TopGear opinion piece about the Emira steering wheel

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that some people will have a preference for a particular shape, diameter, depth and material but my point is mostly about have they not got anything else to say?

Why can't they focus on the new Lotus stitching quality, the cool, sporty feeling of the gear knob, though I'd rather they focus on how the whole car experience adds up to far more than the sum of its parts.
If you read the EVO review then they are very complimentary of the car overall

They are also just a bit critical on a few areas also...

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It was not just the criticality, it was their tone.

I am actually surprised the video chap didn't purposely break off something. later making it out it fell off, just to put another nail into Lotus.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It was not just the criticality, it was their tone.

I am actually surprised the video chap didn't purposely break off something. later making it out it fell off, just to put another nail into Lotus.
Lol. As I've said before I honestly think he was just disappointed.
And because he felt so passionately about the car/brand it came accross as overly critical, wrongly or rightly Lotus stirs up those passions in petrol heads it's a good thing really. Better than apathy in my humble opinion

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Boy I feel like some of us are so in love with the Emira that they perhaps can’t see things objectively. Top Gear and others have an opinion on various things, and that’s fine. We all like different things and as reviewers, they were sharing their thoughts. Personally, I found the steering wheel to be a bit weird but also kind of cool. Maybe other things didn’t impress them enough or that they had expected certain things and when those things are different, they must voice their opinion.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira wheel looks fantastic. I can't speak of the function, yet, but I'm not worried at all. If you can't adapt, then there's something wrong with you. Seriously, can't recall a car I've driven that didn't feel "weird" at first drive, but I adapt; muscle memory is real.

...and the guy praised the hideous Cayman in that article. I certainly can't take his opinion seriously now.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When the Evora first came out, reviewers highlighted the larger gap between steering wheel and control stalks which meant you had to reach a little bit to use the indicators. When I first drove mine I thought “they’re right, there is an unusual gap” and fretted about it on that first drive.

I’ve honestly never thought about it again in 10 years, until this point came up today about the steering wheel.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira wheel looks fantastic. I can't speak of the function, yet, but I'm not worried at all. If you can't adapt, then there's something wrong with you. Seriously, can't recall a car I've driven that didn't feel "weird" at first drive, but I adapt; muscle memory is real.

...and the guy praised the hideous Cayman in that article. I certainly can't take his opinion seriously now.
I have an Audi with a flat bottom wheel and I still can’t stand it. Color me a bit concerned.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Audi with a flat bottom wheel and I still can’t stand it. Color me a bit concerned.
I love the flat bottom wheel on my GTI! However, the Emira is flat at the top and bottom and the axis/rotational point is off. I didn't hear Rory and some other complain about it though. Hopefully it's something unique that we'll get used to like @TomE with the Evora stalks.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I love the flat bottom wheel on my GTI! However, the Emira is flat at the top and bottom and the axis/rotational point is off. I didn't hear Rory and some other complain about it though. Hopefully it's something unique that we'll get used to like @TomE with the Evora stalks.
I thought that it looked neat when I bought it, and it helps provide clearance to get my legs under, but on a twisty road it’s easy to miss the bottom of the wheel with my hand. Emira’s wheel looks like it will be compounded by an even more eccentric shape and rotational axis. 🫤

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I thought that it looked neat when I bought it, and it helps provide clearance to get my legs under, but on a twisty road it’s easy to miss the bottom of the wheel with my hand. Emira’s wheel looks like it will be compounded by an even more eccentric shape and rotational axis. 🫤
The car need to be driven smoothly and in a flowing tidy manner and not in anger it seems….. #Forthedriver 😂

No grabby grabby action on the wheel or gear stick…..

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Didn’t Lotus do a song and dance about this steering wheel. They won’t have made it rubbish. Mind you I like the Aston squared off wheel in the Vanquish, never touched it though.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Believe it or not I'm not that bothered about the wheel 😅 But then I haven't used it so will of course reserve judgement 😇
I dont really see the benefit of having any type of wheel with an offset axis tho?
I'm doubting myself now are all wheels a bit offset? I'm going to bike to work tomorrow so won't check till Wednesday 🙃

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I'm not that bothered about the wheel 😅 But then I haven't used it so will of course reserve judgement 😇
I dont really see the benefit of having any type of wheel with an offset axis tho?
I'm doubting myself now are all wheels a bit offset? I'm going to bike to work tomorrow so won't check till Wednesday 🙃

I think some are, sure. I just looked at my GTI wheel and it seems off (though the flat bottom sort of throws off the perspective). Either way, it's never bothered me or even crossed my mind during these last 5 years daily driving or on the track!

20201121_120336.jpg

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think some are, sure. I just looked at my GTI wheel and it seems off (though the flat bottom sort of throws off the perspective). Either way, it's never bothered me or even crossed my mind during these last 5 years daily driving or on the track!

View attachment 6486
Actually a little similar! I'd forgotten my Golf R wheel used to be like that

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The off-rotation axis is the only part that's sort of strange to me -- I think it'll only be a minor issue.

Bod27

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My Volvo XC 90 wheel is off centre , but you don’t notice it at all, just means you can see the screen better .

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Steering wheel is clearly this week’s wheel gap.

Anyone placing any bets on next week’s topic?

I’ll wager we’ll be over-analysing a throw-away line from Chris Harris on the Top Gear review on Sunday.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Steering wheel is clearly this week’s wheel gap.

Anyone placing any bets on next week’s topic?

I’ll wager we’ll be over-analysing a throw-away line from Chris Harris on the Top Gear review on Sunday.
Vegas Odds:
Ride Height vs Wheel Gap -110
RPM & HP -125
Hood Gap -130
Key Size -145
Heated “pot luck” -200
Something positive @seats +140

#ForTheGamblers