The off topic Porsche discussion thread

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Why would you ever get a 911 Dakar over one of Porsche's SUVs?
well..... its cool and the SUV's, apart from taycan cross tourismo are not IMO
It will increase in value and the SUV's will sink....
It will feel sporty...SUV..that high up *GR yaris style... wont

oh and again, its pretty cool :)
apple and oranges, but I dont think anyone will get this car who needs an SUV, so not really the question in this case any more than why would my g/f date me instead of dating the garage door... I may be just a touch more interesting, but not much admittedly

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agreed re the above, I have a Cayenne S, it's great, but it's an Audi / VW underneath. My 911 997 C4S however was full on Porsche through and through (sold to make way for the Emira I might add!)

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The entire point of the 911 Dakar is to go off roading and you know an SUV will be better for off roading than a high riding 911. It truly is for the 911 collector with more dollars than sense.

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
tell me it wasn't a 997.2 at least??
It was a 2006 997.1 C4S - lovely car, but tiptronic box rather than manual.

I've still got the Porsche Cayenne S, an M4 and an old C class merc. Couldn't justify keeping the 911 plus the Emira. I mean I could, but, it was right to let it go :D

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It was a 2006 997.1 C4S - lovely car, but tiptronic box rather than manual.

I've still got the Porsche Cayenne S, an M4 and an old C class merc. Couldn't justify keeping the 911 plus the Emira. I mean I could, but, it was right to let it go :D
997.1 Auto.... ok you made the right choice with the Emira ;)(y)

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The entire point of the 911 Dakar is to go off roading and you know an SUV will be better for off roading than a high riding 911. It truly is for the 911 collector with more dollars than sense.
Why would you ever get a 911 Dakar over one of Porsche's SUVs?

The 911 Dakar is the same weight as a normal 911. Off-road performance, i.e. rallying not rock climbing, will annihilate the Macan / Cayenne due to the weight savings of 1000-2000 lbs. It's hard to think of a better vehicle suited for a ski trip in the mountains, blasting over sand dunes or slick conditions in general.

OP
Jonhklee

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Flip. Saw a £80k 991 Targa 4S on Autotrader today….. the one with the trick electric rear hood! So tempting

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The 911 Dakar is the same weight as a normal 911. Off-road performance, i.e. rallying not rock climbing, will annihilate the Macan / Cayenne due to the weight savings of 1000-2000 lbs. It's hard to think of a better vehicle suited for a ski trip in the mountains, blasting over sand dunes or slick conditions in general.

Let's say you and some mates want to go camping deep in the woods. Would you cram four guys and all of their gear in a 911 or a Cayenne?

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Let's say you and some mates want to go camping deep in the woods. Would you cram four guys and all of their gear in a 911 or a Cayenne?

The most behaved mate gets to ride with me. Everyone else will have to find their own way, or we can all split a rental car. In fact, that may be better as there would be less concern about them beating up my car. I'm not an Uber!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
911 Dakar - is a Terrible car. No idea why Porsche feels the need to build a 911 into a rally car.