The off topic Porsche discussion thread

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Oh I have no doubt there is some history for Porsche to pull from, they are the masters of nostalgia.

But in this case, the Dakar 911 should have stayed in the history books. Not all history is worth repeting.

Perhaps if I lived in the Middle East, I can see a use case for it. Even then there is probably better dessert rally type cars to buy. I still think it's a terrible car.

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
911 Dakar - is a Terrible car. No idea why Porsche feels the need to build a 911 into a rally car.
possibly because singer and Tuff..... did theirs, which is WAY better and quite incredible....
getting on the back of the publicity of that car from last year...
if i had the money... id get the Singer/Tuff... one. but about 5/600k needed, money for development provided by their customer...
who also had a Bowler.... according to Bowler, when I was there, when I had a
Bowler.... but I wasnt...
bowled over...
sorry

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

This should look nice and be very fast, but would EV sportscar hit the right spot?

I strongly suspect the design will look a bit different from that, especially at the front, by the time its actually released in 2 years and I have "heard" that it is meant to be a stunner, but who knows. If it looks very much like a current 718 as this mule does, I would be very sad at such a wasted opportunity to stretch their design .
In terms of your question.... In some ways, I think it will be like comparing a 196/70's car to a 2020 car. Those driving in the 60's, experiencing sports cars for the first time, MGA's triumphs TR2s and then later B's and 3's and 4's and what have you, with no driver aids to speak of, probably find todays cars, a 911 T for example, to be the most boring piece of xxxx you could imagine, like an electrified boat in comparison to the "real" experience they had back then.
We on the other hand maybe enjoy the technology and comfort and extra power and speed and cornering abilities etc. of todays cars. You cant compare a 718/911 to a Caterham..... if you want a real driver feel, almost no cars today will really give it to you, but people seem to think they do.... all things evolve.

This is why I see the same evolution happening in the long term between ICE and EV.

I for one am looking forward to the EV sports cars with space ship type interiors and noises that sound like the star ship enterprise. I will still want a manual gear shift, where even that part for some has lost its appeal, so I will have the caterham or what have you, but I would take a good looking, fast, technologically advanced porsche / lotus EV 2 seater in an instant, in fact I already have a letter of intent on one.
Like them or hate them.. they are coming and they will leave todays cars in their wake. I also think they could design into them certain things to make them more entertaining. Its not hard to make it necessary to shift gears.... for example... in the end like a moving video game haha

Elisesquared

Reaction score
No thanks on anything EV.

Just got a last minute allocation on a GT4. Finalized my spec/build today and will be accepting delivery on Jan. 6th. Very excited! The garage is starting to round out nicely:

S2000
'11 Elise SC
718 GT4
Emira

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well. This is my new 718 Boxster T.

spiffy!

IMG_3551.JPEG
IMG_3548.JPEG
IMG_3543.JPEG

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Harry's 4RS review:

Loved it, but too loud for Harry. Prefers GT3 Touring.

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
GT4 RS is mental, love it.

Popped into the local Porsche Dealership today, needed to book in the Cayenne to look at an airbag warning light, needs a pressure sensor in the seat and provided the fault codes. Wow was I unwelcome though.... I wasn't 'dressed up' so got ignored at first, eventually asked to take a seat. An older gentleman came in and got offered tea, cake, might as well have offered a massage. I got taken away from the comfy seating area, out of sight I guess, and asked what I wanted. lol. Then a fairly substantial fee for a diagnostics charge that is twice the price of the sensor the fault codes say is at fault. sighs. And even if I wanted a GT4, or GT4 RS, they'd not take my money. Hell at the rate today went I'd not be able to buy a boxster off them.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
GT4 RS is mental, love it.

Popped into the local Porsche Dealership today, needed to book in the Cayenne to look at an airbag warning light, needs a pressure sensor in the seat and provided the fault codes. Wow was I unwelcome though.... I wasn't 'dressed up' so got ignored at first, eventually asked to take a seat. An older gentleman came in and got offered tea, cake, might as well have offered a massage. I got taken away from the comfy seating area, out of sight I guess, and asked what I wanted. lol. Then a fairly substantial fee for a diagnostics charge that is twice the price of the sensor the fault codes say is at fault. sighs. And even if I wanted a GT4, or GT4 RS, they'd not take my money. Hell at the rate today went I'd not be able to buy a boxster off them.

My local Porsche dealer is great to me and I always dress extremely casual, but maybe because I've been going there since I was a teenager (mom worked there in sales for years). Last time I walked in and they threw me keys to a GT4 to play with. :)

Even so, I'm buying a Lotus. And they won't even email me back. :ROFLMAO:
:cry:

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My local Porsche dealer is great to me and I always dress extremely casual, but maybe because I've been going there since I was a teenager (mom worked there in sales for years). Last time I walked in and they threw me keys to a GT4 to play with. :)

Even so, I'm buying a Lotus. And they won't even email me back. :ROFLMAO:
:cry:
See, it's funny how different experiences can change how you view things.

When I was 26, I had a Mitsubishi EVO VIII and wanted to go test drive and look at a Boxster S. So I dressed as I usually did on the weekend (shorts and a graphic t-shirt, nothing crazy), and went to the Porsche dealership with one of my friends. I walked inside and looked at the Boxster on the showroom floor. Within about 3 minutes a salesman started walking my way. When the salesman reached me, he didn't ask my name, didn't introduce himself, he simply told me "You need to get in your car and go and stay off the showroom floor". He didn't know me or the fact I was a capable buyer. That day I promised myself I'd never buy from that Porsche dealership ever in my life. Even though it's the closest to where I live, if I were to ever buy a Porsche I'd literally go to a different state to buy and service. That dealer is dead to me.

So anytime one of my friends tells me that the closest Lotus dealer is 4 hours away, I just smile and say "So is the closest Porsche dealer" and they know what I mean.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
See, it's funny how different experiences can change how you view things.

When I was 26, I had a Mitsubishi EVO VIII and wanted to go test drive and look at a Boxster S. So I dressed as I usually did on the weekend (shorts and a graphic t-shirt, nothing crazy), and went to the Porsche dealership with one of my friends. I walked inside and looked at the Boxster on the showroom floor. Within about 3 minutes a salesman started walking my way. When the salesman reached me, he didn't ask my name, didn't introduce himself, he simply told me "You need to get in your car and go and stay off the showroom floor". He didn't know me or the fact I was a capable buyer. That day I promised myself I'd never buy from that Porsche dealership ever in my life. Even though it's the closest to where I live, if I were to ever buy a Porsche I'd literally go to a different state to buy and service. That dealer is dead to me.

So anytime one of my friends tells me that the closest Lotus dealer is 4 hours away, I just smile and say "So is the closest Porsche dealer" and they know what I mean.

Wow that's insane! Both my parents worked in luxury dealers my entire life and would never treat potential customers that way. In fact, I specifically remember working at my dad's Lexus dealer one night after class and someone came in and purchased a vehicle with cash from a brown paper bag! :ROFLMAO:

But yes, I've had similar experiences as a buyer. I remember going to a Subaru dealer to test drive a STI and they refused. Meanwhile I had owned two previously and bought my current GTI in cash. Same thing though.. I walked out and refused to ever give them my business.

This only seems to happen with those 40-80k vehicles for some reason. It's been my experience that exotic car dealers actually welcome window shoppers and are always passionate and happy to talk to visitors.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Wow that's insane! Both my parents worked in luxury dealers my entire life and would never treat potential customers that way. In fact, I specifically remember working at my dad's Lexus dealer one night after class and someone came in and purchased a vehicle with cash from a brown paper bag! :ROFLMAO:

But yes, I've had similar experiences as a buyer. I remember going to a Subaru dealer to test drive a STI and they refused. Meanwhile I had owned two previously and bought my current GTI in cash. Same thing though.. I walked out and refused to ever give them my business.

This only seems to happen with those 40-80k vehicles for some reason. It's been my experience that exotic car dealers actually welcome window shoppers and are always passionate and happy to talk to visitors.
Yeah, I think your last comment is accurate. My Emira test drive was at a dealership that is primarily a Lambo dealer, and they didn't seem to mind me hanging out and looking at stuff even with me wearing jeans and a hoodie. They seemed to just enjoy talking cars.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My experiences-
Mrs KJD drives around in a Macan GTS. It’s a lovely thing and actually drives pretty good for a 2 ton barge.
Until it comes to the dealer experience. Hateful. Completely suck all the fun out of ownership.
Every communication seems to be answered with some variation of “that will void the warranty” and their pricing can be astonishing.
eg: after a windscreen replacement Autoglass failed to recalibrate the lane-departure camera, said Porsche had to do it.
The OPC quoted 4 hours labour, £900 !!! And might be more if “anything was siezed”.
Took it back to Autoglass when they’d rebooted the laptop. It took 20 minutes!
Kinda hard to love them after that.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
As leonard has gone, I will say it..... I'd take a spyder any day of the week!!! and a spyder RS.... hmmmm. but no where to drive it close by

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As leonard has gone, I will say it..... I'd take a spyder any day of the week!!! and a spyder RS.... hmmmm. but no where to drive it close by
3.8 or 4L Spyders are very nice. Problem is that Porsches are very common, two a penny around here. The Emira will be relatively exclusive, for a while.