Tweet by lotus with some photos

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
For the US it's a dealer-fit item, so in states where it isn't a legal requirement you can ask the dealer to leave it off.
When I placed my order with Park Place in Bellevue, I specifically made a point to tell my salesman to NOT drill holes in the front for a license plate, and he laughed and said they do not do that unless it's requested by the customer.

Tell your dealer you don't want holes drilled in the front.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Your roads must be like pool tables, we need the high ride height for our UK sports cars 😛

God forbid some of us should need to use underground car parks... I'd love to have low ride height just like the launch car, but I can't deal with going through a new bumper every 2 weeks.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Another video with poorly-lit and questionably colour-rendered images of the FE colours :rolleyes:
I agree, its pretty bad, terrible in fact, but I politely add, why not write and tell them...... its possible they dont realize how bad they are as its probably not been done professionally and I cant see any harm in politely telling them. On the page of the video are all the emails of the relevant people.
I complain as much as the next person and I know its all tongue in cheek, but seriously, I think someone should say something to them instead of to us, or as well as to us. I have contacted them at a high level regarding another matter and have got some very good responses and over the next year we will see some serious changes on the customer service / sales side. I daren't mention their poor media at the same time.. haha

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agree, its pretty bad, terrible in fact, but I politely add, why not write and tell them...... its possible they dont realize how bad they are as its probably not been done professionally and I cant see any harm in politely telling them. On the page of the video are all the emails of the relevant people.
I complain as much as the next person and I know its all tongue in cheek, but seriously, I think someone should say something to them instead of to us, or as well as to us. I have contacted them at a high level regarding another matter and have got some very good responses and over the next year we will see some serious changes on the customer service / sales side. I daren't mention their poor media at the same time.. haha
I met with Matt Windle and other senior Lotus directors in January for several hours to provide feedback on the customer experience, both from my perspective and from what was being posted on various forums. That included talking about the lack of photos.

Prior to that meeting I’d provided 4 pages of detailed written feedback, an exec summary and two actions that I thought would make the most difference in the short term. One of those was publishing the photos of 6 FE colours they had already taken in October last year and not published.

Matt explained to me why they hadn’t published the pictures in Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan despite repeated requests from customers. They basically weren’t happy with the pictures and had decided to launch a new configurator instead. That went live the day after my meeting and is the version you see now. I said it shouldn’t be either/or and photos should come too. I was told they would be part of a big update to customers in March. That never materialised and we just got the press pictures of the white (non-FE) prototype car used for reviews.

I had a brief follow up chat with Matt after those reviews and was again told “soon” for pictures. What we got were a few pictures from someone who was given a personal of the factory by Matt one Saturday.

Lotus have continued to promise pictures “soon”, as they have done every month since October. Then all we get is leaked photos of questionable quality and cars in the background of PR videos released for other purposes.

By all means write to Customer Care or any of the Lotus PR team or other senior contacts. I’ve raised it repeatedly with senior people and as a result have reset my expectations to zero. If we get decent pictures before demo cars arrive at dealers it’ll be a bonus.

People should not be having to book factory tours and make long journeys (eg from the US) just to see the colours and inform their decision on colour before they have to lock in specs. Lotus just don’t care.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I met with Matt Windle and other senior Lotus directors in January for several hours to provide feedback on the customer experience, both from my perspective and from what was being posted on various forums. That included talking about the lack of photos.

Prior to that meeting I’d provided 4 pages of detailed written feedback, an exec summary and two actions that I thought would make the most difference in the short term. One of those was publishing the photos of 6 FE colours they had already taken in October last year and not published.

Matt explained to me why they hadn’t published the pictures in Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan despite repeated requests from customers. They basically weren’t happy with the pictures and had decided to launch a new configurator instead. That went live the day after my meeting and is the version you see now. I said it shouldn’t be either/or and photos should come too. I was told they would be part of a big update to customers in March. That never materialised and we just got the press pictures of the white (non-FE) prototype car used for reviews.

I had a brief follow up chat with Matt after those reviews and was again told “soon” for pictures. What we got were a few pictures from someone who was given a personal of the factory by Matt one Saturday.

Lotus have continued to promise pictures “soon”, as they have done every month since October. Then all we get is leaked photos of questionable quality and cars in the background of PR videos released for other purposes.

By all means write to Customer Care or any of the Lotus PR team or other senior contacts. I’ve raised it repeatedly with senior people and as a result have reset my expectations to zero. If we get decent pictures before demo cars arrive at dealers it’ll be a bonus.

People should not be having to book factory tours and make long journeys (eg from the US) just to see the colours and inform their decision on colour before they have to lock in specs. Lotus just don’t care.
Okay yes fair enough. I myself was offered an invitation to go to the factory see all the colours between now and next week when the deadline ends to lock in the spec for my particular car, but from where I live and with visitors coming and dogs to take care of, its a 7 hour journey to Hethel with at least one flight, and I cant do it, not to mention the 400 odd euros it would cost just to see the colours, which I probably still wouldnt be able to choose from anyway.

So yes I agree, but a newly released 911 doesn't necessarily fair much better in terms of seeing the colours out on the street before customers have them or youtubers at least, although their configurator is even better, which helps. Not sure whats going on with the interior of the lotus configurator, thats still pretty bad imo.

Well I am glad you have tried to do something about it rather than 90% of those who complain and thats all they do, if you know what I mean, this gets us nowhere.
I think in summary, things are better than they were, pre Geely, but they are not where they need to be. However, that was never going to happen over night, or over year.... I'd say for next year things will be more professional in terms of media, but who knows. There will probably be another turn over in staff by them as its not easy to get the right people in first try.

By the way, not thats its a competition, but I sent them a well structured, multi phased 50 page hard back cover book on what I believed they should work on when they were bought out 4 odd years ago. 20 pages of this were regarding after sales ideas, such as your own personal space on their website, where you could see your car order progressing, something Porche even now do. You could also see what things you may modify and up until which point, get photos of the build and then have the cars history in your personal area too, servicing, add ons etc. I am sure they will get there, they say many of the ideas mentioned are being put into place...... we shall see.

I guess you are expecting you car in July.....

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another video with poorly-lit and questionably colour-rendered images of the FE colours :rolleyes:
Forget the color issues, the most questionable part is the length of Matt Windle's jacket sleeves. 🧐

1651760696236.png
1651760809319.png

His jacket at the Eletre launch was even longer, I mean almost hilariously long. I had to rewind twice during the Eletre vid to see if I had imagined it, it was worse than these. I want to kidnap the man and take him to a tailor or alterations shop for a 20 minute pin-and-hem of the cuffs. :ROFLMAO:

[edit] had to go find it to see if I imagined it... omg nope
1651761136406.png

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah he has one of those builds that don't work with off-the-shelf sizes. He really needs some custom tailoring.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Forget the color issues, the most questionable part is the length of Matt Windle's jacket sleeves. 🧐

View attachment 5202View attachment 5205

His jacket at the Eletre launch was even longer, I mean almost hilariously long. I had to rewind twice during the Eletre vid to see if I had imagined it, it was worse than these. I want to kidnap the man and take him to a tailor or alterations shop for a 20 minute pin-and-hem of the cuffs. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 5207
Could be all from TK Max Gold Brands... I.e jacket could be size 44 with xl arms but f@@k it's Armani and it's reduced from £699 to £149 and I'll make it fit me...

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could be all from TK Max Gold Brands... I.e jacket could be size 44 with xl arms but f@@k it's Armani and it's reduced from £699 to £149 and I'll make it fit me...
No doubt! I'm all about a bargain. Chop that sucker and have a tailor make it look bespoke. ;)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah he has one of those builds that don't work with off-the-shelf sizes. He really needs some custom tailoring.
Sounds like a first project for Lotus Advanced Performance, in their Bespoke Apparel range - customised jackets for the senior directors.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Okay yes fair enough. I myself was offered an invitation to go to the factory see all the colours between now and next week when the deadline ends to lock in the spec for my particular car, but from where I live and with visitors coming and dogs to take care of, its a 7 hour journey to Hethel with at least one flight, and I cant do it, not to mention the 400 odd euros it would cost just to see the colours, which I probably still wouldnt be able to choose from anyway.

So yes I agree, but a newly released 911 doesn't necessarily fair much better in terms of seeing the colours out on the street before customers have them or youtubers at least, although their configurator is even better, which helps. Not sure whats going on with the interior of the lotus configurator, thats still pretty bad imo.

Well I am glad you have tried to do something about it rather than 90% of those who complain and thats all they do, if you know what I mean, this gets us nowhere.
I think in summary, things are better than they were, pre Geely, but they are not where they need to be. However, that was never going to happen over night, or over year.... I'd say for next year things will be more professional in terms of media, but who knows. There will probably be another turn over in staff by them as its not easy to get the right people in first try.

By the way, not thats its a competition, but I sent them a well structured, multi phased 50 page hard back cover book on what I believed they should work on when they were bought out 4 odd years ago. 20 pages of this were regarding after sales ideas, such as your own personal space on their website, where you could see your car order progressing, something Porche even now do. You could also see what things you may modify and up until which point, get photos of the build and then have the cars history in your personal area too, servicing, add ons etc. I am sure they will get there, they say many of the ideas mentioned are being put into place...... we shall see.

I guess you are expecting you car in July.....
Yes, I was June delivery and now July - in theory.

I agree a lot has improved post Geely, in particular the investment in production capability, quality, engineering, hiring, new models. But the change to the UK dealer model has been a huge backwards step - loyal, committed and knowledgeable dealers literally cut out of the customer experience and left in the dark to the point of many being disillusioned. And the "emperor's new clothes" situation around the "new retailing model" is in danger of undoing all the good work in other areas.

As you observed, there are some innovative but simple and low cost things that could be done to engage with customers in an authentic and Lotus-like way. We all thought having Lotus project team staff at the Emira roadshows and the interviews with people like Russell and Gavan was an indication of this, but it's petered out. An opportunity missed.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 5202View attachment 5205

View attachment 5207
This situation occurs when a jacket is borrowed at the last minute to add some formality to what was assumed was a business casual event, certainly for filming.

This is why you are offered Sport or Touring options,. :)

Is this critique coming from those obsessed with ride height and wheel gap? Also :)

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is this critique coming from those obsessed with ride height and wheel gap? Also :)
Haha not at all. I like suspension travel. I also like a bit of visible shirt cuff beyond the jacket sleeve, which should extend at maximum to the thumb-to-wrist joint. We live in a world with sartorial rules, dammit! :ROFLMAO:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Haha not at all. I like suspension travel. I also like a bit of visible shirt cuff beyond the jacket sleeve, which should extend at maximum to the thumb-to-wrist joint. We live in a world with sartorial rules, dammit! :ROFLMAO:
It was just an off the cuff comment about the photo, and the large lengths some will go for brand image.

tjlazer

Reaction score
This situation occurs when a jacket is borrowed at the last minute to add some formality to what was assumed was a business casual event, certainly for filming.

It’s a big gap…makes those big wheels look silly. Still H&R always does a good job

Blue97

Reaction score

I was told by everyone I asked , Gavan ,launch folks factory tour etc that there was no difference in tyre to bodywork gap between Sport and Touring spec .

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was told by everyone I asked , Gavan ,launch folks factory tour etc that there was no difference in tyre to bodywork gap between Sport and Touring spec .
He was making a joke about jackets, not referring to the suspension of the car.