TFT screen details

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I actually much prefer my cars sat nav, much better display than gmaps or waze, also uses my heads up which they dont, gives up to 2 or 3 indications in advance. Problem is it doesnt have all the places I look up, if any... and maybe not as good for traffic, but otherwise I find them better. Puts up realistic looking signs for exits from motorways etc.
These are generally based on the oldest 2 companies doing this...

Which car is this? Outside of Tesla, I’ve never seen a good factory nav.

But I’m also a UX designer, so I might be more critical than most.

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t let google anywhere near my life. Sure as hell hope it’s not running anything in my car.

nope-no.gif

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I did I quick query of this site's source code and found 1,162 mentions of google on this page alone.

Shhhh! Now we're never going to hear from Paul from Florida again. HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE OFF THE GRID!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Which car is this? Outside of Tesla, I’ve never seen a good factory nav.

But I’m also a UX designer, so I might be more critical than most.
Ionic 5
Audis has also been good for years, providing not just the next turn, but the next few..... google or waze are not amazing in my opinion at all.... basic useful, but basic.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ionic 5
Audis has also been good for years, providing not just the next turn, but the next few..... google or waze are not amazing in my opinion at all.... basic useful, but basic.

Haven't driven the Ioniq 5 yet but have been meaning to!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Polestar has amazing Google based system, why not the Emira!!?
This whole thread is about the fact that the Emira will be using Google's Android Automotive platform for the ICE.

In addition to running Android Automotive natively, it also supports input from smartphones via Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, both of which are a type of hybrid screen-casting system.

Where did you get the idea that there would be some difference between the Polestar (Lynk & Co) system and the Lotus (Lynk & Co) system? I thought they would be roughly equivalent, though with some style differences.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This whole thread is about the fact that the Emira will be using Google's Android Automotive platform for the ICE.

In addition to running Android Automotive natively, it also supports input from smartphones via Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, both of which are a type of hybrid screen-casting system.

Where did you get the idea that there would be some difference between the Polestar (Lynk & Co) system and the Lotus (Lynk & Co) system? I thought they would be roughly equivalent, though with some style differences.

Android Automotive is the operating system, but the features that are enabled could be entirely different between brands. The Volvo system lives on a bigger screen and has a persistent data connection (unconfirmed in the Lotus) so the question is, will they offer the same degree of functionality as the Polestar stuff, or scale it back due to limitations in pixels and cell data? I think that's the open question.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Android Automotive is the operating system, but the features that are enabled could be entirely different between brands. The Volvo system lives on a bigger screen and has a persistent data connection (unconfirmed in the Lotus) so the question is, will they offer the same degree of functionality as the Polestar stuff, or scale it back due to limitations in pixels and cell data? I think that's the open question.
The new version of Android Automotive scales freely with screen DPI, so it's not constrained in the way that you may be accustomed to from older systems which were 1:1 pixel ratio and had to be redesigned for each display type. The Polestar system was adapted from the Lynk & Co system which is in several of the Lynk products in the same display size as what's in the Emira, so in a way it may be the other way around, the Emira might be more native in design concept than the "larger" Polestar implementation.

It all remains to be seen. I don't expect it to be a mess, they did a good job on the Polestar setup.

These systems are typically internet-connection-optional, meaning that if you do have network connectivity in the car it gets live traffic, etc but without network it still has the base map and can do basic nav routing. Significantly enhanced if the data connection is present.

Most systems of this type have a 4G wireless device onboard and can accept a SIM card from an appropriate carrier. I'm looking forward to that if it's present, my service on Google Fi allows data-only SIM usage at no additional cost so it will just add some data consumption to my normal plan. Even if it's not present for some reason, a good hotspot is under $100 retail and can similarly be added onto a wireless plan.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m reviving this thread to see if we can clear up some questions:
  • Is the base operating system Android Automotive (and then you can run either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on top of that)?
  • Does the car have a SIM card of its own? Does it have its own modem (I.e. can it connect to the internet without being tethered to a phone)?
  • How are updates received (over the air? USB download and manually applied? Dealer only?)
  • Does it have built in navigation?

OP
VL3X

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Is the base operating system Android Automotive (and then you can run either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on top of that)? Correct
  • Does the car have a SIM card of its own? Does it have its own modem (I.e. can it connect to the internet without being tethered to a phone)? I don't think there is a SIM card slot or factory web browser, but there is GPS sat nav built in.
  • How are updates received (over the air? USB download and manually applied? Dealer only?) Not 100% sure if OTA updates are supported at all, but I know owners have been asked to bring the car to dealers for updates.
  • Does it have built in navigation? Yes, but you can obviously use Google or Apple Maps via Android Auto/Carplay