The Full Magma

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One thing I forgot to mention above is the road noise. The car seems very sensitive to the road surface regarding noise generation. Some times it’s almost silent but on others, pretty much restricted to some types of motorway surfaces, it’s very noisy. Much more than any previous car I think. Maybe it’s something to do with the compound in the Goodyear Eagles?

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Today took part in the first meeting of the South Bucks Emira Owners club. I think all the cars had been washed for the occasion as two Magmas, a Nimbus and a Hethel Yellow looked fantastic in the sunlight.
Good to meet @AndrewP who organised it, and Stephen and Miles.
Great location too with tasty brunch options and most importantly a big car park.
Looking forward to the next one. Will you be there?

IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1090.jpeg

J_J

Reaction score
Can someone describe what the Magma actually looks like "in the flesh" ?

In many pictures it looks bright/brilliant red which I absolutely love. In many other pictures it looks more like a brownish-red which I definitely do not. Does it change that much under the lighting?

Can you point at some pictures in this thread that are the most realistic representation of the color?

Smartphones change colors to make pictures look better. I've seen the Seneca Blue cars in the flesh and it is more of a washed out light-blue (meh, just like "Audi blue") rather than the deeper blue most smartphones make it out to be (and which looks way better, IMHO). I haven't seen the Magma and there isn't any for sale or demo near me, hence the question.

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The answer to your question is yes, it does change under different lighting conditions. One of the purposes of me putting a whole range of photos under different lighting conditions is to give those who haven’t seen one, or only seen one once under either sunny or darker lighting, the same car under a complete range of light variations. Magma is a complex colour. Of course how your screen displays it is down to your screen.
Seneca similarly goes from a deep blue to a much lighter hue.
Even if you go and see one in the flesh, the lighting conditions on the day you see it will influence what colour you think it is.

Reactions: J_J

J_J

Reaction score
Right, thanks. It's just that there is very big difference between the last photo you posted (a few posts up) and the ones from the opening post of the thread. Both appear to be sun (and shadow). Was wondering if that was down to camera or not. But you're saying they're both truly realistic?

My monitor is calibrated by the way. Either way, thank you for your service :)

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Right, thanks. It's just that there is very big difference between the last photo you posted (a few posts up) and the ones from the opening post of the thread. Both appear to be sun (and shadow). Was wondering if that was down to camera or not. But you're saying they're both truly realistic?

If it helps, and maybe with confirmation from other Magma owners, I would suggest the colour is comparable to the current Mazda/Ford reds of which there are many on the road.......of course the contours of the car create different reflections, not a "lipstick red" and can and does in some of my photos look like a washed out orange...it most definitely is not! The colour is amazing....take a leap of faith you will not be disappointed

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
All my pictures are taken with the same iPhone. It’s an XS max. I am just a happy snapper, I don’t edit the images at all, I just post what the camera captures.
The ones right at the top of the thread were taken inside the showroom at Hethel and the others all outside. One thing I would say is that a layer of grime does dull down the shine a little and the photos have been taken over a number of journeys so it’s cleaner in some than others. I would say it goes from moody burgundy through to bright cherry red depending on lighting.

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Just one other thought on this. The Hethel photos were mostly taken just after lunch so although it was mid Feb the sun would have been at its highest. The meet up photos were taken at 10am so the sun would be lower. The camera is at the same height roughly in all photos, apart from the one on the ferry which was taken from directly overhead. Actually that photo and a couple of the others in Scotland were taken by either Adam from Absolute Lotus magazine or Bill from Classic Car Tours using other types of camera and I downloaded them. There are more photos on their respective Facebook pages. The tour will be written up in Absolute Lotus magazine at some point.

J_J

Reaction score
Alright, thanks again for your pictures and your commentary.

I'm still on the fence but I have time :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I have a calibrated monitor too, and from having looked at many many photos of Emiras in the last almost 2 years, the two colors that seem to be the most affected by the color temperature of light, are Magma and Nimbus. They are both metallic paint, and the metallic flecks in the paint seem to have color bounce characteristics of their own, independent of the colored translucent layer above them.

Sunlight has all the color frequencies in it, but that is affected by atmospheric conditions. The color of sunlight at high noon is very different than it is at what's known as the "golden hour". Here's a brief excerpt from Wikipedia that describes the effect:

"The color temperature of daylight varies with the time of day. It tends to be around 2,000 K shortly after sunrise or before sunset, around 3,500 K during "golden hour", and around 5,500 K at midday. The color temperature can also change significantly with altitude, latitude, season, and weather conditions."

As a result, even if a car is outside, the color of an exotic metallic paint can change appearance quite a lot depending on time of day, where it is (altitude, latitude), season which is affected by the tilt of the earth, and weather conditions. High noon in London is going to look different than high noon in Miami, and both will change depending on whether it's spring, summer, fall or winter.

In the image below you can see how the wall, which is the exact same color paint all across it, changes its color appearance dramatically depending on the color temperature of the light sources.

color-chart-3146160601.jpeg

What we perceive as color then, isn't because an object actually is that color (because it isn't), it's because the surface of that object is rejecting certain color frequencies of radiant light, and those are bouncing off and towards our eyes. When we see red, it's because that particular frequency has bounced much more than others, so it appears red.

Now imagine you have a metallic paint, where the metallic flecks have their own color temperature bounce characteristics, and on top of that is a translucent layer that also has its own color temperature bounce characteristics. Those two characteristics are working together to create a constantly shifting color profile depending on the sources of light, the angle, etc.

If an object is inside under artificial lighting, those lights also have their own color temperature characteristics, and unless they are specifically created to have a high color reproduction index (CRI), they're going to color bias the appearance of whatever they're illuminating.

Here you can see in the room set images, how Nimbus Grey could go from being silvery grey on the right, to begin gaining warm, bronze overtones as you move to the left, depending on lighting conditions. Same thing would happen to red, going from bright red on the right, to a darker, more of an almost brown red towards the left.

color-temperature-2853593563.jpeg

This gives you a rough overview of the color temperatures of various light sources.
0*Y7VGHfO65kL7HYay-4108604044.jpeg

So the short answer to your question:

"Can someone describe what the Magma actually looks like "in the flesh" ?

In many pictures it looks bright/brilliant red which I absolutely love. In many other pictures it looks more like a brownish-red which I definitely do not. Does it change that much under the lighting
?"

is there is no "actual" color Magma is going to look like, and yes it can and will change that much under lighting. Same for Nimbus.

Last edited:

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think this video does a good job of showing Magma under direct and indirect sunlight.

Peeltone

Reaction score
Its a great colour to my eye, it shifts in light but I think always looks great here are some side by side in dealer vs the traditional Ferrari red to the right of the car and in the sun. It shifts from being a Burgundy type hue to sparkling red in the sun you can see the metallic fleck.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 13.54.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 13.54.29.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 66

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Magma was one of my main option for colour until I saw it. It was not what I was looking for in a red car and reinforced the SB choice but with DV as choice number 2

Did not pop for me especially on a winters day in Norfolk.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Can someone describe what the Magma actually looks like "in the flesh" ?

In many pictures it looks bright/brilliant red which I absolutely love. In many other pictures it looks more like a brownish-red which I definitely do not. Does it change that much under the lighting?

Can you point at some pictures in this thread that are the most realistic representation of the color?

Smartphones change colors to make pictures look better. I've seen the Seneca Blue cars in the flesh and it is more of a washed out light-blue (meh, just like "Audi blue") rather than the deeper blue most smartphones make it out to be (and which looks way better, IMHO). I haven't seen the Magma and there isn't any for sale or demo near me, hence the question.

Picture a bowl of cherries in your head. That’s how Magma looks in person. The dynamic contrast ranges from the darkest to the lightest shade in that bowl, but it’s definitely cherry red overall.