TFT screen details

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Android Automotive is based on Android. Think of it as a smartphone built into the car. So if it has Android Assistant enabled (depends on the manufacturers choice) then yes you can say ‘Hey Google, turn on my seat heater’ or ‘turn up the fan’.

You can run apps on it like Spotify to play music without need for CarPlay. Hope that makes sense!

Not really… that suggests the car has a SIM card and a data plan.

I would absolutely love not to have to plug my phone into the car every time I go driving, but I can’t see how it works otherwise.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not really… that suggests the car has a SIM card and a data plan.

I would absolutely love not to have to plug my phone into the car every time I go driving, but I can’t see how it works otherwise.
I would expect internet connectivity is not via an independent built-in SIM, rather via a smartphone hotspot.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would expect internet connectivity is not via an independent built-in SIM, rather via a smartphone hotspot.

Ahh, I gotcha. So I have the hotspot feature set up on my phone, but I don’t need to plug it in?

Hah, as you can tell, I’m not a phone guy. Part of me resents the expectation that I need to carry it around with me! Likely because I’m over 50…

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What cars work this way? hotspot via the phone.

I only have experiance of cars with their own connectivity.
Also, what offical info is there that the system is Android Automotive? I have only seen reference to Android Auto, which of course is not the same thing.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What cars work this way? hotspot via the phone.

I only have experiance of cars with their own connectivity.
Also, what offical info is there that the system is Android Automotive? I have only seen reference to Android Auto, which of course is not the same thing.
The Infotainment system, steering wheel controls and driver display is all pulled from the Lynk & Co 01. I confirmed this with Matt Windle. That system is Android Automotive based.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Infotainment system, steering wheel controls and driver display is all pulled from the Lynk & Co 01. I confirmed this with Matt Windle. That system is Android Automotive based.
But the specs on the Lotus website still say Apple Car Play and Android Auto for the Emira.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But the specs on the Lotus website still say Apple Car Play and Android Auto for the Emira.
Yes that is for phone connectivity to the infotainment system, not describing the infotainment operating system itself.

e.g. Porsche's infotainment Operating System is designed in-house (called PCM). The latest revision (version 6.0) supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto for phone connectivity. The Porsche GT4 still uses the ancient PCM v3.2 which doesn't support Android Auto.

I know its confusing, but Android Automotive (the car infotainment OS) supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay phone connectivity protocols. :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
difference is you can see driving indications directly in front of you in the porsche but in the Emira, I dount there will be any Nav info, but I hope I am wrong...

The driver display has satnav showing as one of the available centre options:

Driver display with satnav.JPG

This is taken from a video back in November which included a look at the prototype rig for the screens:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don’t understand. He says you won’t need your phone in the car… how does it get access to maps? And how do I tell the car to turn on my Google-enabled smartlights at home (which is very cool btw)? Does this mean I need to say “Hey Google” in my car now too?

There is presumably a data connection in the car.

You would log in to the car system with your google account.

The rest works just like a (car optimized) android tablet.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

View attachment 5833

This is taken from a video back in November which included a look at the prototype rig for the screens:

These tend to be limited to the cars inbuilt satnav which are almost always inferior to Waze / google maps solutions.

Hopefully it’s fully integrated with Android automotive.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
These tend to be limited to the cars inbuilt satnav which are almost always inferior to Waze / google maps solutions.

I knew nothing about android automotive until I read this thread this morning (and I used android auto for the first time only a few days ago!) but if the polestar has Google maps integrated within the dashboard display then perhaps the Emira will?

https://www.t3.com/reviews/android-automotive

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 5833

agreed, but it is dangerously small and unclear and I would really need to concentrate for a while there, and hence eyes off the road to see it, but could be my age..... Would maybe be better just an arrow with the distance to next turn.... we shall see, but I dont expect it to compete with Audi or Porsche at this level, as long as the EV does though, which I am sure it will.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

I actually much prefer my cars sat nav, much better display than gmaps or waze, also uses my heads up which they dont, gives up to 2 or 3 indications in advance. Problem is it doesnt have all the places I look up, if any... and maybe not as good for traffic, but otherwise I find them better. Puts up realistic looking signs for exits from motorways etc.
These are generally based on the oldest 2 companies doing this...

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
My BMW sat nav routing is awful, here in the UK - it takes ridiculously narrow roads and clearly doesn't have access to any actual traffic speed data for individual roads.
how old is it? I have been taken on some awful roads by Gmaps too, I mean dirt lanes with huge holes I thought I would never get through and waze has sent me down a one way street a few times, but in the wrong direction... hah.
Audis, Porsches, Hyundai's systems, latest iterations, I think are great.
I have HUD and I am still not used to it after 4 months, still look over to the dash instead of the heads up....

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My BMW sat nav routing is awful, here in the UK - it takes ridiculously narrow roads and clearly doesn't have access to any actual traffic speed data for individual roads.

Never had this issue in my 2019 M4 Comp It had a database of road speeds but also could read signs on the fly to adjust with a camera behind the rear view mirror.

I think modern iDrive is really good and the only thing better is Waze for live info which I'm excited to use in the Emira.

Just a shame there is no HUD as not a fan of maps on the cluster behind the wheel. Prefer it on main screen in the middle if no HUD.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Never had this issue in my 2019 M4 Comp It had a database of road speeds but also could read signs on the fly to adjust with a camera behind the rear view mirror.

I think modern iDrive is really good and the only thing better is Waze for live info which I'm excited to use in the Emira.

Just a shame there is no HUD as not a fan of maps on the cluster behind the wheel. Prefer it on main screen in the middle if no HUD.
A database of road speeds which simply contains the speed limit, rather than the reality of a narrow cornish lane with locals pushing their way past? It was the last straw for me and I bought a phone mount to use Waze instead (2018 X1)

Edit: And this was whilst we were still receiving the traffic data via the bmw subscription (three years included with the car)

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A database of road speeds which simply contains the speed limit, rather than the reality of a narrow cornish lane with locals pushing their way past? It was the last straw for me and I bought a phone mount to use Waze instead (2018 X1)

Edit: And this was whilst we were still receiving the traffic data via the bmw subscription (three years included with the car)

Yes I was only referring to your point about speed limits

Can't comment on the narrow road thing because at the time I lived on the Isle of Wight and all roads are narrow and shit, then when I moved to the mainland it was all Mway use.

Waze is certainly the most ideal way forward and looking forward to it being used in the Lotus.

BMWs android integration was shocking.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive used it on a new Volvo XC40 - it was really intuitive and neat to get Google to turn the heated seats on etc etc..
I don’t let google anywhere near my life. Sure as hell hope it’s not running anything in my car.