Road Driving Impressions

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Is it possible to disable hill start assist for whatever reason? I realize this may be a personal preference, but I've only driven one other manual transmission vehicle with hill start and I found it annoying. I suppose I can get used to it. Better than slipping the clutch I guess.
It becomes second nature after a while. I doubt you can disable.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
EspritGuy does Emira:

This moment for me was over a year in the making. All the Forum posts, reviews and videos were top of mind as I approached in Dallas a car I had seen in Austin. Was the hype real? What can you learn in 20 mins? Despite the automotive equivalent of speed-dating, here are my Impressions:

It’s eye candy whether parked or in traffic; A celebrity sighting. There’s substance to the looks.

Getting in better than my Esprit but more effort than with a taller sports sedan. Rear privacy glass visibility a challenge. Mirrors are good. Front visibility is great and interesting. Wheel arches (Becker points?) give you a dimension, as the nose of the car disappears into the roadway. Cockpit feeling. Everything is right in reach: arm on rest, shifter in hand and steering near shifter. Nice overhead display above console, plenty of headroom (I’m 5’10”).

Cup holder(s) more for small bottles or cups not so much coffee flasks. Steering wheel did not feel large or thick, right size and no issue with shape (squared bottom).

The steering points you with precision, the snappy supercharged engine moves you briskly. Interior noise comfortable (good KEF audio) and you need a window down to hear the exhaust notes.

Sports suspension is taut (kinda rigid, for you track fans) and the Touring mode gives the V6 some deep growl. Interior high quality and very refined. Ride is comfortable. Seat are infinitely adjustable, comfortable and supportive. Pedal position not problematic; acclimating to them lasts just a minute. Clutch travel seemed normal and was sensitive in engaging. Shifter was crisp and definite, no uncertainty about being in gear or hunting for one. Round shift knob feels comfortable and natural in your hand. Loved the acceleration. It forcefully thrusts you in quick in bursts as you punch through the gears. More than enough HP for me. I was limited to city speeds and suspect going above 60 MPH on open roads and superhighways will be hedonistically satisfying. Brakes are fantastic. They will haul you down faster than a State Trooper behind in his speeding ticket quota.

If you’re thinking there must be a negative: it’s the parking brake. You must reach low on the left side to find and hold a button to set or release it. Not of the opinion it’s user friendly. Let’s call it a quirk.

Reactions after getting past the eye candy looks: wonderfully responsive. Not just planted, glued. I felt a oneness with the Emira that I’ve never felt before. Overall – impressive design, engineering and handling achievement. In a Lotus sense, a modern classic.

Yes, I feel it’s worth the wait (and I still have maybe another year). The Emira is something to be enjoyed and cherished. Brand loyalty just got a boost.

PS: The plate is mine.
View attachment 9048View attachment 9048 View attachment 9049

View attachment 9047
View attachment 9047
Thanks! Glad you experienced it first hand.

Can you elaborate on ingress? What Makes it harder than a sports sedan? The head clearance? The side sill? I've a bad knee and I now squat down (facing the street) and swing my legs around. Is that doable? I'm 6'

Thanks!

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the review! Did you try the different modes as well as Tour?
Sport but not Track (discouraged). Hope I explained that correctly).

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks! Glad you experienced it first hand.

Can you elaborate on ingress? What Makes it harder than a sports sedan? The head clearance? The side sill? I've a bad knee and I now squat down (facing the street) and swing my legs around. Is that doable? I'm 6'

Thanks!
Easier than my Esprit (duck down low then pivot). I can step/ease into my sedan but crouch more to enter the Emira. It is, after all, an exotic sports car. Entering is not actually difficult. Head clearance is quite generous. Sill has width but not obtrusively so. It's the door length, which is not a complaint. The Emira has a wide seductive stance. You feel like you are entering a cockpit and become comfortably situated/nestled in the seat. And you have elbow room. I was told several of the interior design elements took their cue from the Esprit.
Yes, your entry maneuver should be fine. Best you find a car to test.
It was an initial impression and no doubt will be second nature when I have something to call my own.

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why would they possibly discourage trying track mode? I plan to beat the hell out of that thing when I finally get my hands on it. :ROFLMAO:
Not really sure. City streets. Speed limits. Local police. Being considerate of a demo vehicle many others are wanting to try. As they say, your results may vary.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really sure. City streets. Speed limits. Local police. Being considerate of a demo vehicle many others are wanting to try. As they say, your results may vary.

Yeah, I guess. But engaging track mode isn't going to instantly break any speed limits or laws. Maybe it's to keep traction and stability control on fully? Either way, I'd want to see if it felt any different and check out the change in driver's display.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Easier than my Esprit (duck down low then pivot). I can step/ease into my sedan but crouch more to enter the Emira. It is, after all, an exotic sports car. Entering is not actually difficult. Head clearance is quite generous. Sill has width but not obtrusively so. It's the door length, which is not a complaint. The Emira has a wide seductive stance. You feel like you are entering a cockpit and become comfortably situated/nestled in the seat. And you have elbow room. I was told several of the interior design elements took their cue from the Esprit.
Yes, your entry maneuver should be fine. Best you find a car to test.
It was an initial impression and no doubt will be second nature when I have something to call my own.
It was no problem for but I have the Evora and Emira is easier in and out

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Why would they possibly discourage trying track mode? I plan to beat the hell out of that thing when I finally get my hands on it. :ROFLMAO:
It'll be because of how TRACK mode learns the grip levels - you will get one hairy-moment corner after you first turn it on. This is from a write up of the modes on the V6 Exige, so very similar system to the Emira:

"Unlike TOUR and SPORT modes which are based on fixed slip thresholds (beyond which they cut the available torque to zero), TRACK manages the slip thresholds using a feedback loop between the car’s sensors. This is where it gets a bit technical but for those that are interested, when you plant your foot on the exit of a corner, the VDC estimates the grip available and allows a best guess amount of torque. If the car begins to oversteer it then reduces the allowed torque and this process continues in a loop until the allowed torque matches the available grip. At this point you have maximum possible traction. The learning process takes one clear intervention, that is, one oversteer moment at one corner – not a whole lap. But this learning process will need to be re-done at the beginning of each new session on track. The key thing to understand is that the system starts from a maximum yaw angle and torque threshold. In other words, you’re likely to experience a moment of oversteer while it learns. Thereafter, it will continue to minimize oversteer for the remainder of the session on track. In a car as responsive as an Exige, quick reactions will be needed to catch the slide, so TRACK is best left to more experienced drivers. In practice, this moment of oversteer has taken some owners by surprise and caused them switch the system back to SPORT, even though TRACK was just getting started!"

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be because of how TRACK mode learns the grip levels - you will get one hairy-moment corner after you first turn it on. This is from a write up of the modes on the V6 Exige, so very similar system to the Emira:

"Unlike TOUR and SPORT modes which are based on fixed slip thresholds (beyond which they cut the available torque to zero), TRACK manages the slip thresholds using a feedback loop between the car’s sensors. This is where it gets a bit technical but for those that are interested, when you plant your foot on the exit of a corner, the VDC estimates the grip available and allows a best guess amount of torque. If the car begins to oversteer it then reduces the allowed torque and this process continues in a loop until the allowed torque matches the available grip. At this point you have maximum possible traction. The learning process takes one clear intervention, that is, one oversteer moment at one corner – not a whole lap. But this learning process will need to be re-done at the beginning of each new session on track. The key thing to understand is that the system starts from a maximum yaw angle and torque threshold. In other words, you’re likely to experience a moment of oversteer while it learns. Thereafter, it will continue to minimize oversteer for the remainder of the session on track. In a car as responsive as an Exige, quick reactions will be needed to catch the slide, so TRACK is best left to more experienced drivers. In practice, this moment of oversteer has taken some owners by surprise and caused them switch the system back to SPORT, even though TRACK was just getting started!"

Hm.. so it has to relearn everytime you enter track mode? Interesting...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hm.. so it has to relearn everytime you enter track mode? Interesting...

Yes, it needs to adjust to the grip level each time you go into Track mode. Much more on it here, an article which was linked from my post on Drive Modes and Dynamic Performance Management:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is it weird that having a Hill Start Assist makes me happy.

Ask me why, LOL.

Also..........does anyone have a pic of where the Parking Brake button is?
It's in the handbook on page 22 - item 15 in this pic:

handbook - cabin p22.JPG

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. But engaging track mode isn't going to instantly break any speed limits or laws. Maybe it's to keep traction and stability control on fully? Either way, I'd want to see if it felt any different and check out the change in driver's display.
I heard one video that sounded like the exhaust note got louder in track mode? I hope so because sport mode wasn't as impressive as I hoped!

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it weird that having a Hill Start Assist makes me happy.

Ask me why, LOL.

Also..........does anyone have a pic of where the Parking Brake button is?
Not at all, especially if this has a light flywheel because clutch engagement should be more sudden. Laguna Beach has lots of steep inclines so the hill start assist will be quite welcome...:)

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
did you get a chance to drive it and compare it to the Evora? Which Evora do you currently have?
I have the Evora GT. Yes I drove the Emira
Love the car. Difficult to give a compare as the drive was not that long. The interior is imo far nicer and plush.
Brakes in Emira shaper than Evora.
Was the sport suspension which was great not as harsh as the Evora so will be better as a daily driver.
Pedal spacing for me was very similar so now issues there. Clutch pedal not as heavy as the Evora
Seating comfort was again imo better than the Evora.
Steering wheel took a few minutes to get used to little to thick but really not an issue when you get used to it. I do prefer the Evora wheel.
Cannot make a comparison on the instrument cluster as they are completely different digital vs analog but thought it was great.
Think anyone getting the Emira will be more than happy with the car.
Power and acceleration Evora is better but honestly unless you are going to track the car this for me was not a big deal.
Stunningly beautiful car.
Will be keeping both the Evora and the Emira
Once I get Emira In March if no more delays will then give a detailed comparison.
Lotus of Dallas had their grand opening last night. Great launch party. There were Senior lotus people there from UK and US there. We were told production for US will definitely start in January 2023.
Can’t wait for my Emira to arrive.

EDIT. Tom (great guy)from Lotus US drove with me
All he asked was that I do not red line let me do whatever I wanted to do. So that was cool. He also let me do the route twice.
I was a little cautious on speed as there were local police in two different places on the route. However I did manage to get up to 70 mph in a couple of places but ran out of road to push harder.

Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The improved NVH in the Emira compared to Evora will impact the feeling of speed and acceleration.

Based on paper specs, the Emira will be a bit slower than the last Evora (power to weight) in a straight line, but I'm not so sure that will be true around the twisties due to Emira's wider track, suspension and possibly better brakes. Time will tell!

Last edited: