UK dealer demo cars - specifications

a.s_

Reaction score
OK thank you for the info really appreciated.
Lets hope there is some flexibility if required so that customers can drive the car on roads that suit their driving style.
A bit disappointing if the drives are always accompanied as well. Be nice to get to know the car without 'distraction'
It isn't a massive issue mind.
With this much planning having a signed off set route, driving tracker on each car and accompanied test drive makes it feel that Lotus are expecting a lot of test drives by people who don't know how to handle a 400bhp, rwd, mid engine car #forthedrivers
No problem!

I totally get that, though for our dealership specifically it really is a challenge to find good roads to drive any Lotus within a reasonable distance - if they could stretch to an hour's test drive then I could easily put together a really fun route with some incredible roads through... er... a certain national park ;)

As it stands though, the route the sales team proposed has a bit of motorway, a bit of urban driving and a bit of reasonable driving roads, which I think for a short test drive is the best they can do really, though it's not ideal.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
No problem!

I totally get that, though for our dealership specifically it really is a challenge to find good roads to drive any Lotus within a reasonable distance - if they could stretch to an hour's test drive then I could easily put together a really fun route with some incredible roads through... er... a certain national park ;)

As it stands though, the route the sales team proposed has a bit of motorway, a bit of urban driving and a bit of reasonable driving roads, which I think for a short test drive is the best they can do really, though it's not ideal.
Yes that doesn't sound too ideal.
I'm still non the wiser where you are 🤣

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I expect it’s partly to do with the fear someone might spaff one into an immovable object. I was telling/boring my son with Emira test drive news just now and he said someone had crashed an M4 CSL on a test drive. Ouch.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I expect it’s partly to do with the fear someone might spaff one into an immovable object. I was telling/boring my son with Emira test drive news just now and he said someone had crashed an M4 CSL on a test drive. Ouch.
Yes a couple of GR Yaris's found ditches/hedges as well if you recall.
Fortunately I got to take one out for 40 mins unaccompanied and managed to keep it on the black stuff 😇

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I spoke to Rybrook today in regards to what cars they are getting and when it is likely etc:

arriving: "imminently"
Spec: "havent a clue, Lotus arent telling us, we presume one sport one tour, but no idea on colour and trim
arrangements: "we are not sure if Lotus are going to contact you to arrange a test with us or you have to call us to arrange"

other comments...: "one chap rang yesterday who was told last week he was October build, he had a call last night to say he was now pushed back again to early next January...."

"we're kept in the dark as much as you are...."

I believe him tbf, seems a royal Sh1t show from the company itself, change the record i know.... but im slowly getting to the point where i am over it tbh, the excitement is now gone, i've enquired on a 360 so may seriously move from the FE October build to Base i4 whenever they pull their fingers out and not worry about it... probably sometime in 2025 the way theyre going...

Last edited:

Ian C

Reaction score
The recent email said that Lotus would be ' inviting us to test drive very soon' so reads that they are sorting it but my local dealer has a list already that they have made

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It sounds like Lotus are being overly prescriptive about test drives. I get that the demo cars now belong to them and not the dealers (sorry “agents”), so they need some safeguards. But prescribing a route people must follow is really odd.

My dealer would happily take people on a recommended route if they didn’t know the area. But they’d also just get a signature, hand me the keys and say “see you in a couple of hours”.

Yes, someone did park an Exige in a hedge and a few got speeding tickets. But the conversion from test drives to sales was over 75%.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It sounds like Lotus are being overly prescriptive about test drives. I get that the demo cars now belong to them and not the dealers (sorry “agents”), so they need some safeguards. But prescribing a route people must follow is really odd.

My dealer would happily take people on a recommended route if they didn’t know the area. But they’d also just get a signature, hand me the keys and say “see you in a couple of hours”.

Yes, someone did park an Exige in a hedge and a few got speeding tickets. But the conversion from test drives to sales was over 75%.
It is slightly ironic that they haven't been prescriptive enough with the press cars and now when it comes to finaly giving their long suffering deposit holders a first drive, they give us a chaperoned pre signed off lap of the local area.

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
No problem!

It sounds like you could be my chosen dealer given how you have described the location but I could and probably am wrong. Hopefully I'll be finding out in a few weeks 👍

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'll post the details of ours when they arrive.. the sales team are fed up of me pestering them I think! We've still got no clue on specs for ours, we've got our test route sorted out though, should be about a 45 min loop :)

Still no idea if I'm actually allowed to say which dealership I'm working for at the moment, he
It is slightly ironic that they haven't been prescriptive enough with the press cars and now when it comes to finaly giving their long suffering deposit holders a first drive, they give us a chaperoned pre signed off lap of the local area.
This is yet again another turn OFF for me - Lotus I’m a grown women who has driven and owned many sports cars I’m pretty sure I can Handle a mere lowly 400bhp and I can be trusted - do they think we’re test driving the Evija ??? This test drive for me entails 5.5 hrs travelling (there n back) so if I am going to be strictly told which route and circa 20 mins - this is not going to float my boat 🛶!!!
Lotus you’ve had almost zero communication/ engagement with me for a year now and for the demo ride the major decision point of whether I buy this car or not and I’ve going to be given a list of 20 rules to adhere to and be treat like I’m a child not to be trusted with there car for no longer than 30 mins !!!
The more I find out about Lotus I’m beginning to question if this is the right brand for me ……

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It sounds like you could be my chosen dealer given how you have described the location but I could and probably am wrong. Hopefully I'll be finding out in a few weeks 👍
Which one as we’re in same neck of woods aren’t we ? I’m trying to decide which one to go to for test ride
JCT in Bradford ?

a.s_

Reaction score
No comment :censored:

I will say though that the time constraints are most likely down to the sheer volume of test drives expected - we're expecting to be inundated with constant test drives almost non-stop following our demo's arrival, so there's only so much time we can offer to ensure everyone is able to drive the car as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Russc

Reaction score
Details from Caffyns Ashford.

They also suggested that the demo at Sussex will be running Sports suspension with Eagle F1 Tyres.

SHOWROOM:

AfcM2Yhp

Manual
Hethel Yellow
Black Alc Yellow Stitch
Black Alc S/wheel
Black Pack
D.Cut V Spoke
Black Calipers
SPORTS & CUP 2
Scorpion
Homelink
DEMO:

sgUclRrG

Kent
Manual
Magma Red
Ice Silver Leather
Black Leather S/wheel
No Black Pack
Silver V Spoke
Black Calipers
TOUR & EAGLE F1
Scorpion
Homelink

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks! Added to post #1

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Considering how 'in-demand' these cars are, and the scarcity, I would expect one of the concerns Lotus has is someone going for a test drive and not coming back. Perfect opportunity for thieves to just drive it away and into an electronically shielded big rig, to be shipped out overseas in a shipping container. They periodically find containers loaded with stolen cars at the ports here, usually because they were looking for drugs instead.

Also, while each of us knows we're above reproach and not going to do anything reckless, they don't know that, so this precaution may be an insurance thing. They don't have thousands of extra cars lying around they can use to replace a damaged or stolen Emira.

It may also be precisely because of what happened with some of the 'trusted' journalist, that Lotus has decided to take this approach for test drives with people who they don't even know at all in any capacity. If they didn't, it wouldn't surprise me to have some yo run off with an Emira, just so they can do a video for YouTube with a big click-bait headline "DON'T BUY THIS CAR" etc.

It's okay. It's just a car. If you like driving it with a passenger (dealer), then it'll be even better when you're solo.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I quite like dealer accompanied drives… they must have nerves of steel!

I remember an mx5 dealer saying “woooaaahhh, most people don’t drive it like this”

😄

I like the ones that completely over estimate their own and the cars abilities.
My favourite was accompanying my mum on a test drive in a brand new Nissan 200SX. Leaving the dealer and coming off a roundabout onto the slip road the Sales guy was giving it the old Billy big bollox about how he used to race cars and this car was as close to a race car as you could get for the road blah blah. And had taken the car up the opposite slip road and around the roundabout at an easy 90mph (probably a 60mph radius in reality)
So we come back the other way after a short spirited drive and my mum keeps her foot in up the slip road back towards the roundabout (it's sighted). The guy looks nervous and my mum cool as a cucumber just says "90 wasn't it?" and keeps her foot in......
Just as the guy is disappearing into his seat with a cold sweat desperate to scream BRAKE, she scrubs off some speed and says "no I dont think it was 90 was it"
Love my mum 😅😍