Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Could I trouble you for wheel specs?
Emira will be
F: 20x8.5 245/35/20
R: 20x10 295/30/20

Unconfirmed are center bore, bcd and offsets but I think I’ve seen mentioned that they’ve seen the Emira in the factory on old Evora wheels. Those had a 5x114.3 with a 68.1 center bore and roughly +55 offset front, +69 offset rear.

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Always nice having a bit more sidewall as well in case of unplanned slides towards curbs..
You mean like this?
hCAUFRe.jpg

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira will be
F: 20x8.5 245/35/20
R: 20x10 295/30/20

Unconfirmed are center bore, bcd and offsets but I think I’ve seen mentioned that they’ve seen the Emira in the factory on old Evora wheels. Those had a 5x115.3 with a 68.1 center bore and roughly +55 offset front, +69 offset rear.
How in the world can we shop aftermarket wheels with 115.3
Not happy

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
How in the world can we shop aftermarket wheels with 115.3
Not happy
Sorry typo 114.3 I’m on mobile :)

You’re still going to have a rough time shopping wheels with high offsets. I’m going custom for track wheels in 18”

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be an issue on most 18”, rotors and calipers aren’t that big. They’re a 4 piston AP racing 370/350 disc? I run a 6 4 piston 380/380 disc under an 18” with plenty of clearance to spare.

370mm under 18x8.5" wheels. Pretty snug, but no issues...

20211121_082117-01.jpeg

I think the issue with the Emira will be actually finding aftermarket wheels with the correct offset to sit properly and clear the calipers.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think the issue with the Emira will be actually finding aftermarket wheels with the correct offset to sit properly and clear the calipers.
Yup — don’t think I’ll be able to keep offsets anywhere near stock. Really limiting, even if we go custom for wheels.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I may bring a bit of JDM for the track wheels to the Emira. I think there's a set of Volk TE47 SL Sagas in F: 18x8.5 +45 114.3 73.1 CB and R: 18x10 +40 114.3 73.1CB that would fit okay. It only modifies scrub radius 10mm up front by pushing the wheels out by 10mm, and in the rear it pushes out 29mm which doesn't matter nearly as much as the front.

Should fit and look unique -- also I'm having a hard time finding anything that isn't completely custom. Other option is a set of Titan 7 T-S5 from the Veloster up front and a matching set of T-S5 from the Mustang fitment in the rear.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll add my driving impressions here! I drove two Emira over the weekend at the driving academy, a tour car and a sports car.

My primary question going into the academy day was how does the Emira compare to the Evora? I have very limited experience in the Evora, I’ve driven two of them (a 400 and a GT, both within the past 60 days) and my impression from those short drives was VERY positive, with the Evora feeling instantly intuitive and full of feedback and drama (the 400 I drove had a 3rd cat delete, unsure about the GT).

My academy day started in the Nimbus(!) Emira with touring suspension and Goodyears. First thing is first: Nimbus is THE color. It looks so damn good on this car. I had seen it before on the factory floor but not in sunshine. Would I rather have Isotope or Chrome Orange or one of the other bright skittle colors from the old order books? Probably. But out of the FE colors, Nimbus is the most special IMO, and in the same category of special as the skittles. Every so often I'd walk outside and just stare at it. Yellow is exotic looking and fantastic. Blue is nice, but imo something about Seneca just doesn’t quite pop for me, but it really does seem to depend on the lighting. I found Dark Verdant to be a little subdued, even plain. There were no Shadow or Magma cars on hand. Nimbus had the most depth and contrast, and looked classy, sporty and expensive.

First test for me was brake and avoid, which is a very weird thing to do straight away when you’ve never driven a particular car before (and when you're not used to being evasive with a RHD vehicle). I had no idea when I should begin braking, so I spent a few runs building confidence and still managed to absolutely murder a couple of cones. The Emira is wider than Lotus that came before it and it feels wider, or maybe that was my brain just unable to fully calculate where the left corner was when I'm on the right side. Funny how the mirror image can throw out so much spacial awareness. luckily, the school didn't charge me for the obliterated cones :)

Early impressions during this test:

I stalled it immediately. The grab point of the clutch is much lower than I was expecting. My instructor said almost everyone stalls it the first time. That was the only time though, as I quickly got used to it.

The wheel is chunky, but I don’t mind that. More of a problem for some people will be the shape. I was definitely grabbing for bits of the wheel that didn’t exist during corrective maneuvers or U-turns, but figure it’s something I'll get used to reasonably quickly. At least one other driver on this day became progressively more frustrated with the wheel shape. He has an Evora at home and seemed pretty flustered with right-hand drive in general, and I think the wheel shape just compounding this learning curve. Because of this, he found it difficult to compare it to his GT at home but did end up saying that if he didn't own the Evora and was going to buy a new car, he'd choose Emira.

The steering did not feel like it was as quick of a rack compared to Evora, which was a weird sensation I didn't expect. It could simply be the larger steering wheel (larger in width) giving that sensation of not turning as quickly. Maybe it's due to the car being wider. Could also be that I drove a Tesla there, which has completely numb laser-like video game steering. In any case, it wasn't a problem, just an initial observation that I quickly adapted to.

Driving position felt good, felt like I was sitting pretty low in the car. I'd actually prefer to sit a bit higher, but realize I'm in the minority on this and that my preferred position is not the recommended position for track work (I also like a lower steering wheel). I found the wheel, with its odd shape, still blocked the binnacle screen a bit in my driving position. Probably just needed more adjustment, I didn't take time to fuss with it. I saw the info I needed to see.

Brakes are excellent, as is control under braking. The pedal felt a bit progressive as first I thought I was mashing to the floor but I had more to go.

I noticed a little bit of sway in the body on the tour suspension, as expected. Nothing dramatic. Not an overly soft car.

I didn’t notice the seats, which I guess is a compliment. I wasn’t sliding around. I'm 6'0 and 175lbs, fairly slender so I feel like I'd slide if they were prone to. On the other side of this coin, I didn't notice the seats supporting me either, like I did in Evora. It struck me as very neutral support.

These were all right-hand drive cars, which was un-natural for me. On the RHD cars the pedals feel like they are further to the left than most other cars I've driven in the UK (which isn't all that many). There was one point where I went to hold the brake and hit the gas (in neutral) because the gas pedal is where I expected the brake to be. Another student said he hit the gas instead of the brake and it sent him off into the grass from the skid pad. That other student was also American and used to LHD cars. Could just be us yankees with this problem.

2nd test was skid pad, and it’s incredibly easy to induce understeer in this car on a wet pad. Oversteer is a different story. On a wet pad and a chilly day, it was still difficult to induce any oversteer, even on the Goodyears. This car is VERY grippy. I did induce it a couple of times and very easily corrected it. The car WANTS to grip and will help you get it straightened out quite naturally. This test is where the odd shape of the wheel made its presence known. My hands were fumbling a bit for it, but I assume this is something my brain would dial out after some experience with the car.

Third test was slalom, and I took it pretty easy. I had already murdered two cones in brake and avoid and didn’t want to attack any more, slalom was where my confused RHD spatial awareness might bite me most. The car went wherever I pointed it with ease, even if I pointed it somewhere later than I should have. It just turns, and always has more in its pocket.

1663590369128.png

1663590417494.png

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Part 2:

After lunch I swapped into a seneca car with black Alcantara interior and riding on Sport / Michelins for the 2 twenty minute track sessions.

The car pulls anywhere on the power band. It's a nice amount of power. I wouldn't call the accelerate gleeful, but it is competent. Keep in mind I've owned Tesla performance models, my window for glee has shifted. I certainly forgot to shift once or twice and rather than bog down, I had plenty of torque to carry on and make me look a *little* less like a fool and more like it might have been intentional.

If I were to describe the track experience in one word it would have to be: confidence. This car inspires a LOT of confidence, and I found myself pushing harder than I've ever pushed on day 1 of getting to know a car. Turn-in is spectacular. I'd botch an Apex and have to turn-in sharper off-line and the car simply shrugged and complied without complaining, like it had a lot more to give me at any moment and at any speed. I don't know how high this car's limits are, but it raised mine while not being anywhere near its own.

The engine note is a lovely howl, but it is not the Evora's wail. Maybe a 3rd cat delete would bring the Emira equal. The Emira had more burbles than Evora by my ear, but I recall the first time I drove an Evora GT and put my foot in it, it felt raucous and untamed, and made the heart flutter for sure. I did not get that sensation in the Emira. It was less of a wyld styllion and more of a tamed thoroughbred. I swear the Seneca car was louder than the Nimbus car. I was told I was not the only one to say that, but there was no reason why one car should be louder than another. I suppose it could have been the cold start, since the blue car was not used during the morning sessions.

Gear change felt good to me, classic lotus. There was one instance of it not wanting to slot into 4th, which took a split second of pause and retry. The rest of the day was flawless. Perhaps not as snicky as Evora, closer to the heavier shift action of Elise /Exige, which is odd since it's the Evora running gear. Also I was shifting with my left hand, so that could have been throwing off these sensations. Clutch weight felt good. I rev-matched just once and felt the same light flywheel sensation as Evora.

Sport suspensions: felt fine to me. Track was smooth but I purposefully hit some kerbs and it glided right over without any fuss. It might have a little more chatter-y bounce over uneven pavement but I had to "listen" for it to even notice it it, and it certainly wasn't harsh. On track sport suspension was just blissful, so I have no regrets ticking this box.

Overall, I'm delighted by the car. I'm still Evora-curious but, I think the Emira will be truly special if the understeer is dialed out (same as previous Lotus) and the 3rd cat is deleted so that V6 lets its hair down a bit.

And I can't emphasize this enough, this car is beautiful. I've seen it before on 4 or 5 different occasions but in Nimbus grey in the sunshine I cannot think of a better looking car at any price point. It's very, very special in that way. Also the headlight signature when it's driving toward you from a distance looks very exotic, while also being kindred to Elige in silhouette. The DNA is there if you squint, which I think is very cool.

I didn't take many photos, as I wanted to respect the rules. I also didn't think I was capturing anything that hasn't been seen before. I've attached one of Nimbus that shows how dynamic the color is across the surfacing.

Overall impressions: Evora more visceral out of the box, and perhaps a little more playful* feeling BUT must place a giant Asterix here in that I wasn't able to drive the car alone (always with instructor) and I wasn't used to RHD at all so it could have been nerves preventing that feeling of playfulness. Emira looks more special than Evora, it's just a stunner. Look-back factor on this car is for sure an 11. The interior is nicer, but I think the interior in the later Evora is pretty nice actually. The driving EXPERIENCE of the Emira, just the view out and the sensations of turn-in etc struck me as a little more Exige than Evora. NOT equivalent to Exige, which is smaller, lighter and more nimble feeling, but like Exige's big brother. A different thing that's most certainly blood related.

And a shout out to the whole staff at the LDA, who were fantastic. Patient and kind and generally a pleasure to spend time with, and also helpful in developing skills. I do wish there was a step up from here, because right as you're getting used to the car and getting into a flow with some confidence and consistency, the day is over. I'd gladly come back for a day that was 4x twenty minute sessions, maybe with some data logging and debrief between each. My feedback form says "Recommended for next level: Yes" but as far as I'm aware, there isn't one!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If I were to describe the track experience in one word it would have to be: confidence. This car inspires a LOT of confidence, and I found myself pushing harder than I've ever pushed on day 1 of getting to know a car. Turn-in is spectacular. I'd botch an Apex and have to turn-in sharper off-line and the car simply shrugged and complied without complaining, like it had a lot more to give me at any moment and at any speed. I don't know how high this car's limits are, but it raised mine while not being anywhere near its own.

My same first impression when I drove an Evora GT. I too found myself pushing the Evora GT through S curves harder than I thought I would. When I missed an Apex and had to correct it I felt as though my driving skill couldn't upset the car. Hence, this car will be very fun to drive.

Thanks for the write up. You really seem to loooove Nimbus!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Part 2:

After lunch I swapped into a seneca car with black Alcantara interior and riding on Sport / Michelins for the 2 twenty minute track sessions.

The car pulls anywhere on the power band. It's a nice amount of power. I wouldn't call the accelerate gleeful, but it is competent. Keep in mind I've owned Tesla performance models, my window for glee has shifted. I certainly forgot to shift once or twice and rather than bog down, I had plenty of torque to carry on and make me look a *little* less like a fool and more like it might have been intentional.

The engine note is a lovely howl, but it is not the Evora's wail. Maybe a 3rd cat delete would bring the Emira equal. The Emira had more burbles than Evora by my ear, but I recall the first time I drove an Evora GT and put my foot in it, it felt raucous and untamed, and made the heart flutter for sure. I did not get that sensation in the Emira. It was less of a wyld styllion and more of a tamed thoroughbred. I swear the Seneca car was louder than the Nimbus car. I was told I was not the only one to say that, but there was no reason why one car should be louder than another. I suppose it could have been the cold start, since the blue car was not used during the morning sessions.

Gear change felt good to me, classic lotus. There was one instance of it not wanting to slot into 4th, which took a split second of pause and retry. The rest of the day was flawless. Perhaps not as snicky as Evora, closer to the heavier shift action of Elise /Exige, which is odd since it's the Evora running gear. Also I was shifting with my left hand, so that could have been throwing off these sensations. Clutch weight felt good. I rev-matched just once and felt the same light flywheel sensation as Evora.

Sport suspensions: felt fine to me. Track was smooth but I purposefully hit some kerbs and it glided right over without any fuss. It might have a little more chatter-y bounce over uneven pavement but I had to "listen" for it to even notice it it, and it certainly wasn't harsh. On track sport suspension was just blissful, so I have no regrets ticking this box.

Overall, I'm delighted by the car. I'm still Evora-curious but, I think the Emira will be truly special if the understeer is dialed out (same as previous Lotus) and the 3rd cat is deleted so that V6 lets its hair down a bit.

And I can't emphasize this enough, this car is beautiful. I've seen it before on 4 or 5 different occasions but in Nimbus grey in the sunshine I cannot think of a better looking car at any price point. It's very, very special in that way. Also the headlight signature when it's driving toward you from a distance looks very exotic, while also being kindred to Elige in silhouette. The DNA is there if you squint, which I think is very cool.

I didn't take many photos, as I wanted to respect the rules. I also didn't think I was capturing anything that hasn't been seen before. I've attached one of Nimbus that shows how dynamic the color is across the surfacing.

Overall impressions: Evora more visceral out of the box, and perhaps a little more playful* feeling BUT must place a giant Asterix here in that I wasn't able to drive the car alone (always with instructor) and I wasn't used to RHD at all so it could have been nerves preventing that feeling of playfulness. Emira looks more special than Evora, it's just a stunner. Look-back factor on this car is for sure an 11. The interior is nicer, but I think the interior in the later Evora is pretty nice actually. The driving EXPERIENCE of the Emira, just the view out and the sensations of turn-in etc struck me as a little more Exige than Evora. NOT equivalent to Exige, which is smaller, lighter and more nimble feeling, but like Exige's big brother. A different thing that's most certainly blood related.

And a shout out to the whole staff at the LDA, who were fantastic. Patient and kind and generally a pleasure to spend time with, and also helpful in developing skills. I do wish there was a step up from here, because right as you're getting used to the car and getting into a flow with some confidence and consistency, the day is over. I'd gladly come back for a day that was 4x twenty minute sessions, maybe with some data logging and debrief between each. My feedback form says "Recommended for next level: Yes" but as far as I'm aware, there isn't one!
Great review! Looks like you had a great time, and have a stronger stomach than other member here... haha

Nimbus looks amazing, and I think I have switched over from DV.... Are you doing black pack on Nimbus?

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Part 2:

Great feedback. (y) Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear that turn-in is good, and Exige-like in feel. Understeer can be cured relatively easily. How was the weight transfer on turn-in if one were to compare Touring with Sport suspension?

How much of an issue was the shape of the steering wheel, and by the end of the day did you feel that you had got accustomed to it?

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great review! Looks like you had a great time, and have a stronger stomach than other member here... haha

Nimbus looks amazing, and I think I have switched over from DV.... Are you doing black pack on Nimbus?

I did not opt for black pack on Nimbus, but I still waiver on this decision. I was really digging the car with black pack.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great feedback. (y) Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear that turn-in is good, and Exige-like in feel. Understeer can be cured relatively easily. How was the weight transfer on turn-in if one were to compare Touring with Sport suspension?

How much of an issue was the shape of the steering wheel, and by the end of the day did you feel that you had got accustomed to it?

I didn't push the tour car as hard as the sport car, so it's hard to compare weight transfer. Sport felt like it was loading up the outside without any lean, the car settled back to neutral very quickly. The closest I have to compare the tour car is the brake and avoid, where I went from 70mph to full brake and swerve-under-ABS into a different cone box. There was certainly more lean there, but I wasn't waiting for the car to settle before doing something else (and I was also pure reflex in that moment and not really registering what was going on in the chassis).

The shape of the wheel gets in the way when you're going full-lock, because you're going hand-over-hand and grabbing for a shape that isn't there. That's not an issue when you're at speed and locked at 9-and-3. So it's mostly low-speed fumbling, or I suppose if you were to get out of shape and had to real it back in. I do assume it would become natural, but I didn't get enough time in those two scenarios above to really adapt. Just a couple of skids on the pad and a handful of U-turns on track to make another run through slalom.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

is that the first angry face? aha
Stronger stomach but worse eye sight as the starter of the thread wants real world reviews here, not track ones, but it has to go somewhere, so why not. Will leave it to Tom to move if he deems fit to do so and I am happy to read it one way or another.
I agree with most things, certainly grip levels, but will have to agree to disagree over the steering wheel and seats... I could feel myself moving laterally quite a bit more than in other sports cars and the wheel to me was the perfect thickness. I dont remember anyone stalling.... but not a big deal if it was simply once. One car could give more noise and bops than other if it had more use, or heavier use and hence more carbon build up inside the exhaust, or so one car manufacturer told me.

Moderator edit: posts related to track driving experience moved from original thread (road driving impressions) to here.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeReigns

Reaction score
Part 2:

Thank you for all the feedback! I've gone Nimbus as well with sport and Michelins. I too have heard it feels more Exige/Elise like. Driving a RHD on track has to be a little awkward. I was just going through the steps of driving one in my head. I'm thinking the 3rd cat delete may get us closer to the Evora wail I think many are hoping for.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Let's not forget that Nimbus is faster, specially with full BP.

Just saying what a friend told me, after using the cupholders

Now on a serious note, great report even if the wheel was on the opposite side

Thanks a lot @GetawayDriving