TFT screen details

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Happy to see nav displayed on the center speedo screen! I assume this comes from Android Auto or Apple Carplay. IIRC, the Porsche center screen nav in the 981 and 718 Caymans is only displayed when using the Porsche navigation and not Carplay (Porsche doesn't support Android Auto).
difference is you can see driving indications directly in front of you in the porsche but in the Emira, I dount there will be any Nav info, but I hope I am wrong...

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
difference is you can see driving indications directly in front of you in the porsche but in the Emira, I dount there will be any Nav info, but I hope I am wrong...
A shame there is no HUD, loved it on my M4 Comp for both speed and nav

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I asked recently and the Mobile phone app for the emira/lotus to show where you car is etc, that nearly all companies have now, even Hynudai, is not available yet.... Im guessing for this year it may not make it, which would be a shame.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Lynk & Co 01 does it. Android Automotive supports it. Don't see why navigation won't be available directly in the driver's display in the Emira!

navigation.png

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The Lynk & Co 01 does it. Android Automotive supports it. Don't see why navigation won't be available directly in the driver's display in the Emira!

View attachment 5697
wow..thats the most confusing nav screen ive seen. haha..
well i guess its simply as they have not shown is there in any photos or videos and as it is "for the drivers" a bit tacky for my taste, having the nav in that area may be for the "sensible safer drivers" and not for the track type "drivers"/
Dont know, but have a feeling it wont be available there... we shall see

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
wow..thats the most confusing nav screen ive seen. haha..
well i guess its simply as they have not shown is there in any photos or videos and as it is "for the drivers" a bit tacky for my taste, having the nav in that area may be for the "sensible safer drivers" and not for the track type "drivers"/
Dont know, but have a feeling it wont be available there... we shall see
This isn't the Lotus screen of course so please don't panic.

I doubt Lotus would have any nav shown in the track drive mode for example.

adamrj

Reaction score
I wasn't aware the Emira was going to be running Android Automotive. That's not to say it won't of course, but the Lynk & Co information shown above says it has Android Auto: this isn't available if the system is running Android Automotive as there's simply no need for it.

For clarity, there are currently three flavours of Android in-car:
  • A basic Android operating system which runs a heavily skinned front-end;
  • Android Automotive is also a native Android operating system: examples are in the Polestar 2 and newer Volvos. All implementations (to date) have a similar look and feel which is quite locked down. It either runs native Google service (Maps, Play Store) or can run 3rd party services if chosen by the OEM such as TomTom maps;
  • Android Auto - this runs on a smartphone via a wired or wireless connection and is mirrored to the car's infotainment screen.
In terms of data, all newly homologated cars must have at least one data connection for eCall. They're also highly likely to be connected via a second SIM or eSIM for connected services such as navigation data, companion app data, voice recognition etc. The Emira will almost certainly have this connection (usually free for the first three or so years) and will 100% have it if it has Android Automotive.

Hope that's helpful.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wasn't aware the Emira was going to be running Android Automotive. That's not to say it won't of course, but the Lynk & Co information shown above says it has Android Auto: this isn't available if the system is running Android Automotive as there's simply no need for it.
That's not true. You may have apps on your Android phone that may not be available in the car's infotainment unit (e.g. Amazon Music). Android Automotive (the infotainment OS) supports both Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In terms of data, all newly homologated cars must have at least one data connection for eCall. They're also highly likely to be connected via a second SIM or eSIM for connected services such as navigation data, companion app data, voice recognition etc. The Emira will almost certainly have this connection (usually free for the first three or so years) and will 100% have it if it has Android Automotive.

Hope that's helpful.
eCall is mandatory in the EU only. Other countries like the US have alternative systems.

Below is the mandatory eCall "SOS" call button in the event of an emergency. There are two microphones on the roof - one above each passenger - that are used for hands-free and emergency calling as well as Android Automotive voice commands.

ecall-sos.png

Last edited:

adamrj

Reaction score
That's not true. You may have apps on your Android phone that may not be available in the car's infotainment unit (e.g. Amazon Music). Android Automotive (the infotainment OS) supports both Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
I can't find any information either way on this. CarPlay is definitely supported, but it's a very messy solution to run AA within AA've just for an app or two. I can certainly see the reason people would though, if a certain app isn't provided.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
On the subject of phones, is there any official confirmation that the phone tray under the center console offers wireless charging?

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
On the subject of phones, is there any official confirmation that the phone tray under the center console offers wireless charging?
99% sure it doesn't

But nothing official either way, one assumes not

Don't even think my phone fits in it side ways

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For those who want to learn more about Android Automotive, have a look at this video. Its quite cutting edge and very exciting!

Ive used it on a new Volvo XC40 - it was really intuitive and neat to get Google to turn the heated seats on etc etc..

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
99% sure it doesn't

But nothing official either way, one assumes not

Don't even think my phone fits in it side ways
Agreed - I assume that it won't have wireless charging. I think it looks like there's a USB port under there (never really cared to confirm that) but if so, it could serve corded charging purposes.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For those who want to learn more about Android Automotive, have a look at this video. Its quite cutting edge and very exciting!

I don’t understand. He says you won’t need your phone in the car… how does it get access to maps? And how do I tell the car to turn on my Google-enabled smartlights at home (which is very cool btw)?

Does this mean I need to say “Hey Google” in my car now too?

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I don’t understand. He says you won’t need your phone in the car… how does it get access to maps? And how do I tell the car to turn on my Google-enabled smartlights at home (which is very cool btw)?

Exactly this…

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Android Automotive is based on Android. Think of it as a smartphone built into the car. So if it has Android Assistant enabled (depends on the manufacturers choice) then yes you can say ‘Hey Google, turn on my seat heater’ or ‘turn up the fan’.

You can run apps on it like Spotify to play music without need for CarPlay. Hope that makes sense!

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This excites me.

As an Android user and previous long term BMW owner it will be nice to get some decent integration with my phone.
Agreed 100%.

I am still irritated that as an Android user, I have no Android Auto in my 2020 M2 Competition (and zero chance of even retrofitting it), nor do I even get basic stuff like Spotify integration for my music.

Tech wise I am in the Stone Age in the M2C.