TopGear opinion piece about the Emira steering wheel

G

Guest142

"It’s all very… un-Lotus. The marketing department was allowed to rule the steering wheel committee, and they’ve made a complete dog’s dinner of it."

I love the steering wheel. It's unique and one of the things I love the most about the cars design. I've had flat bottom steering wheel cars before and once you get used to it you don't want anything else. People are really picky if this is something they are droning about. It's a total non-issue.

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just being able to option the Emira with some 2 way adjust carbon seats and a round steering wheel with no controls from factory would have made this car feel 100 x more special to me.
I mean if you don't want any steering wheel controls at all it makes it a pretty darn easy swap to a whole range of options. Many of which have airbag compatibility.

Same with the carbon bucket seats but then you get into airbag issues. Maybe the Evora seats could be made to work?

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I love the steering wheel. It's unique and one of the things I love the most about the cars design. I've had flat bottom steering wheel cars before and once you get used to it you don't want anything else. People are really picky if this is something they are droning about. It's a total non-issue.
It's not the flat bottom that most people have an issue with, it's the fact that it rotates asymmetrically because it doesn't attach to the steering column in the center of the wheel. The upper half makes an arc across the range of motion, and for some drivers it will hit their leg when attempting full rotation.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I mean if you don't want any steering wheel controls at all it makes it a pretty darn easy swap to a whole range of options. Many of which have airbag compatibility.

Same with the carbon bucket seats but then you get into airbag issues. Maybe the Evora seats could be made to work?
I know. Just want as a factory option in an ideal world. Even simple swaps tend to be a pain in the ass nowadays in modern cars

ninjin

Reaction score

Have you driven the Emira yet? I went out for Test drive last week with a touring spec car. Ride was surprisingly good and cabin a nice place to be.... BUT the steering wheel was dire! If I was on track and not moving my hands off the wheel, then it would be fine. In road driving when I want the wheel to self centre and feed through my hands, it was impossible. If Lotus offered a 'normal' steering wheel, I would be the first to option it. The steering wheel is also not 100% dead centre to the driver, however not enough to really be an issue.

The only other issue I found on the test drive was the reflection from the dash. The strip on the dashboard was so clear to see for me and so distracting.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Funny how we all see details differently.

I never even took any notice of the wheel or the stripe whilst driving.
I certainly didnt use the buttons on the wheel.

This is something I will likely notice with more time in the car.

To be fair, I am a wildly optimistic glass-full person so I go into anything looking for the good in things. This also means I do not tend to spot or worry about the other stuff.

ninjin

Reaction score
Funny how we all see details differently.

I never even took any notice of the wheel or the stripe whilst driving.
I certainly didnt use the buttons on the wheel.

This is something I will likely notice with more time in the car.

To be fair, I am a wildly optimistic glass-full person so I go into anything looking for the good in things. This also means I do not tend to spot or worry about the other stuff.
The stripe for me (I understand others will have different views depending on seating position) was so clear in my line of sight on the windscreen. Clearer than any modern day HUD!

It won't stop me getting the Emira, I'll just get some black alcantara cloth and cover the stripe or a larger sheet for the whole dashtop. Or maybe some polarising glasses.... 🥸

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The only other issue I found on the test drive was the reflection from the dash. The strip on the dashboard was so clear to see for me and so distracting.

This has been a concern for me as well. Apparently it's there for cooling/ventilation the drivers screen, so covering it might not be an option.

Screenshot_20221127_084304.jpg

ninjin

Reaction score
That ain't good news. Looks like polarising glasses is no longer a joke!

NeilS

Reaction score
Have you driven the Emira yet? I went out for Test drive last week with a touring spec car. Ride was surprisingly good and cabin a nice place to be.... BUT the steering wheel was dire! If I was on track and not moving my hands off the wheel, then it would be fine. In road driving when I want the wheel to self centre and feed through my hands, it was impossible. If Lotus offered a 'normal' steering wheel, I would be the first to option it. The steering wheel is also not 100% dead centre to the driver, however not enough to really be an issue.

I agree about the steering wheel. Small inputs are fine but I found it awkward to use for manoeuvring around car parks and tight bends. It feels oddly low when upside down and makes it difficult to go from lock to lock. A strange choice for a Lotus.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That ain't good news. Looks like polarising glasses is no longer a joke!
Polarised glasses made the screen go black on a BMW I once had (which must have had it's own polarising filter) , unless I turned the glasses 90 degrees sideways and couldn't wear them then!......

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Polarised glasses made the screen go black on a BMW I once had (which must have had it's own polarising filter) , unless I turned the glasses 90 degrees sideways and couldn't wear them then!......
Some sunglasses are polarized in the wrong direction, that's not the screen's fault.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Unless the screen is polarised in the wrong direction...... ;):ROFLMAO:
I haven't had a BMW yet with the screen polarized in the wrong direction...

... sunglasses on the other hand, pretty often.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I think noticing the strip is going to depend on how high you sit up and obviously weather conditions, I didn't notice it at all while driving.

That steering wheel at low speeds in a parking lot I found clunky but I can overlook that. I'd imagine it would be cumbersome in any situation where I'm letting go of the wheel to let it slip and then catch it, like in a slide situation. The off-center rotation is just strange but I suspect it's something you can adapt to.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the haptic buttons on the steering wheel illuminated? Just realized I haven't driven one in the dark and wondering if the buttons light up.

SmokeGlider

Reaction score
What a lot of bollocks. Realy"!??!?? All that for some clickbait.

Yes, it might not completely be to everyone's taste or feel but a lot of us have held it and people who have driven it have told me it is absolutely fine.

It just winds me up when a small percentage thing is mentioned to diminish the strength of the overall package.

"This doesn’t happen in cars where the steering wheel rotates in a fixed circle. Like, just off the top of my head, a Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0. "

Umm. Another clear 'Buy the Cayman" statement. Yes, the Cayman is likely the better car, for most people, given it is a known package but why do we, in this country, always try to knock our top brands for the slightest thing rather than sing about the great stuff, whilst briefly mentioning the other stuff not so good.

Thanks- feel better now.
FFS, I drove it. The wheel was fine. It’s not a Tesla yoke. I’m happy.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Are the haptic buttons on the steering wheel illuminated? Just realized I haven't driven one in the dark and wondering if the buttons light up.
Here's a photo for you! They look nice at night.

emira-night-steering-wheel-lights.png