Road Driving Impressions

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Aside from grand events, media reviews and LDA it's about to get real real with Emira experiences outside of test tracks and with regular folks. In the EU some customer cars are said to be delivered. In the U.S. LOG41 is underway with Emira appearances. Those cars are believed to then be sent on tour to various dealers, if not become outright demos.
In anticipation of 'the drive we've all been waiting for,' this is an invitation to share experiences that can bring the photos we've enjoyed to life.
Share the moment. We'll need it during the rest of our wait.
Cheers.

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Aside from grand events, media reviews and LDA it's about to get real real with Emira experiences outside of test tracks and with regular folks. In the EU some customer cars are said to be delivered. In the U.S. LOG41 is underway with Emira appearances. Those cars are believed to then be sent on tour to various dealers, if not become outright demos.
In anticipation of 'the drive we've all been waiting for,' this is an invitation to share experiences that can bring the photos we've enjoyed to life.
Share the moment. We'll need it during the rest of our wait.
Cheers.
Well, undone by my own optimism.
No army of Emiras at LOG 41.
No driver experiences shared from LOG 41.
Awaiting Dealer demo news.
Awaiting first-hand customer delivery reports.
Yet the only people with true finished production car Driving Impressions are the delivery truck crews in Antwerp. Counting on them.
(Many thanks to our Forum Belgium correspondant)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The posts with @GetawayDriving's LDA track driving experiences have been moved to the Track Experience thread here:

This thread was started to ask for road driving experiences - thread title edited accordingly 👍

JKP

Reaction score
I just drove the EMIRA in Dallas. Wow, not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It's bigger and wider (in a good way) than I expected, giving it more supercar presence and day to day usability than I was expecting. Dark Gray looks great! I am DV so I am optimistic about my choice now seeing a darker color on the car in the flesh. Honestly I think every color is going to be awesome after seeing it. It is PLENTY quick! It was a demo drive so I didn't attempt any 0-60 runs, but the car pulls extremely well across the entire RPM range. Honestly, I don't know how a guy like me could use more power on the street, which is my intended use. Glad I went touring as the sport suspension is good on the street, but as I intend to daily the car I think it would wear on me just a little given Dallas roadways. No issues with the pedal placement, noticed it for about 2 seconds and never thought of it again. Steering, amazing! Shifter, completely fine (nothing to complain about). Brakes, great! Fun factor, off the charts! Way more possible to daily than I ever thought possible in a car this fun. Truly, when I was driving it was thinking to myself the whole time, I finally got the next generation NSX I always wanted that they never built. My whole mindset has shifted away from comparing this car to other cars. Now all I can think about is how cool I felt driving this thing, how limited and special it is and how long I imagine it will continue to deliver smiles. After all the pessimism in these forums (and believe me, I've been part of it), I am here to fall on my sword and say "Thank You Lotus! Thank your for making a car like this when no-one else will. What is minimally lost in performance (maybe) to the last gen EVORA is more than made up for by what this thing is. I cannot wait to get mine come March... BTW, the Lotus rep onsite told me production is in full swing and the only delays now, if any, are related to freight/shipping which is out of their control. He confirmed my car is "still" arriving in March, along with the first lot of cars coming to the US.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just drove the EMIRA in Dallas. Wow, not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It's bigger and wider (in a good way) than I expected, giving it more supercar presence and day to day usability than I was expecting. Dark Gray looks great! I am DV so I am optimistic about my choice now seeing a darker color on the car in the flesh. Honestly I think every color is going to be awesome after seeing it. It is PLENTY quick! It was a demo drive so I didn't attempt any 0-60 runs, but the car pulls extremely well across the entire RPM range. Honestly, I don't know how a guy like me could use more power on the street, which is my intended use. Glad I went touring as the sport suspension is good on the street, but as I intend to daily the car I think it would wear on me just a little given Dallas roadways. No issues with the pedal placement, noticed it for about 2 seconds and never thought of it again. Steering, amazing! Shifter, completely fine (nothing to complain about). Brakes, great! Fun factor, off the charts! Way more possible to daily than I ever thought possible in a car this fun. Truly, when I was driving it was thinking to myself the whole time, I finally got the next generation NSX I always wanted that they never built. My whole mindset has shifted away from comparing this car to other cars. Now all I can think about is how cool I felt driving this thing, how limited and special it is and how long I imagine it will continue to deliver smiles. After all the pessimism in these forums (and believe me, I've been part of it), I am here to fall on my sword and say "Thank You Lotus! Thank your for making a car like this when no-one else will. What is minimally lost in performance (maybe) to the last gen EVORA is more than made up for by what this thing is. I cannot wait to get mine come March... BTW, the Lotus rep onsite told me production is in full swing and the only delays now, if any, are related to freight/shipping which is out of their control. He confirmed my car is "still" arriving in March, along with the first lot of cars coming to the US.
Great to hear! - I think the UK guys on here might disagree with you about production in full swing. For them it has to be more than shipping.

However good to hear a positive on road review!

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Judging by the excellent video posted by @Shyatic, I hope local police don't stake out the test drive route and create a truly memorable drive experience. Will know soon enough.

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just drove the EMIRA in Dallas. Wow, not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It's bigger and wider (in a good way) than I expected, giving it more supercar presence and day to day usability than I was expecting. Dark Gray looks great! I am DV so I am optimistic about my choice now seeing a darker color on the car in the flesh. Honestly I think every color is going to be awesome after seeing it. It is PLENTY quick! It was a demo drive so I didn't attempt any 0-60 runs, but the car pulls extremely well across the entire RPM range. Honestly, I don't know how a guy like me could use more power on the street, which is my intended use. Glad I went touring as the sport suspension is good on the street, but as I intend to daily the car I think it would wear on me just a little given Dallas roadways. No issues with the pedal placement, noticed it for about 2 seconds and never thought of it again. Steering, amazing! Shifter, completely fine (nothing to complain about). Brakes, great! Fun factor, off the charts! Way more possible to daily than I ever thought possible in a car this fun. Truly, when I was driving it was thinking to myself the whole time, I finally got the next generation NSX I always wanted that they never built. My whole mindset has shifted away from comparing this car to other cars. Now all I can think about is how cool I felt driving this thing, how limited and special it is and how long I imagine it will continue to deliver smiles. After all the pessimism in these forums (and believe me, I've been part of it), I am here to fall on my sword and say "Thank You Lotus! Thank your for making a car like this when no-one else will. What is minimally lost in performance (maybe) to the last gen EVORA is more than made up for by what this thing is. I cannot wait to get mine come March... BTW, the Lotus rep onsite told me production is in full swing and the only delays now, if any, are related to freight/shipping which is out of their control. He confirmed my car is "still" arriving in March, along with the first lot of cars coming to

Judging by the excellent video posted by @Shyatic, I hope local police don't stake out the test drive route and create a truly memorable drive experience. Will know soon enough.
EspritGuy does Emira:

This moment for me was over a year in the making. All the Forum posts, reviews and videos were top of mind as I approached in Dallas a car I had seen in Austin. Was the hype real? What can you learn in 20 mins? Despite the automotive equivalent of speed-dating, here are my Impressions:

It’s eye candy whether parked or in traffic; A celebrity sighting. There’s substance to the looks.

Getting in better than my Esprit but more effort than with a taller sports sedan. Rear privacy glass visibility a challenge. Mirrors are good. Front visibility is great and interesting. Wheel arches (Becker points?) give you a dimension, as the nose of the car disappears into the roadway. Cockpit feeling. Everything is right in reach: arm on rest, shifter in hand and steering near shifter. Nice overhead display above console, plenty of headroom (I’m 5’10”).

Cup holder(s) more for small bottles or cups not so much coffee flasks. Steering wheel did not feel large or thick, right size and no issue with shape (squared bottom).

The steering points you with precision, the snappy supercharged engine moves you briskly. Interior noise comfortable (good KEF audio) and you need a window down to hear the exhaust notes.

Sports suspension is taut (kinda rigid, for you track fans) and the Touring mode gives the V6 some deep growl. Interior high quality and very refined. Ride is comfortable. Seat are infinitely adjustable, comfortable and supportive. Pedal position not problematic; acclimating to them lasts just a minute. Clutch travel seemed normal and was sensitive in engaging. Shifter was crisp and definite, no uncertainty about being in gear or hunting for one. Round shift knob feels comfortable and natural in your hand. Loved the acceleration. It forcefully thrusts you in quick in bursts as you punch through the gears. More than enough HP for me. I was limited to city speeds and suspect going above 60 MPH on open roads and superhighways will be hedonistically satisfying. Brakes are fantastic. They will haul you down faster than a State Trooper behind in his speeding ticket quota.

If you’re thinking there must be a negative: it’s the parking brake. You must reach low on the left side to find and hold a button to set or release it. Not of the opinion it’s user friendly. Let’s call it a quirk.

Reactions after getting past the eye candy looks: wonderfully responsive. Not just planted, glued. I felt a oneness with the Emira that I’ve never felt before. Overall – impressive design, engineering and handling achievement. In a Lotus sense, a modern classic.

Yes, I feel it’s worth the wait (and I still have maybe another year). The Emira is something to be enjoyed and cherished. Brand loyalty just got a boost.

PS: The plate is mine.
1663869327840.png
1663869327840.png 1663869387154.png

1663869249967.jpeg
1663869249967.jpeg

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fantastic, thank you @EspritGuy !

Quick question... you said Sport chassis was taut / kinda rigid. But then said "Ride is comfortable." Can you talk a bit more about that? Bumpy at low speed but smooths out? Or are you referring to body response to direction changes when you say taut/rigid?

I'm trying to figure out whether the Sport is going to beat the hell out of me on "normal" (aka deteriorating) US roads.

OP
E

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fantastic, thank you @EspritGuy !

Quick question... you said Sport chassis was taut / kinda rigid. But then said "Ride is comfortable." Can you talk a bit more about that? Bumpy at low speed but smooths out? Or are you referring to body response to direction changes when you say taut/rigid?

I'm trying to figure out whether the Sport is going to beat the hell out of me on "normal" (aka deteriorating) US roads.
You feel every contour or texture of the road, because the Emira is so planted. It isn't a bad thing. I only shared my perspective. I am opting for the Touring suspension and won't be tracking it. Call it road feel. Choose what suits your needs. I want handling without the bounce. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. It's a very refined, disciplined sports car.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great review @EspritGuy !!! Glad to was an immersive experience. Don't worry about the hand brake position. It's the same on Porsche 718's, you get used to it after a while. She is pretty...

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Great review @EspritGuy !!! Glad to was an immersive experience. Don't worry about the hand brake position. It's the same on Porsche 718's, you get used to it after a while. She is pretty...

I think I'll have to get used to the electronic brake hill-assist thing more. Does this mean you can't roll back at all while in neutral with the clutch depressed?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I was going to say the same.
It has hill start assist so really isn't an issue when driving. Just parking and setting off only, so all good

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you’re thinking there must be a negative: it’s the parking brake. You must reach low on the left side to find and hold a button to set or release it. Not of the opinion it’s user friendly. Let’s call it a quirk.
Great review and great plate!

The parking brake should disengage automatically if you hold the car in first gear on the clutch bite point and then increase the revs and release the clutch - you shouldn't need to disengage the brake with the switch.

electric parking brake (handbook p167).JPG

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Great review and great plate!

The parking brake should disengage automatically if you hold the car in first gear on the clutch bite point and then increase the revs and release the clutch - you shouldn't need to disengage the brake with the switch.

View attachment 9051

Is it possible to disable hill start assist for whatever reason? I realize this may be a personal preference, but I've only driven one other manual transmission vehicle with hill start and I found it annoying. I suppose I can get used to it. Better than slipping the clutch I guess.