TFT screen details

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love more information about what we can view on the 12.3" screen. So far I've seen Android Auto/Apple Carplay, individual tire pressure, lap timer, G force meter, and some sort of aero graphic (possibly dynamic?)... I believe this unit is built by Lynk & Co too. Do we know if it'll take OTA software updates too?

Has anyone seen the TFT display in the Seneca Blue show car? I noticed the little Emira on the Shadow Grey roadshow car's display matches (though it appears to have the forged wheels) and wondering if they'll match our individual colors (or if they're all going to be grey)...

Screenshot_20220408-104752_Instagram.jpg

adamrj

Reaction score
Correct, this is based on the Lynk&Co infotainment system, it will almost certainly have OTA updates. These aren't always a good thing though as it gives manufacturers the flexibility to release extremely buggy software that's eventually patched later on.

I did sit in the Seneca blue show car but unfortunately I don't remember if the car image was personalised. It's not a big overhead to do this nowadays (also repeated in remote app) so hopefully it'll be coordinated.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
You can see a little more in this clip of the HCI development rig, from 7:35 onwards:
Happy to see nav displayed on the center speedo screen! I assume this comes from Android Auto or Apple Carplay. IIRC, the Porsche center screen nav in the 981 and 718 Caymans is only displayed when using the Porsche navigation and not Carplay (Porsche doesn't support Android Auto).

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, this is based on the Lynk&Co infotainment system, it will almost certainly have OTA updates. These aren't always a good thing though as it gives manufacturers the flexibility to release extremely buggy software that's eventually patched later on.

I did sit in the Seneca blue show car but unfortunately I don't remember if the car image was personalised. It's not a big overhead to do this nowadays (also repeated in remote app) so hopefully it'll be coordinated.

That's good to hear about the updates.. Hopefully users can roll back or refuse updates. Maybe there will be some hacks to further customize the displays.

Last edited:

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I get a kick out of the fact the Emira in the TFT display is slammed and rolling on 21's with 20-series rubber. :p

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of the fact the Emira in the TFT display is slammed and rolling on 21's with 20-series rubber. :p

It actually looks like reverse stagger with 20s in the back and 21s up front! 😂

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's good to hear about the updates.. Hopefully users can roll back or refuse updates. Maybe there will be some hacks to further customize the displays.
The central infotainment screen in the Emira is based on Android Automotive (this is not Android Auto as used for phone integration). Android Automotive is a custom operating system for cars designed by Google and used by Volvo, Lynk & Co, Chevrolet, Polestar, Renault etc. Its still relatively new, but adoption is growing in the Auto industry. All car brands owned by Stellantis will move to Android Automotive from 2023 onwards. Ford, GM, Honda etc are also adopting it so its going to be big.

In its native form there is an ability to download third party applications to the car's infotainment system just like on an Android Phone. There could be some cool additions that can be added this way which is super exciting! In this regard the Emira is cutting edge and an early adopter.

Last edited:
OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The central infotainment screen in the Emira is based on Android Automotive (this is not Android Auto which us used for phone integration). Android Automotive is a custom operating systems for cars designed by Google and used by Volvo, Lynk & Co, Chevrolet, Polestar, Renault etc. Its still relatively new but adoption is growing in the Auto industry. All car brands owned by Stelantis will move to Android Automotive from 2023 onwards. Ford, GM, Honda etc are also adopting it so its going to be big.

In its native form there is an ability to download third party applications to the car's infotainment system just like on an Android Phone. There could be some cool additions that can be added this way which is super exciting! In this regard the Emira is cutting edge and an early adopter.
Music to my ears! I'm excited!

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The central infotainment screen in the Emira is based on Android Automotive (this is not Android Auto as used for phone integration). Android Automotive is a custom operating systems for cars designed by Google and used by Volvo, Lynk & Co, Chevrolet, Polestar, Renault etc. Its still relatively new, but adoption is growing in the Auto industry. All car brands owned by Stellantis will move to Android Automotive from 2023 onwards. Ford, GM, Honda etc are also adopting it so its going to be big.

This excites me.

As an Android user and previous long term BMW owner it will be nice to get some decent integration with my phone.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not a deal breaker but I hope there’s a little more added in terms of colors and graphics. Not looking for anything crazy or immature but just a tad more would be nice

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Google talk up big changes to Android Auto and Android Automotive

Hopefully this means these features will come to the Emira

Very excited if that is the case

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Any idea how the Android Auto gets the internet connection @digilotus? Does it rely on you physically connecting your phone once you get in, then syncing (so another version of Apple Carplay)? I'm guessing the Emira doesn't have a built-in modem...

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea how the Android Auto gets the internet connection @digilotus? Does it rely on you physically connecting your phone once you get in, then syncing (so another version of Apple Carplay)? I'm guessing the Emira doesn't have a built-in modem...
Android Auto simply runs off your phone's data and GPS.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I assume your question is in context of Android Automotive infotainment patches or updates (not Android Auto which is totally different). Android Automotive relies on an internet connection to enable over the air updates. Fallback would be an update via USB-C to install a firmware update stored on a USB storage device.

I'm unclear whether the Emira infotainment is configured to allow WiFi hotspot connecctions or not. Bluetooth data connectivity will likely be too slow.

The good news is:
  • Emira's infotainment is based on Lynk & Co 01 hardware and platform (Android Automotive based).
  • Lynk & Co 01 hardware allows WiFi (wireless) Apple Car play and Android auto - so this would indicate native hardware WiFi capability.
  • By extension I would assume that the Emira infotainment can connect to a Wifi hotspot provided by your mobile phone (TBD).
Android Automotive also has an "App Store" feature to allow download of "car applications". This too will need internet connectivity.

I think in Lynk & Co 01, this capability is tightly controlled, which means the car apps that you can download need to be "sanctioned" by Lynk & Co before being published for download to Lynk & Co cars. What will happen with the Emira in this regard is unclear. My hope (but I'm not holding my breath) is that Lotus will allow any "Android Automotive" car apps to be downloaded and installed, relying on Google's application quality control and not its own.

The whole infotainment area of the Emira is very cutting edge and exciting.

Last edited:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ugh. $50 dollar screens from china vs analog gauges from Germany in the 718.
just ughx300 sucks bad

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here are some of the native features of the Lynk & Co 01 which has the same infotainment platform as the Emira:

lynk-apps.png

lynk-charge.png

lynk-key.png

lynk-info.png

So there very well could be several more easter eggs that we don't know about yet !!!

Obviously the HiFi is different but it will use the same "head unit".

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Voice recognition with dual mic:

"Hey Emira". "When will Lotus publish photographs of finished First Edition Cars?"
"Very soon! Please ask again next week..."

7 days later...

"Hey Emira". "When will Lotus publish photographs of finished First Edition Cars?"
"Please be patient. You already asked me that same question."

A month later...

"They're coming anytime soon, promise."

Three months later...

"Hey Emira". "You promised to publish photographs of finished First Edition Cars soon. Where the bloody hell are they?"
"I'm sorry, I don't take kindly to being insulted. Try Google, Alexa or Siri."

Last edited:

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It might have a modem and sim, my BMW did all its software and map updates over the air itself as well as traffic info

Pretty normal these days