• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK dealer demo cars - specifications

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
    Featured
This test drive thing is pretty easy. You only have two choices; it's extreme or not as extreme. Test drive the sports setup. If you like it, then don't bother with touring. If sports feels too harsh for you, then touring is your choice.
Except it's not extreme and both setups are within 5-10% in terms of the technical specs. If it was a bigger gap between them then the choice would be easier.

For people familiar with previous Lotus cars it's fairly straightforward, but if you're coming from other marques I think you really need to set aside what you've been told before about "sports" suspension on a sportscar and try both.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I really hope so for everyone that has been so keen and enthusiastic for such a long time.
I have 3 competitor test drives booked in for next week. Couldn't have been a different Customer Experience and hence I'm really looking forward to them!
Ooo spill the beans what you test driving. After watching the the car magazine review I have doubts again, spongy clutch peddle n heavy, soft brakes, leisurely power delivery not exciting ! Seats don’t hold you and not even sports car excitement!!!!!!!!
I literally can’t wait to see if this is the car for me or Not and if I’ve literally wasted a year believing the Lotus hype with all the inconvenience of not having a car for a year to then maybe chuck towel in and get something else. 🤦‍♀️

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ooo spill the beans what you test driving. After watching the the car magazine review I have doubts again, spongy clutch peddle n heavy, soft brakes, leisurely power delivery not exciting ! Seats don’t hold you and not even sports car excitement!!!!!!!!
I literally can’t wait to see if this is the car for me or Not and if I’ve literally wasted a year believing the Lotus hype with all the inconvenience of not having a car for a year to then maybe chuck towel in and get something else. 🤦‍♀️
Only thing is getting in something else brand new put's you in another 12,18,24 month queue or buying an overpriced used car.

I've just rolled the dice and got deposits on cars all over the place as a back plan and options to flip.

Does any remember the good old days when you ordered a new car and it turned up 3 or 4 months later lol

Stick with the Emira im sure you'll be happy even when just looking at it.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This one popped up on my alerts this morning. If it didn't already have a deposit on it I'd be very tempted. OK, it's 10 years old, but it's a high spec, low mileage, warranty-able and a bit of an icon.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Except it's not extreme and both setups are within 5-10% in terms of the technical specs. If it was a bigger gap between them then the choice would be easier.

For people familiar with previous Lotus cars it's fairly straightforward, but if you're coming from other marques I think you really need to set aside what you've been told before about "sports" suspension on a sportscar and try both.
It's not extreme to people familiar with a Lotus, but to people coming from other marques that's probably what their perception is from the terms Lotus has used: sports or touring. If you aren't able to test drive both, drive the sports. If it feels good to you and you like it, your decision is made. If it seems a little bumpy to you on the test drive, then the touring will be less bumpy. You only have two choices if you're getting an Emira.

Look at the reactions Harry and Shmee had, both of whom have way more driving experience in a wide variety of cars than the typical customer does. Shmee went from sports to maybe I should get the touring instead, probably should. Harry was the most dramatic. He went from obvious concern about how different sport felt on the road as opposed to his ride at Hethel, to all smiles and couldn't believe how different touring was and changed his order to touring.

If you only drive touring, then you'll have that nagging feeling that maybe the sport would be better; more 'sporty'. (Honestly, Lotus should have chosen different terms). If you drive the sport and get the same reaction Harry and Shmee had, then the only other choice you have is touring. It will be better for you than sport. Touring isn't grandma mode; it's still track capable. Unfortunately the term implies soft and cushiony and we know that's not a Lotus. It's just an unfortunate usage of terms. Lotus is clearly not used to selling to people who aren't part of their regular demographic.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I disagree about what to test drive. Touring will suit the majority of drivers, particularly on the UK's variable quality of roads. In other countries the road surfaces may be better or people might be doing mainly track miles, in which case Sports will be suitable.

If dealers only have one driveable demo car, my advice would be to test drive Touring, unless you have smooth roads or will be using it as a track car. If you enjoy the test drive then don't worry about what "might be" with Sports. It's not the "pinnacle" variant, they're two different options for different use cases and for most people the Touring is what Lotus are recommending.

Of course, Lotus should let you drive both and make a properly-informed decision. But then we wouldn't be able to debate it on here :)

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This one popped up on my alerts this morning. If it didn't already have a deposit on it I'd be very tempted. OK, it's 10 years old, but it's a high spec, low mileage, warranty-able and a bit of an icon.

Wow, a very nice car indeed. Just for fun, I checked the insurance and it was only £100 more than the Emira (£600 McLaren vs £500 Emira). No idea about other running costs though. At least with the Emira, we will have the 3 year warranty for anything that breaks with just servicing to pay for (which isn't too expensive for Lotus in my experience, no idea about McLaren).
Anyway, stop looking elsewhere Mr. Tom! You are our role model as an early depositor showing patience beyond that of a Saint. No more wavering allowed.:ROFLMAO:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I disagree about what to test drive. Touring will suit the majority of drivers, particularly on the UK's variable quality of roads. In other countries the road surfaces may be better or people might be doing mainly track miles, in which case Sports will be suitable.

If dealers only have one driveable demo car, my advice would be to test drive Touring, unless you have smooth roads or will be using it as a track car. If you enjoy the test drive then don't worry about what "might be" with Sports. It's not the "pinnacle" variant, they're two different options for different use cases and for most people the Touring is what Lotus are recommending.

Of course, Lotus should let you drive both and make a properly-informed decision. But then we wouldn't be able to debate it on here :)
For someone like you or I, we know all that. I don't even need a test drive. I ordered touring. I agree that touring will suit the majority of owners because you and I know what a Lotus is, chassis description notwithstanding. For people who are not like you or I, I see a problem with their unfamiliarity of the brand in thinking that a touring chassis won't be sporty, and you and I both know that's not the case at all. A Lotus is a sports car, period. I'm sure Lotus is going to get a lot of feedback from the dealers about how the test drive experience is going, once it begins.

Either way, a test drive for those not familiar with the brand should be interesting. There's nothing like a Lotus.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This test drive thing is pretty easy. You only have two choices; it's extreme or not as extreme. Test drive the sports setup. If you like it, then don't bother with touring. If sports feels too harsh for you, then touring is your choice.
Definitely not that easy. I'm particularly keen on suspension feel due to the roads I regularly drive on.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
your TESTING my patience, thats what you're testing.. haha.

One has to be a 718 GTS/spyder....surely
Maybe an Exige with 400+HP
and maybe a BMW... ohhh I hope not...
You obviously know me far too well, or I'm a bit too shouty on here 😅
BMW pah 🤢

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am assuming that the suspension on my Evora 410 Sport was likely close to the Sport version that will be on the Emira. I felt every lump, bump and leaf that I drove over and this was amplified by the carbon bucket seats. I feel that I have been there and done that with Sports setting, so I think that Tour will be the ideal choice for me. I am kind of wishing there was a 'Tour Soft' option!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definitely not that easy. I'm particularly keen on suspension feel due to the roads I regularly drive on.
Well if sport feels too harsh, then you only have one other choice. If you drive touring and it feels okay, you're going to want to then drive sport to see if it's more okay than touring. If you can only drive touring and aren't able to drive sport, it's going to bug you; you know it is. If you can only drive sport, and it's a bit too harsh, then now you at least know that so that concern can be put to rest. It won't bug you.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My humble 2 cents... I think the T vs S suspension is more about for what reason are you buying the car. If this is a second or third car, I think the Sport setup is going to give a bit more raw drive compared to tour. At the cost of comfort of course. If you plan to drive this car more than 10K miles per year, get the touring.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
981 Spyder
718 Cayman GTS
Morgan 3 Wheeler 😅
Possibly Exige 420 FE but it's a bit of a trek. But then I'm keen to try it.

981 Spyder .......... Proper looker will defo hold its value
718 Cayman GTS ........ Same shape since 2016 dare I say a little boring now
Morgan 3 Wheeler 😅 ....... No comment
Possibly Exige 420 FE ....... Awesome track attacker definitely not a daily

Sorry Emira wins even before the test drive

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I saw that Tom it's a stunning spec and looks like value even against the Emira in my humble opinion

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Well if sport feels too harsh, then you only have one other choice. If you drive touring and it feels okay, you're going to want to then drive sport to see if it's more okay than touring. If you can only drive touring and aren't able to drive sport, it's going to bug you; you know it is. If you can only drive sport, and it's a bit too harsh, then now you at least know that so that concern can be put to rest. It won't bug you.
Or, neither are OK....
I dont really want any compromises from a car like this to be honest. It's fine if your Harry or Scmee and have a multi million pound garage but this will most probably be my main Sports car.
My current GR Yaris is borderline a little too firm around town but not bone shaking and I'm used to a firmer ride. The flip side is it's incredibly controlled when pushing on with a bit of roll but not too much, and the faster you go the more controlled and confidence inspiring it gets.
The picture I'm building in my head from reviews of the Emira is in comparison the touring is going to be too soft and Sports too hard and neither set up will offer that feeling of security to keep pushing on above 8 tenths.
But then it's all supposition until I get to drive both...
I honestly don't think Lotus have done a good job of explaining the differences either. It seems to be very much the case that we know what we are doing and you will like it. You are either a track driver or a GT driver and there is no middle ground.
Now historically knowing their god like chassis set up capabilities I may have simply gone along with that and was partly why I was 'happy' to put my name down for Touring BUT the journalist reviews are not echoing that sentiment and I think times and technology have moved on and found Lotus wanting a bit in this area

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
981 Spyder .......... Proper looker will defo hold its value
718 Cayman GTS ........ Same shape since 2016 dare I say a little boring now
Morgan 3 Wheeler 😅 ....... No comment
Possibly Exige 420 FE ....... Awesome track attacker definitely not a daily

Sorry Emira wins even before the test drive
See thats a fair opinion but I would counter with:
981 Spyder .......... Rarer, more interesting, sounds better, better engine, no roof, better luggage capacity.

718 Cayman GTS ........ The benchmark all round package. I like the fact that it doesn't shout look at me but outperforms everything else

Morgan 3 Wheeler 😅 ....... Ultimate fun weekend car at non silly speeds. Doesn't take up a lot of room. Won't depreciate. Rarer and more interesting talking point than any of the other cars. Sounds ridiculous in a good way

Exige 420 FE...... Im used to reasonably hardcore rides so I could maybe... make it work and have best of all worlds. But this is an unknown for me as is it almost in a class of its own.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Or, neither are OK....
I dont really want any compromises from a car like this to be honest. It's fine if your Harry or Scmee and have a multi million pound garage but this will most probably be my main Sports car.
My current GR Yaris is borderline a little too firm around town but not bone shaking and I'm used to a firmer ride. The flip side is it's incredibly controlled when pushing on with a bit of roll but not too much, and the faster you go the more controlled and confidence inspiring it gets.
Thats because it doesnt ever go that fast......

The picture I'm building in my head from reviews of the Emira is in comparison the touring is going to be too soft and Sports too hard and neither set up will offer that feeling of security to keep pushing on above 8 tenths.
So dont push on, simple... keep to 7/10's
But then it's all supposition until I get to drive both...
two dealers.... IF you find one who has TOUR... I guess most will have one or the other... haha
I honestly don't think Lotus have done a good job of explaining the differences either. It seems to be very much the case that we know what we are doing and you will like it. You are either a track driver or a GT driver and there is no middle ground.
You're not making any friends here..... If I were Lotus I'd be pushing you back to 2023 now for sure...
Now historically knowing their god like chassis set up capabilities I may have simply gone along with that and was partly why I was 'happy' to put my name down for Touring BUT the journalist reviews are not echoing that sentiment and I think times and technology have moved on and found Lotus wanting a bit in this area
OMG... now they are pushing you to 2024 hahah
Sorry, Ive just been shopping and Im bored and my mom is here asking for help to put the duvet in the cover... so its this or that....
It is indeed weird to any new or even old Lotus person to have this situation with 5% between the two cars... Im not sure it will catch on...ever... you are right, another bad Lotus Idea I think...