Rennlist not a fan of Emira

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was curious what Porsche people were thinking about the new Lotus. Not really surprised by the post I found below. Seems like most appreciate the design but question the Lotus brand build ability. Not changing my mind just looking at the other side. I have had a Porsche before but never a Lotus.

| Lotus Exige Cup 255 owner here, totally agree with the feedback here.

For everyone else, during my near 7 year ownership of the above vehicle, here are some of the things that really made me disappointed (let's not talk about the definition of spartan or luxury or technology because when you buy a Lotus, you know what you're getting yourself into).

- Built quality, what is this? You're lucky your car is built on a sunny day and when the guys working on it are motivated in Hethel.

- When it rains, it pours. There is no such thing as sealing, water just flows in from wherever there is a gap. Towels always helped soak things up though, I suppose it's cool.

- Electrics, British can't wire for the life of them and it is evidently displayed here. At the right angle, throttle input, my car would go into sudden limp mode (total loss of power) and required me to do a few magical steps of clutching out, change gears down or up quick enough at any moment's notice to restore power just as magically as it went out, talk about training your reflex reactions.

- Panels don't line up, parts and components just mysteriously disintegrate and break apart, I once inserted a key into my ancient fuel cap and the locking mechanism simply disintegrated rendering the cap locked and unremovable, the only way to get the fuel cap off was to remove the entire filler cap assembly away from the rear clam shell, because well what do you really hope from the racing inspired fuel cap?

- Doors don't close or lock up until there is some favorable ambient temperature to bring the hinges into alignment, otherwise holding the door while I drove was an acceptable practice while shifting gears and steering, multi-tasking is a skill you learn very quickly.

Sure, when it works, it works. It's at best a well-built kit car, they relied too much Colin Chapman's reputation to keep the hype going.

The Emira or whatever Arab Prince's halo they're trying to inspire has a power unit that is effectively an outdated camry engine, I don't care what supercharger or turbo unit you slap onto it, it isn't some grand engine. The 4 banger from AMG, at best is the one used in the latest A45. Why are we getting excited about 4 bangers when everyone hated 4 cylinder 718s and hailed Porsche for the right decision to bring back that flat 6?

Just comparing performance and saying Lotus is now a competitor with Porsche is just pissing in the wind. Please stop the insult.

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve never had a Lotus before but have had 4 911s and the wife an early Cayenne and now a 718 Boxster S.

The Cayenne. Cracked coolant pipes between the V of the V8 failed on our driveway thankfully. Suffered from bore scoring (went in for a misfire and never came back out). Owned from new to £3.5k in scrap. So she went over to Audi for a while.

997.1 GT3 smoke on start up and constantly leaking oil for which I was quoted £9.7k for a jumped up rubber bung.

997.2 GT3RS never a problem as I had a later one where the coolant pipe was longer so it would take more glue and no longer spit people into the Armco on the track.

Yes, all great cars but far from perfect. Check out the Pistonheads buying guide from a couple of days ago. It’s a hell of a long list of things to watch out for.

Yes, I would prefer a different engine to the Toyota but I ended up spending so much time looking for my next 911 I got bored and the Emira was live at first sight.

OP
Green

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Why bother? I'm on Rennlist quite often for Porsche specifics. Just like here, it is very biased and rightfully so. People protect their turf. It will always be so.
I was bored.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was curious what Porsche people were thinking about the new Lotus. Not really surprised by the post I found below. Seems like most appreciate the design but question the Lotus brand build ability. Not changing my mind just looking at the other side. I have had a Porsche before but never a Lotus.

| Lotus Exige Cup 255 owner here, totally agree with the feedback here.

For everyone else, during my near 7 year ownership of the above vehicle, here are some of the things that really made me disappointed (let's not talk about the definition of spartan or luxury or technology because when you buy a Lotus, you know what you're getting yourself into).

- Built quality, what is this? You're lucky your car is built on a sunny day and when the guys working on it are motivated in Hethel.

- When it rains, it pours. There is no such thing as sealing, water just flows in from wherever there is a gap. Towels always helped soak things up though, I suppose it's cool.

- Electrics, British can't wire for the life of them and it is evidently displayed here. At the right angle, throttle input, my car would go into sudden limp mode (total loss of power) and required me to do a few magical steps of clutching out, change gears down or up quick enough at any moment's notice to restore power just as magically as it went out, talk about training your reflex reactions.

- Panels don't line up, parts and components just mysteriously disintegrate and break apart, I once inserted a key into my ancient fuel cap and the locking mechanism simply disintegrated rendering the cap locked and unremovable, the only way to get the fuel cap off was to remove the entire filler cap assembly away from the rear clam shell, because well what do you really hope from the racing inspired fuel cap?

- Doors don't close or lock up until there is some favorable ambient temperature to bring the hinges into alignment, otherwise holding the door while I drove was an acceptable practice while shifting gears and steering, multi-tasking is a skill you learn very quickly.

Sure, when it works, it works. It's at best a well-built kit car, they relied too much Colin Chapman's reputation to keep the hype going.

The Emira or whatever Arab Prince's halo they're trying to inspire has a power unit that is effectively an outdated camry engine, I don't care what supercharger or turbo unit you slap onto it, it isn't some grand engine. The 4 banger from AMG, at best is the one used in the latest A45. Why are we getting excited about 4 bangers when everyone hated 4 cylinder 718s and hailed Porsche for the right decision to bring back that flat 6?

Just comparing performance and saying Lotus is now a competitor with Porsche is just pissing in the wind. Please stop the insult.
All I can think is that he bought a crappily looked after car or he didn’t look after it.

Currently have an averagely maintained S1 Elise and none of what he says resonates at all. Same went for the other 2 Exige and Elise’s I’ve owned.

What about the Porsche chocolate fireguard engine? Can’t buy a 1999 to 2009 car as the engine is crap according to Porsche snobs!

GT3 engines go up in flames. Not seem any high mileage ones either!

911 Gear sticks that just come apart in the hand.
Porsche tax.

Can’t actually buy the car you want to buy.

The lightweight ones being laughably bloody heavy.

Called widow makers for many years. For good reason.

Suspension made out of rocks.

And I like Porsche!

All a bit pathetic really. I guess he might think the Emira launch and future Lotus products must threaten threaten the re-sale value of his Porsche!

But people who live in glass houses….

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've had 14 porsches and am a fan (currentlyhave a gt4), however I've had issues over the years, rejected one new one after 3 months of nothing but grief , had one break down at 5mths old, sold it shortly after and the dealer told me it set itself on fire for the next owner, had a couple of the older gen cars (when they were new) with RMS issues. And finally one with a sunroof that just wouldn't stop bloody squeaking.

The most dissapointing of the 45 cars I've owned however was my s1 elise, again when they were new, I found nothing to like about it other than the steering and when it rained it was just comical how much water got in the car 🤣

So there's good cars and bad cars and cars that suit the drivers needs and wants and those that don't

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
What were you expecting? Porsche owners to admire any other car? You need to justify the ADM on those 150k VW cars! They are all type A wall street and Silicon Valley uber successful. They live perfect lives and their problems are the brake dust!

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I acquired my first porsche in 1978, a 1974 914 2.0. I currently have a 2021 718 Spyder in the garage. In the interim I’ve owned 14 Porsche’s, all but 2 of them used because I refused to lose the initial depreciation (Porsche Tax) and they change so incrementally that it rarely made sense to swap them out quickly. Over the years they have been fairly trouble free IF, and it’s a big IF, you are religious about maintenance and stay current on any systemic flaws that might pop up. I did get tagged with coolant pipe and rear shaft carrier bearing on a 2005 Cayenne TT, and a transfer case on a 2015 Macan S, all covered under warranty / extended warranty.

So yes, I’m a Porschephile and have no qualms admitting it. I’ve completely enjoyed every one I’ve owned. So much so that when I’ve ventured afield with other brands I’ve always come back. Each brand that has had continuity of ownership or engineering has an embedded DNA. I’m basically imprinted with the Porsche DNA as my benchmark to which all others are measured against. It is literally something that can’t be explained so if you haven’t felt it you won’t understand. I’m 100% sure that the BMW, Corvette, Mercedes and especially Lotus faithful can understand.

Based on having spent some quality time behind the wheel of older Lotus products I’m going into the Emira purchase with both eyes open. I want to experience “Lotus” as an owner, it’s kind of a bucket list thing. That doesn’t diminish my appreciation of Porsche in any way, shape or form. Only a close minded idiot would think otherwise.

Who know, maybe I won’t fall in love but at least I will have tried.

Last edited:

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Rennlist are barely fans of themselves. I've never seen a more toxic community. They probably do bad reviews of their own families.
Ain’t that the truth. I joined Rennlist back in 1999/2000 when it was barely more than a message board. I gave up on them around 2010 and only came back when I was waiting on my Spyder to arrive since I was bored.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ain’t that the truth. I joined Rennlist back in 1999/2000 when it was barely more than a message board. I gave up on them around 2010 and only came back when I was waiting on my Spyder to arrive since I was bored.
I used to lurk in the GT3 section and I have never witnessed a more entitled bunch of babies. I found it hilarious that they have "spec discrimination", aka, the more "rare" a spec, the better you are.

If you show up in a base 911, you're a pleb.

I mean, I'm a car enthusiast but I don't for a second forget that at the end of the day..........it's still just a car.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Well as a Porsche owner, my opinion still haven't changed after reviews, you want to have fun on streets? Get Emira, you want to have fun on track? get Porsche.

As for Quality, I know alot of guys had issues with their Porsches but in my whole life post 2015 Porsche cars are more reliable and higher quality cars than any other brands I owned which are endless from Ferraris to Lambos to BMWs to Mercedes even KIA and Lexus, Porsches I owned post 2015 are 2 X 981 Cayman GTS, 991 GT3RS, 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GT2RS, not a single problem in any of these and done combined easily over 100K miles.

So yeah in terms of build quality don't expect Emira to reach Porsche level all of a sudden but I don't think it will be far off, Lotus want to make sure their new brand image speaks quality and Emira is part of it, I'm sure Lotus guys not stupid enough to not use these delays in their advantage by improving quality, what Porsche did post 2015 cars is introduce new quality control system that helped them alot.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I used to lurk in the GT3 section and I have never witnessed a more entitled bunch of babies. I found it hilarious that they have "spec discrimination", aka, the more "rare" a spec, the better you are.

If you show up in a base 911, you're a pleb.

I mean, I'm a car enthusiast but I don't for a second forget that at the end of the day..........it's still just a car.
I always wondered if a lot of the people on rennlist work for Porsche / dealers to push these ideas of "rare" builds and better options etc.... I have seen a far amount of ridiculous comments in these regards. They don't seem like enthusiasts at all. Already like Lotus owners better!

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well as a Porsche owner, my opinion still haven't changed after reviews, you want to have fun on streets? Get Emira, you want to have fun on track? get Porsche.

As for Quality, I know alot of guys had issues with their Porsches but in my whole life post 2015 Porsche cars are more reliable and higher quality cars than any other brands I owned which are endless from Ferraris to Lambos to BMWs to Mercedes even KIA and Lexus, Porsches I owned post 2015 are 2 X 981 Cayman GTS, 991 GT3RS, 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GT2RS, not a single problem in any of these and done combined easily over 100K miles.

So yeah in terms of build quality don't expect Emira to reach Porsche level all of a sudden but I don't think it will be far off, Lotus want to make sure their new brand image speaks quality and Emira is part of it, I'm sure Lotus guys not stupid enough to not use these delays in their advantage by improving quality, what Porsche did post 2015 cars is introduce new quality control system that helped them alot.
Honestly if I really just wanted fun on a track - I'd just get a Caterham Superlight R500 and smoke every single Porsche on the field. :ROFLMAO:

Keep my Emira as the weekend cruiser, and then my daily beater SUV for grocery runs.

I'm in the weird camp where you have 1 purpose built vehicle for a specific application - street, track, daily. I don't want one vehicle to do everything.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Honestly if I really just wanted fun on a track - I'd just get a Caterham Superlight R500 and smoke every single Porsche on the field. :ROFLMAO:

Keep my Emira as the weekend cruiser, and then my daily beater SUV for grocery runs.

I'm in the weird camp where you have 1 purpose built vehicle for a specific application - street, track, daily. I don't want one vehicle to do everything.
Well same can be said about on street, surely Morgan Super 3 is more fun than Emira on road but that's a totally different scenario, Emira + Cayman + 911 are cars made to do it all with focus on sports driving, but each have different character to it, in streets you not gonna enjoy a 9000RPM Flat 6 engine much cause that will put you in jail, so a SC V6 in Emira more suitable due to having more character to it at low speeds, the Manual in Emira over time have more character also despite being worse overall (I know sounds stupid but it's true), the chassis + steering have more character on the road and more feel.

Porsche Cayman or 911 chassis are more precise on track, the Flat 6 engine comes alive there, drove Evora GT and have Exige final edition I can tell you on track GT3 or GT4 or even Cayman GTS are more exciting, the PDK also adds to the experience on track (I prefer PDK over Manual on track), Exige might be the only (sports) car that comes close to them otherwise you will have to look to supercars or track only cars like you mentioning, that's why I'm keeping Exige despite having GT4RS in order, cause Exige provides more raw experience while GT4RS I bet provides most exciting experience.

The car I want to see from Lotus is a track focused Emira but with I4 engine + dual clutch transmission, the I4 is alot of fun don't let it's exterior sound or cyllinders number fool you, having a car like this with lots of downforce and more weight reduction focus is an instant buy from me but I want to see a 480hp mark also, this engine is crazy I know it can do it.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I always wondered if a lot of the people on rennlist work for Porsche / dealers to push these ideas of "rare" builds and better options etc.... I have seen a far amount of ridiculous comments in these regards. They don't seem like enthusiasts at all. Already like Lotus owners better!
There were some old school Lotus owners who weren't overly welcoming a year ago when all the newbies joined...

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Look, is a Cayman GTS a better made car with a better engine than the Emira 6 cyl? Yes....is it more fun to drive, probably know. Does the manual gearing in the Cayman suck and ruin the fun of a manual? Yes...that alone is a showstopper for me. Plus Caymans are a dime a dozen compared to Lotus. I look forward to my Emira....whichever year it gets here!...; )