The Full Magma

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not so sunny today. Quick visit to Lakeland Motor Museum and the tribute to Donald and Malcolm Campbell before a trip on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Steam Railway.
Tomorrow heading up to Glasgow to meet other Lotus owners for the Absolute Lotus Scotland tour. Expect pictures of The Full Magma with older brothers and sisters. Mrs Pugwash wants to stop at Gretna Green for lunch for some reason!
IMG_1030.jpeg
IMG_1032.jpeg

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
260 miles today and in total clocked up about 2200. Gear shift definitely becoming smoother. Mrs Pugwash very happy with ride quality (result!). Car averaged 31 mph on way up to Scotland and now about 27 with some spirited driving today. Surprising. It makes a great grand tourer car with some fast overtakes on the roads between Glasgow and Skye.
Photos of The Full Magma with other Lotus below so look away now if you have had your fill of my photos!

ino

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I found an Evora in magma! (I know it is a fire red, lol)

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
260 miles today and in total clocked up about 2200. Gear shift definitely becoming smoother. Mrs Pugwash very happy with ride quality (result!). Car averaged 31 mph on way up to Scotland and now about 27 with some spirited driving today. Surprising. It makes a great grand tourer car with some fast overtakes on the roads between Glasgow and Skye.
Photos of The Full Magma with other Lotus below so look away now if you have had your fill of my photos!
31 is bonkers! I haven't seen a drive over 21-23 ish yet 🤷🏻 my average for the first 1200mls has been 18mpg. I'm sure Harry said in his 4500ml review he struggled to get over 25mpg.
I don't use tour, sport in the wet, track in the dry, so can only assume that has quite an impact

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was surprised too. Much better than my Evora used to make.
300 miles pretty much all motorway in 6th gear. I did have a tank of Essos finest high octane as a special treat!
Having said that, I am reporting what the dashboard is telling me. I might try a brim to brim and see what I get.

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s still on there at the moment but will come off with heat and a generous dose of love and affection.

OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
3100 miles on the clock. Over 1600 miles in a week starting near Oxford, Lake District, Glasgow, Isle of Skye, Inverness, Perth, Duns (Jim Clark Museum), Lake District and back to Oxford. Some fantastic roads.
So what can I tell you about the Full Magma Emira.
I made a lot of friends in petrol stations where the conversation general started “my mate said it was a Ferrari but I said…..”.
Many car park photos were taken by admirers and even saw a number of camera phones pointed at us out on the road.
Car feels very planted. In strong cross winds I didn’t feel anything apart from a whistle from the drivers door seal (to be sorted). Suspension soaked up all the bumps and potholes that the road threw at us. Standing water caused no issues.
Plenty of shove for fast overtakes - I never felt I needed more power to get an overtake done (and there were many!).
The single speed wiper issue was a bit scary in a Hailstorm on the M6 as my visibililty was severely reduced. In heavy rain you can’t see much through the rear hatch as the water streams over it. Side mirrors are still good however.
I found myself switching the headlights from auto to manual as there does not appear to be any way to tell what the car is actually showing from inside and I wanted maximum visibility at times so people could see me coming. Rear fog appears to work with dipped as well as just DRLs (not been out to have a look but the dash indicator came on when I pressed the button).
Fuel consumption. Given how much I was using, I did a brim to brim each day and compared with the cars readout. It was pretty accurate. I got from 24mpg to 31 average over the day depending on the roads and the spirited driving. On motorways it’s surprising how much a 50 limit for some distance makes to improve consumption.
Two carry on bags fitted easily behind the seats with a good gap in between for other things. We stood the bags up, they would have fitted lying on their sides too. If you have a bag with zips on the face it’s useful to have a small cloth to cover the zips so they don’t scratch the back of the seat. One of the bags would easily have fitted in the boot. Just need to rotate it into the space (Harry please note).
I got good at repairing the little net behind the seats. If you catch it with the corner of the suitcase when loading and push it down too much the elastic comes out of the clip. It’s easy to repair assuming you can find the plastic collar which is now under the seat somewhere. In the end I took it out as it’s not really needed with carry on bags, but an extra 1cm or slightly stretchier elastic and it wouldn’t be an issue.
I still wouldn’t say I have found the perfect seating position for me but had no back issues whatsoever. Right leg needed a stretch every now and then but thats to be expected.
I built up a good collection of bug splats on the nose. Given we could compare the two as there were two Emiras on the trip, Magma seems to hide these much better than Nimbus!
Apple car play mostly worked fine. I worked out the best approach was to just leave them alone for a bit to pair up before trying to press buttons on either end which can confuse things. I spent one leg with no sound at all (sat nav, streamed music, car FM and DAB) simply because I accidently pushed the volume button on the phone during the handshake. Only fixed after coffee stop when it just sorted itself out.
Have picked up a couple of big stone chips on the blades of the wheels. Strange but these things happen. Anyone know the paint code for the anthracite paint?
PPF doing its job. Now have a couple of “stonechip” like marks on the nose but it’s only in the PPF so all good.
The boot does get warm. The chocolate on my Tunnocks wafer biscuits got soft so I transferred them to the glove box, which does hold a surprisingly large amount of snacks! All was then good with the Tunnocks. They have dark chocolate ones in Scotland. Who knew!
So in conclusion the car did a great job. It makes an excellent grand tourer. I think it’s hugely capable and am massively enjoying it. A few minor niggles discovered as you would expect spending a week non stop in a car. And the wipers. But it never missed a beat for the whole trip.

Inevitably some pictures to follow.

Oh, and the roundels came off fine.

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
OP
Pugwash

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I did my factory pick up I was the only one there too. You will have a great time!

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The anticipation and tension/excitement is definitely starting to build, after such a long torturous wait...its finally happening! Better dust the credit card off for "the shop".
I'm based out near Hadleigh so might be nice to meet up and compare notes at some point once your car is run in. Enjoy!!