unable to say yes or no.

I bet the online booking system crashes under the weight of traffic on Monday! Hope I can get a weekend slot - surprising they are not gearing up to do both Sat and Sun given the long waiting lists.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Useful info. No mention of booking priority being given to deposit holders with imminent checkout decisions. Lotus had said that would be the case but more recently have been unable to say yes or no.

I bet the online booking system crashes under the weight of traffic on Monday! Hope I can get a weekend slot - surprising they are not gearing up to do both Sat and Sun given the long waiting lists.
So we have 2 weeks but wonder how many are restricted to w/e due to work ? so I have 2 dates to hopefully get booked in and also I’m pretty restricted to one dealer due to my location, is that enough time to get all deposit holders thro ? before rest of interested public ?
This tracker will be pinging left right and center every time 1 mph over speed limit- Lotus will probably turn car off 🚫🚫🚫🚫 and we’ll be ejected !

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wow 😮 so prescription- this is diminishing all the enjoyment out of this process. They say it is a super exciting time - doesn’t feel super exciting I’m going to read war n peace before I’m trusted for a ride ! Just walked into BMW today cold call took M4 out unaccompanied no list of do and don’ts. Uhm so can’t go for test ride on day I was planning Sunday as work during week- feels like everything is difficult with Lotus and full or rules and regulations.
The way that mail is written feels like I’m on the naughty step before I even get to sit in the precious car !
Remember a couple of years ago, sales executive I bought my first Evora had moved to McLaren Leeds. Happened to call in when passing, he was pleased to see me, great curtesy, took ne through all the cars and invited to the workshop to see cars being serviced. Said I was really interested- dropped a set of keys to a 570GT demo car - said to take it out for a blast for a hour or so, unaccompanied. Was a great car. McLaren then invited me to a day out at the testing ground Beffordshire, did loads of testing at phenomenal speed, alpine section, 1 mile oval etc.

I emailed LCS on Wednesday to ask them for a date as a “Priority” customer for a demo ride. No response yet, as I am waiting to decide that spec chosen is OK and issues with my Previous Evora’s have been addressed.

This all looks so controlling and doesn’t feel very personnel at all, getting tired of this charade. I have really lost the love for this car and the whole scenario. Due to being retired I can attend at any time, but those who are restricted on time and work. This is so shocking.

Who at Lotus have or haven’t thought about this.

Even last years reveal was crap. The roadshow was a disaster( remember) we were given time slots to view. But at Parks that didn’t happen there was a free for all 1 hour before my time slot a general presentation was given which I missed!!! 3 hrs drive to get there and I missed it!

So this I feel is also heading for disaster, I think I feel very negative about this whole process, is it just me as I feel let down by it all, I am really ready to give up on it, what was supposed to be an exciting pivotal moment in car ownership has been soured by faceless people who are scared we will see something in this car that doesn’t add up. I feel the road testers also felt that way as well.

Remember when the Evora was rolled out it won so many superlatives from the motoring press, even best handling car - When the Elise was rolled out - to a stunned world it defined sports cars at the time. I don’t think this is going to happen this time🤷🏻‍♂️

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sadly I feel much the same as you. The initial excitement of hearing about the genesis of Type 131 and getting a deposit in pre-reveal, taking part in the reveal, being one of the first on-stand at Goodwood to see the show car and be allowed to sit in it. On through the growing frustrations as so little info was published, having to lock in my spec (last October - a year ago now) but then getting a chance to tour the factory and hear about plans to do better on comms (never fulfilled).

Then delays, understandably caused by outside factors but the impact often not well communicated. Another positive Goodwood, with plenty of time to crawl all over cars and ask questions, plus a chance to ride full-bore up the hill with one of the development drivers. Since then everything has gone downhill on customer care from my perspective, with different and longer delays for me and other pre-revealers, deliberate non-communication by Lotus, inept handling of other people's Auto box delays, and an overly-prescriptive approach to test drives. Plus now some emerging evidence from real customers that one of the weak points of the Evora drivetrain may not have been addressed.

I never expected special treatment, just to be treated fairly alongside others and like a customer rather than a number stored (incorrectly) in a CRM system. I don't think Lotus really cares if I or anyone else cancels. My test drive is going to add the final pieces to the puzzle and then I'll be able to make a decision.

OP
New to Lotus

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Same here everything depends on the test drive hopefully next week. If it doesn't blow me away I'm out.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Same here everything depends on the test drive hopefully next week. If it doesn't blow me away I'm out.
Exactly same - on one hand I want the car to be a great drive then I’ll be very much excitingly waiting till January to finally get a car again as will of been without one for 1.5 years. But on the flip side I maybe don’t as everything is telling me I don’t want to be part of Lotus simply due to customer experience alone, lots of things have been a turn off, inc. the demo ride letter ! way OTT.
One downside if car not for me nothing then fully ticks all my boxes, struggling then what to get. I’ve windled my list down to: Alpine, RS3, Golf R but none of these get my full ❤️ New ugly M2 would be on my list but don’t think I can hold out until they come out. Also if don’t like going back to a manual mulling over maybe changing deposit to the i4 ??? and get something in meantime. Hubby wishes I get sorted quickly I’m like a broken record 🤓lol

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Sadly I feel much the same as you. The initial excitement of hearing about the genesis of Type 131 and getting a deposit in pre-reveal, taking part in the reveal, being one of the first on-stand at Goodwood to see the show car and be allowed to sit in it. On through the growing frustrations as so little info was published, having to lock in my spec (last October - a year ago now) but then getting a chance to tour the factory and hear about plans to do better on comms (never fulfilled).

Then delays, understandably caused by outside factors but the impact often not well communicated. Another positive Goodwood, with plenty of time to crawl all over cars and ask questions, plus a chance to ride full-bore up the hill with one of the development drivers. Since then everything has gone downhill on customer care from my perspective, with different and longer delays for me and other pre-revealers, deliberate non-communication by Lotus, inept handling of other people's Auto box delays, and an overly-prescriptive approach to test drives. Plus now some emerging evidence from real customers that one of the weak points of the Evora drivetrain may not have been addressed.

I never expected special treatment, just to be treated fairly alongside others and like a customer rather than a number stored (incorrectly) in a CRM system. I don't think Lotus really cares if I or anyone else cancels. My test drive is going to add the final pieces to the puzzle and then I'll be able to make a decision.
I feel for you Tom and most early adopters, pre reveal or otherwise. This has been so wrong all along. I remember when Phil Popham MD before Matt Windles took over, mentioned there was this one car after Evora and before electric which was Type 131 - was so excited. (I wanted a new Lotus Roadster) ohh to be disappointed. Now 3-4 years later. Here we are, stumbling for the UK market. Yes there has been issues with market conditions and supply chain problems.
But I do not for once accept Brexit is the issue. This is a rebodied Evora. And that’s it, no one can tell me otherwise. I will not listen to those that say it isn’t.
And so we have a bloody gearbox that was rubbish at time of Evora hoisted onto us again, as you say Tom - it’s starting to come out from delivered cars and test drives in the USA that no attempt has been made to sort out this gearbox.
There maybe a new factory, with money spent on paintwork and assembly (but it looks like the same assembly procedure as Evora) but why ohh why have they not spent money on a new gearbox from Quaif or Xtrac or Ricciardo or graziano or ZF. Jubo have done it on the Evora so why didn’t they do it. The product is the main issue not the process.
I fear there are going to be a lot of people coming from other marques who are going to be disappointed, they will live with it for a while, then get shot.

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Email from HQ to all deposit holders in the coming week, with link to online booking system.
Received a response from LCC to my email last Wednesday. Test drive vehicles are due to be delivered by next week. hopefully email invitations won’t be long after that!

Email to be sent to deposit holders very soon!

Please keep an eye on your emails in the next coming weeks!

I guess they don’t know that my dealer received their demo last Friday and was posted on instagram accordingly.

So now have to wait “weeks” for an email, then I guess this will be arranging an available slot - with many others trying at the same time, this is positive but so so wearing and frankly in this day and age - childish. This is adding time to my decision process which is pushing the time in 2023 to receive a car.

But is this their intent?

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Received a response from LCC to my email last Wednesday. Test drive vehicles are due to be delivered by next week. hopefully email invitations won’t be long after that!

Email to be sent to deposit holders very soon!

Please keep an eye on your emails in the next coming weeks!

I guess they don’t know that my dealer received their demo last Friday and was posted on instagram accordingly.

So now have to wait “weeks” for an email, then I guess this will be arranging an available slot - with many others trying at the same time, this is positive but so so wearing and frankly in this day and age - childish. This is adding time to my decision process which is pushing the time in 2023 to receive a car.

But is this their intent?
When has Lotus prioritised deposit holders based on date of deposit, I can see arranging test drives becoming a free for all. Once that link is in the public domain Bob and his mates,who aren't early depositers, will be getting test drives ahead of genuine ones... Just sayin..

Let's hope the link is unique to a deposit holder.